RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Anyone looking for a new stallion?

It will be interesting to see what he eventually goes for. You would have to presume he has been offered to studs via brokers etc. before they decided to sell on this auction. 

On his female side he goes tail female back to Easter Bride. She is the basis of the great Pencarrow family --Richebourg , Ethereal, Darci Brahma etc etc.

It is the family that produced Happyanunoit. Other  branches would be found in hundreds of NZ mares, so I hope he ends up in NZ.

I'm not sure but his races indicate he was very tough and did not give in ( if you have not seen it, at the bottom of the blurb on the Inglis sale site there is a promo video with a few of the finishes of his main races). If he passes that on it could good as he seems to be able grind down the opposition, which means they cannot rely on a "short burst" at the end of the race to get an advantage.

The interesting thing for me is he does not look like the traditional staying type --not the really rangey type (but that could be the way the photo is taken).

On the bidding, it started with a $100K bid. Now at $165k so there has been about 4-5 bids.

Shame. It's going to be interesting to see whether the increased stake money and programming of distance racing in Oz is going to reinvigorate the demand for classic and MD stallions.

The AJC Derby, Hitotsu aside, shapes as a fairly average edition this year with Anamoe, Profondo, Mo unga etc. targeting races that are more compatible with their stallion careers. 

Breeder, what do you make of The Chosen One as a stallion prospect? I could see him being a perfect fit for White Robe. He has a good turn of foot for a stayer, he's versatile, tough, and blessed with a great attitude.

I think he would have as good a chance as any. Incredibly well bred. I am a big believer is looking at the dam sire of a stallion as much as the sire line. In this case it is Flying Spur and he has done well as a sire of sires and a broodmare sire, so nothing wrong in that department.

Whether White Robe would take him on, I'm not sure, given they have just started with Ancient Spirit. The Chosen One might be better off up north somewhere. When you look at his wins he seemed to be better at around 2000 meters. He was trained for and raced quite a bit at 3200meters but was he really suited to that? Obviously Murray Baker would know a lot more than me about his abilities.

Yep, and throw in O'Reilly as well. Agree, timing may not be right for WRL.

It's an interesting point. We often pigeon hole horses into distance categories but sometimes they are just the victim of circumstances. John Hislop said of Brigadier Gerard that he'd have won the July Cup if he trained him for it but at the time all the big money prizes in the UK were at 1600m plus. 

4 hours ago, Mill Reef said:

Another game effort today on ground I don't think suited him.

I hope he's given a decent shot at stud. No whispers that I know of. 

Yes and also got involved in a scuffle while trying to push out to make a run just after they turned for home. 

Listening to a podcast with Gary Chittick recently, reminded me of the coup with Centaine.

He may have been just below the best sprinters in Victoria, certainly on performance, and was priced accordingly, but he was a dynamite sire.

Got me thinking about current sprinters with similar profiles and despite times being different, perhaps there's another Centaine lurking out there.

I've always had time for General Beau. Brazen Beau probably helps keep the price down, but he's got a superb maternal family. He went very early, is consistent and showed with his recent third in the William Reid that he's no mug. 

Then again, maybe Waikato have found their next Centaine in Banquo?

Looking back at the 2 big yearling sales this year SYT was not exactly flavour of the month. The buyers of his yearlings will be happy, if they are patient.

Magic Millions

https://catalogue.magicmillions.com.au/sale/22GPR

Inglis Sale

https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2022+Australian+Easter+Yearling+Sale/search?pedigree_search=1&sale_id=30000124&sire[]=So+You+Think+(NZ)&vendor[]=&vendor_images[]=&sex[]=&colour[]=&s_ss_sss_sds[]=&d_dd_ddd[]=&sgs_ss[]=&sgs_ds[]=&s_s[]=&s_ds[]=&ds[]=&dds[]=&ss[]=&sss[]=&brp[dclass][]=&brp[dpclass][]=

But he has some big books in recent year so breeders are obviously keeping a lot of them 

Good topic - announcements shouldn't be far away. Kicking back with Covid I thought I may as well mess around imagining homes for this year's very small crop of available Kiwi stallion prospects and do a bit of stirring:

The Chosen One (Savabeel | Flying Spur | 3x5 Sir Tristram) - we've got to have him don't we? Classic Kiwi lines, mile/mile and a half. So where should he go? Gerry Harvey is due. They haven't added a stallion since Telperion and Tarzino joined five years ago. Westbury Farm have had an envious run of stability with a range of really solid stallions, but he's missing a Sir Tristram thread. Seven stallions is a lot for a stud in NZ but there's no rule against it.

Sword of State (Snitzel | Encosta de Lago | 3x5 Danehill) - already pre-booked for Cambridge Stud. No racing fan wants to see winding top Kiwi racehorses up at 3yrs, but being by Snitzel will he get any better with age? May be best to just get him in the barn.

Mana Nui (No Nay Never | Keeper | 4x5 Mr Prospector) - No Nay Never deserves sons at stud, he's a class stallion. I just can't remember too many winning past 3 or over ground. Better suited to an Australian stud?

Rocket Spade (Fastnet Rock | Fusaichi Pegasus | 3x4 Danzig) - is clearly not enjoying his racing in Hong Kong so we'll have him back thanks. Wonderful bloodlines. Northern Dancer, Mr.Prospector, Sir Tristram, His Majesty, Star Way.. great recipe that can slot in anywhere. I'm of a perspective that NZ thoroughbred breeding can't survive on broodmares alone, and our biggest studs should home a stallion. I'm not privy to what shares studs own in stallions elsewhere but after twenty years since Curraghmore last brought in a new stallion (City on a Hill) they should dust the cobwebs off and take this boy. Plus Gordon Cunningham just bred the most recent Derby winner so having one in the barn would seem fitting.

Harlech (Darci Brahma | Bachelor Duke | 4x4 Sir Tristram) - 2nd in three Group 1s so deserves his shot as if he were a Group 1 winner. Again lovely classic Kiwi bloodlines so could also go anywhere. For another controversial call, I'm going to suggest the Wentwood Grange brothers rethink their no-stallion policy. They've hauled the stud up to new heights, and it's been nearly thirty years since appalling luck saw them lose All Glory (aged 8), Wild Rampage (aged 9) and Mi Preferido (aged 12) in quick succession. All three cruelly turned out very good stallions after they died. Time to dip a toe back in?

Sound (Lando | Exit to Nowhere | 5x5 Birkhan & Klairon) - wow what an intriguing background this German has. We desperately need to pick this guy up somewhere. Vadamos kickstarted something at this year's sales. Sound would bring back in some fantastic outcross blood from the great Klairon. His male tail goes back 200 years in a different direction from all our other stallions, along similar lines to Star Way. So why not Windsor Park for old times sake? On face value Windsor Park had a brutal Karaka this year, and are unlikely to go for another stallion. For a stud so grand slipping from the Top 10 aggregate can't have gone down well, and they suffered horrible timing when their top stallion Turn Me Loose let loose with black type winners everywhere the week after Karaka closed. Looking at their current crop of stallions I wonder if they could do with more outcross blood. Star Way made them great, maybe Sound could tap back into that vein.

Meritable (Snitzel | Encosta de Lago | 3x3 Danehill) - not much to his race career yet, although a creditable second behind Noverre in the 2000 Guineas. Will be interesting to see if Andrew Forsman can get some runs on the board in the coming months. And then there's the controversial closebred pedigree. Not sure if I should be impressed or alerting the authorities. Mum and Dad are cousins? 3x3 stallions come up now and again and can be quite handy (Lord Ballina). But they aren't usually linebred to the same dam at the 3rd line. Kind of makes Meritable a 2.5 x 2.5. All a bit Victorian-era royal family. Still I'm really interested to see how he'd turn out as a stallion. There's probably room for only one Snitzel/Encosta de Lago debutante this year though. He needs another year though to find some nice races.

image.thumb.png.91edd4a9a7dd5770e1d7beaf97271416.png

Great analysis Palatable. There a few studs in the CD that could get back into the stallions. Wellfield after doing well with Alamosa had Vespa for a few seasons but I'm not sure they have a stallion at the moment. Fairdale haven't had one for a while and Goodwood also is in the same camp. To be fair to the latter two the younger Fells have taken on the farms relatively recently so they may not be in the position to open the wallets for stallions, but they would be in the position to stand horses for other people.

Food for thought Palatable.

I can only see TCO and SOS finding commercial homes in NZ. 

Rocket Spade is a lovely type and a damn good horse, his female pedigree just lacks a few top line stallions for mine

I'd hadn't realised Meritable was so closely inbred. Not sure it will put a stallion farm off though.