RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Iraklis

The Race

In Aussie they create a lot of interest for the Everest through all the lead up races. For weeks out from the big event there are numerous relevant lead ups. This NZ version seems to be a totally one off, stand alone event with no residual value to any other races. Am I right in understanding that Auckland doesn't run a single lead up race to this $900,000 event? Seems weird to me.

As someone who doesn't follow the trots much these days, only what I see mentioned on here, it is noticeable that there hasn't been a single mention of this race in mainstream media. I seem to recall the original idea was that the slot holders would somehow get all sorts of publicity for their benevolence.

12 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

In Aussie they create a lot of interest for the Everest through all the lead up races. For weeks out from the big event there are numerous relevant lead ups. This NZ version seems to be a totally one off, stand alone event with no residual value to any other races. Am I right in understanding that Auckland doesn't run a single lead up race to this $900,000 event? Seems weird to me.

As someone who doesn't follow the trots much these days, only what I see mentioned on here, it is noticeable that there hasn't been a single mention of this race in mainstream media. I seem to recall the original idea was that the slot holders would somehow get all sorts of publicity for their benevolence.

Somewhat hastily organised , and intention is to place it among other  big Group Races in North ie the Taylor Mile , The Messenger , and in particular the Auckland Cup in late May. This 'window' is/was at the end of the major Group  races in Australia. Australian interest crucial to the success of the RACE.

In this first year ,there was the danger that Covid discouraged the inclusion of Australian horses but I think they did well to have 3 x Kiwi horses return from Aussie plus 2 x Aussie horses. Keeping in mind that there are only a handful of horses rated 100+ currently in NZ.

To date WD the glass should be half full on this one !

We'reDoomed mate, I've seen an ad when watchin the BoxSeat on the racin channel, has anyone seen anything anywhere else? I get the herald online but I haven't seen anything in there....I know if I was a Slot Holder I'd want to see summit for my input.....I agree Tas reckon this one was hastily done, probably be better one next year, they'll take learnings from this one...

Cheers Iraklis

I totally agree WE'RE DOOMED about the lack of lead-up races. Sadly, some of the contenders didn't get a run at Auckland last week, the race scrapped after only four noms. This type of concept absolutely needs a buildup over numerous weeks when with each win comes speculation about whom slot holders will chase. The Cambridge club has done a terrific job getting The Race off the ground but it will never develop as it should if it remains a stand alone event.  Sadly, media coverage is now virtually non existent, our industry's bosses having ignored repeated warnings over the years that the shop window was closing. 

The lack of lead-up races was pretty poor form, I mean, I mean how long did everyone know bout this Race? I would've thought heads would've got together and summit arranged to accommodate those needin a tune-up etc.....guys just read on HRNZ replacement for Spellbound is to be MajesticCruiser 😀 yep he ran em a merry dance on the weekend, yes indeedy.....oh ho it's on guys, can't wait lovin it... 

Cheers Iraklis

2 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Well guys that's all Slots filled 😀 roll on the draw Sat....anyone hear if there could be a couple of lead up races in the pipeline?

Cheers Iraklis

Well I will have to go for the Aussie trained  trifecta then. Stylish Memphis-Majestic Cruiser- Alta Orlando. How good a feature race for a change with a few chances !!!!!

The NZ harness racing has got that short of feature races that 2 stables dominating them. With the Dominion Handicap and Rowe Cup not being handicaps anymore , they are just gifts for Sundees Son year to year , so betting interest gone out the window.

At least some bright spark has come up with this RACE concept and attracted attention within the industry. But sadly a bit too late for out of the industry interest. 

Feature Races are (were) great but now only a handful of chances these days take the gloss away (and usually just Mark like the GN Oaks and GN Derby the other day at short odds)

So THE RACE is a Very Welcome addition. She'll be a cracker !!!!!

Yeh ok Pure 😆 that sounds like fightin talk to me LOL, one small problem for yuh, I reckon we got a few beaudees here that will offer up some stout defence, bring it I say....yuh right though, reckon she'll be a cracker whichever way it goes, roll on the 14th!!! oh gawd, come on Mango, Morry Mac, Mark (the man) Purdon, and all the others 😅 crank those big guns of ours up, tiz battle we face.....

Cheers Iraklis

Ahh, guys just had another thought; what happens (gawd forbid) if there's another issue with one of the final field contenders say next week? 🤔 does that mean the Slots automatically drop to just 9 or would there be dispensation for another selection/replacement? hey, someone had to ask, may as well be me.....

Cheers Iraklis

18 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Check this out guys from the AllStars site, kool photo....what yuh reckon that look is about? Its about 'what! who said I can't win it'.....

image.png.1f01229c1dc3b501855fec1d0eeb55db.png

Cheers Iraklis

Whats the Allstars website Iraklis TIA

4 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Well guys here it is Draw night for The Race 😀 fingers crossed for me local heros....what yuh reckon Pure you gunna be watchin?

Cheers Iraklis

Will be great ! Your mate Spankem would be some sort of training feat. Went along to see him in my neck of the woods in Brisvegas last Winter , but he got tipped out driver at start. !! that was quite sad ......Drivers Not used to stands for pacers around these parts , and it showed. They have a few Trotters standing starts and get them away mostly.

Spankem then won one race and placed behind Superstars COPY THAT and KING OF SWING at his other couple of runs . been off the scene for a while now??

Crazy thing !! was just writing COPY THAT down here in thread, and the galloper named the very same name of 'Copy That ' just won the first at Riccarton at 20-1 !!  what a co-incidence.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, Iraklis said:

Oiy oop guys Ricky May down to drive Mach Dan, wonder who Nat will choose as her charge in the big one 🤔 oh shit that leaves The Iceman (T H) without a drive, or maybe not?

Cheers Iraklis

Tel me you're joking mate??? Ricky May?? NO. NO NO. I was going to back Mach Dan but hot with him aboard. Don't know who to back now... probably just watch now mate.

I'm getting edgy and looking forward to the Race next week....

Sorry Janitor mate, it's Ricky May for Mach Dan 😀 news just in Pembrook Playboy has been withdrawn from The Race following veterinary advice, doesn't surprise me he wasn't lookin right....big buggah! so ah what happens now? do they get to replace him or is field cut to 9? field to be cut to 9, 8 on the front and 1 off the back courtesy MickG.....hey, wonder what Nat's goin to do for a drive? and when do they have to declare drivers?

Cheers Iraklis

39 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

Sorry Janitor mate, it's Ricky May for Mach Dan 😀 news just in Pembrook Playboy has been withdrawn from The Race following veterinary advice, doesn't surprise me he wasn't lookin right....big buggah! so ah what happens now? do they get to replace him or is field cut to 9? field to be cut to 9, 8 on the front and 1 off the back courtesy MickG.....hey, wonder what Nat's goin to do for a drive? and when do they have to declare drivers?

Cheers Iraklis

I'd say Natalie will be on Spankem... they'll just about quinella it... Self Assured & Spankem???

2 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

Tel me you're joking mate??? Ricky May?? NO. NO NO. I was going to back Mach Dan but hot with him aboard. Don't know who to back now... probably just watch now mate.

I thought Mach Dan would be a good place shot too but............

Looks like it could end up with one line in which case Self-Assured is home free regardless of the draw.

Oh boy oh boy have my 2 favs have got their work cutout from out there; glad to see Spankem drawn well.....

1. Stylish memphis

2. Alta Orlando

3. Spankem

4. Krug

5. Mach Dan

6. Hot And Treacherous

7. South Coast Arden

8. Self Assured

9. Majestic Cruiser

Cheers Iraklis

39 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

Oh boy oh boy have my 2 favs have got their work cutout from out there; glad to see Spankem drawn well.....

1. Stylish memphis

2. Alta Orlando

3. Spankem

4. Krug

5. Mach Dan

6. Hot And Treacherous

7. South Coast Arden

8. Self Assured

9. Majestic Cruiser

Cheers Iraklis

Was it always going to be 9 runners this year? Or did we lose one that hasn't been replaced?