RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Iraklis

The Race

Does anyone else see the conflict of interest that the CEO of HRNZ has in being involved in organising a race for $900,000, then having a runner(possibly 2 if Spankem gets in) in it? Good on him but I don’t know what or how it could be achieved, just should have been more of an arms length transaction for perception I feel.

I thought it was organised by CEO Cambridge got this from HRNZ site article 'From The Chair'....

The Northern Autumn festival kicks off with the $900,000 RACE at Cambridge on 14 April, the field is shaping up to be one of quality and has certainly generated good interest on both sides of the Tasman. I acknowledge the commitment of the Cambridge CEO, David Branch, who accepted the challenge with both hands, albeit no money, and went with it. David and his team, with limited lead up time, have worked hard to bring this race to a reality having secured the required funding. 

That said, not sure that it matters to be honest, it's a race and in the end it's all down to luck of the draw, horse fitness, trainer/driver skill in the end 😀

Cheers Irakllis

4 hours ago, Keepingthemhonest said:

Does anyone else see the conflict of interest that the CEO of HRNZ has in being involved in organising a race for $900,000, then having a runner(possibly 2 if Spankem gets in) in it? Good on him but I don’t know what or how it could be achieved, just should have been more of an arms length transaction for perception I feel.

If you follow that logic you would ban administrators from owning horses.  Not sure that would be a good idea.  A lot of unintended consequences could result from going down that road. 

Ahh KeepinThemHonest mate, just to clarify, are you actually sayin you see nothin wrong with a ban on administrators from ownin horses? and who or where do you perceive the 'vested interests' mentioned?

Cheers Iraklis

1 hour ago, Keepingthemhonest said:

True that lamour but I see nothing wrong with that, we could approach Harness Racing with a more business like approach, rather than vested interests. I think that is what is needed, make some hard calls for the greater good.

We need more owners of harness horses - particularly in Auckland and particularly of top class horses, nationwide - not less. Your opinion, whilst maybe having some merit on the surface, would only diminish the sport of harness racing even more. You'd probably find many administrators would not become administrators if they were not allowed to retain any ownerships. With so few real top-line horses at the moment, I can't see anybody getting in the field that is taking the places of another, undeservedly, by hook or by crook. Like so many cult sports, and that's almost what harness racing is these days, there are just not enough good people going around to see your approach being remotely viable. But then you did admit you had NO IDEA how it could work.   

IMO it is fine for administrators to be owners as long as there is transparency. There are big advantages in having people who understand the industry. On the other hand, it is very damaging if people suspect administrators are arranging things to suit their mates. Anything HRNZ and clubs  can do to ensure and demonstrate transparency should be encouraged.

I agree about the transparency. I liken it to the handicapper not being allowed to own, or the starter not being able to start a race if he has a share in one. Administrators not owning horses? Just talking about one here, the CEO who has ultimate influence over the industry. Peter V’landys comes to mind of an excellent example of doing things and standing on a few toes for the greater good, not afraid to have any friends.

KTHonest, CEO of HRNZ contacted CEO of Cambridge Harness regarding The Race, he (Branch) and his crew jumped on it and got it off the ground, Slots have been sold, horses have been chosen (1 confirmation to go) race is set to go ahead on the 14th April. Where exactly is your conflict of interest re administrators? what are you really on about? be more specific, you seem to be alludin to somethin without actually sayin it.....

Cheers Iraklis

You’ve answered your own question Iraklis. The Race was devised by an ‘architectural’ group which the CEO obviously oversees, it didn’t come from the Cambridge Club.

Whether it was Cambridge, Metro or Auckland it was always going to happen. The CEO should of identified that he was going to have a horse or horses eligible for it and should stand down from either the group or ownership.

There have been a few murmurings regarding the open class 5 horse field that was allowed to race a couple of weeks ago, that the CEO has to okay, and that he had a share in one of the horses. Should that have happened? I don’t know but these sort of things need to be transparent and arms length decisions for integrity.

KTHonest, yeh yeh Cambridge just took on the organisin of The Race etc, get that; yeh nah still can't see what yuh problem is, whether he (CEO HRNZ I presume) has a horse eligible for The Race or not, you clearly know who his horse is, what's it's name? it still comes down to if it makes it in, even if it does, there's still the preferential draw, then the race itself which as anyone knows in racin anythin can happen.

So your particular heads up is re administrators etc is about what? some kind of dodgey manipulation of the race so his horse wins it? or that your horse (if you have one eligible) never made it in? why now? dunno where your comin from......

Cheers Iraklis

KTHonest & NedKelly, I take it we're still talkin the HRNZ CEO - Mr Woodham yes? what has that field of 5 horse race got to do with this The Race? and even if he has interests in SouthCoastArden and Spankem, what's that got to do with anything really? Spankem has yet to be confirmed; and there is still a draw to contend with etc etc etc, unless KTHonest is alludin to somethin dodgey re the draws or some sort of collusion in general; either of those 2 horses have still gotta get around 8 others, who I might add are not slouches, includin the mares.....jumpin at shadows comes to mind here, however, if indeed there is in fact a bigger prob, then I suggest start new thread under an appropriate headin, this thread was started about The Race, just sayin....

Cheers Iraklis

A lot of racing folk bemoan the fact when administrators have little or no skin in the game.

Particularly when they own no race horses or are breeders .

So it a bit rich to pick on the fact that one is a minority shareholder in a couple of good ones who race at the level which is fast disappearing , to the detriment of the Industry IMO.

Group races should rarely be canned , while races at the top level with only 5 starters will often attract more betting than the slugs racing plus add interest to quaddies etc ,attracting a good viewing and betting.

Guys, see the aussies are discussin The Race on In The Gig, they soundin pretty positive about it, actually soundin pretty keen about it, can't wait, lovin it 😀 my fav for it is SouthCoastArden (cos he's local, great bettin logic there LOL), Spellbound (gotta throw in a mare, no sexism here, wish we had Kiwi mare in it, so Kiwibred will have to suffice), and Spankem, if the others (Kiwis) can't do it 🤗

Cheers Iraklis

agree Iraklis, all  ,going well for the GRINS Race even crowds allowed now. The TAB is firm on self assured to win it and every other big race this year (except the Dominion lol) it will now get publicity with Waikato rugby connection and lets hope it does not get transferred to Auck/Adding in next 2 years. (as was the case with the Jewels and how did that end up ) As you would put yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeesssss

On another note with the Grins sponsorship I thought brands of alcohol were banned from sponsoring sports events.  Remember when NZ Breweries sponsored the NZ Cup?.   I don’t have a problem with it, I just thought that was the rule.  Not sure if I’m just plain wrong or if it use to be a rule that was rescinded. 

Lamour, bloody good point 🤔 does anyone in here know what the deal is? cos when I saw it I thought hang on, thought we weren't allowin alcohol sponsorships across any sport (I know we had to remove reference to our sponsor off our race car due alcohol ref etc), perhaps things have changed.....

Cheers Iraklis

10 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Guys, see the aussies are discussin The Race on In The Gig, they soundin pretty positive about it, actually soundin pretty keen about it, can't wait, lovin it 😀 my fav for it is SouthCoastArden (cos he's local, great bettin logic there LOL), Spellbound (gotta throw in a mare, no sexism here, wish we had Kiwi mare in it, so Kiwibred will have to suffice), and Spankem, if the others (Kiwis) can't do it 🤗

Cheers Iraklis

Kiwi mare???? Stylish Memphis, Canterbury owned, only transferred to Jack H for her Aussie campaign from Mark Jones stable

9 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

Yeh Kilcoyne, I wasn't sure if she had been sold or not; they were sayin on The Gig 4 aussies in The Race so I assumed she had been sold. So is Mark doin the honours while she's here?

Cheers Iraklis

Owner tells me Jack is coming home to do the honours