RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
poundforpound

Are there any adjectives left to describe Jamie Richards ?

34 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

An absolute huge loss to NZ racing...one of THE best to ever train here...JMHO...huge shoes to try to fill.

Surely he’d be the best wouldn’t he ?

I can’t think of a better on, DJ maybe, Gibbsy, Jimmy Tomkinson……maybe equal but none better IMV 

He just does extraordinary things every week 

I was pleased to see PFP mention J.C. Tomkinson.  He trained for members of the South Island's squatocracy, and he did a bloody marvellous job.  Tomkinson was one whom my father had huge respect for, but Jamie Richards has now shown that he is the best trainer that our country has ever seen.  That Group One Levin Classic today; I doubt whether we will see that sort thing again in my lifetime.  Possibly PFP should have mentioned Ray Verner in that list of champion trainers, but the late Ray is nothing compared with Jamie.

16 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I can’t think of a better on, DJ maybe, Gibbsy, Jimmy Tomkinson……maybe equal but none better IMV 

He sure does but compared to the oldtimers mentioned he has a ready and constant stream of a hundred horses at his disposal which is a distinct advantage but on the other hand he has the right horses ready for the right races at the right time. Must be a pretty hefty burdan. It's one thing to get to the top. The pressure is then on to remain there. Don't know a lot about the H K scene but he's a man who will adjust and adapt I have little doubt. On the home front there's little reason why Mark Walker shouldn't continue the momentum. They don't race many over autumn and winter so he will have plenty of time to get settled back into the old routine. Always something to look forward to in racing.

16 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I can think of a few more. Colin Jillings and Trevor McKee. Good at setting horses for certain races.

The last race at Ellerslie almost belonged to the McKee's.

Malcom Smith and Bill Sanders.

Murray Baker has an incredible record. 

Jeff Lynds has an astonishing record with unfashionably bred horses. He has given Danske, Just a Dancer, Electronic Zone and Don Edurado their only group 1 winners.  Just off top of head. 

I think Jamie Richard’s, on top of his horse skills he has all the all round package (runs a big team of horses and staff, personable, modern and great communictor) to be a big success in HK.  He has had Te Akau as a force in Oz since he has been there. 

47 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Murray Baker has an incredible record. 

Jeff Lynds has an astonishing record with unfashionably bred horses. He has given Danske, Just a Dancer, Electronic Zone and Don Edurado their only group 1 winners.  Just off top of head. 

I think Jamie Richard’s, on top of his horse skills he has all the all round package (runs a big team of horses and staff, personable, modern and great communictor) to be a big success in HK.  He has had Te Akau as a force in Oz since he has been there. 

Others before him have had the force of TA as well but none have the record he does...he is a different class...a horseman and a people manager as well...I really hope he succeeds in Hong Kong I wish them both well there.

20 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Right until the very end…he’s doing things no trainer should be able to do 

Re the adjectives:  "supererogatory" springs to mind.

F

3 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Others before him have had the force of TA as well but none have the record he does...he is a different class...a horseman and a people manager as well...I really hope he succeeds in Hong Kong I wish them both well there.

I think Mark Walker will find the horses he is competing against a lot different than when he was last here too. 

On 3/19/2022 at 6:02 PM, poundforpound said:

Agree almost entirely with you ,though slipping Jimmy Tomkinson in there maybe a bit of bias ,as he more a 'boutique' trainer.

I doubt if any trainer in NZ has been handed such an artillery of horse power  , buying power and great administration and organised ,dedicated staff as JR.

He went in when the stable was clearly in the top 2 x stables in NZ so had a good start.And clearly taken them to next level.

Of course ,since it all under his name the Otago bred lad has shown what can be done if you get out of bed early . 

Since training alone his Stable has travelled extensively and gone for and achieved domination in most of NZ's major races.

Impressive.

In NZ Harness the Purdon empire has ruled for much longer at dominating big races in NZ and throughout Australia too.

The CD has produced some good trainers over the years...Syd Brown , Eric Ropiha , Noel Eales , Brian Deacon as well as Baker who was mentioned earlier.

Further south , Cochrane and Winsloe won NZ Premierships in days when 50 wins was enough  then there was DPWilson , AEDidham, HAAnderton and WJHillis who won many of NZ's big races at different times and certainly kept the big Northern stables on their toes !