RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Shoot the presenter

1 hour ago, Berri said:

How bad do they need to be...bad accent, talks for the sake of talking and a grating tone to het voice....the young women that talks out of the side of her mouth currently on Trackside

Mediocrity.....

She is doing her best, I presume some of the alternatives are covid contacts so she probably wasn't expecting to be on.

1 hour ago, Berri said:

How bad do they need to be...bad accent, talks for the sake of talking and a grating tone to het voice....the young women that talks out of the side of her mouth currently on Trackside

Mediocrity.....

Spot on Berri---where do they find these people?? And that is not a criticism of the young lady "per se" but the reception of information via an auditory experience needs to be clear and pleasant, not jarring and irritating!  She is not the only one who fails to deliver. Sweeney's mumbling, fractured delivery of his usual nonsense is painful. "Mute" is my favourite station.

Oh for the informed dulcet tones of a Mary Mountier and early years of Karen Fenton .JMO of course but don't beat yourself up Berri and put it down to having a bad day--it is a REAL problem for audience retention.

If you guys who are criticizing the Trackside presenter and the way she talks, why don't you put your money where your mouth is, and apply for a job there, and see if you can do a better job. If you haven't got anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!!!

16 minutes ago, MissJools said:

If you guys who are criticizing the Trackside presenter and the way she talks, why don't you put your money where your mouth is, and apply for a job there, and see if you can do a better job. If you haven't got anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!!!

You need to get your head in the right bucket. The job of a presenter needs to be a well informed, well presented, well educated person who has been trained to be a media professional. Unfortunately this young lady fails on a number of various standards. I am not a professional presenter so would never consider that I'm good enough although I know some of the content required to educate and entertain the horse industry. 

This says a lot about the management who are responsible to produce a slick, acceptable presentation. That they continue to make our shop front window to be an aggravating, un-educational and un entertaining experience speaks volumes about the inept delivery of a professional display of NZ horse racing. I will criticize because hopefully someone might listen. You certainly don't qualify as anyone who realises the problems associated with this issue.

36 minutes ago, Berri said:

You need to get your head in the right bucket. The job of a presenter needs to be a well informed, well presented, well educated person who has been trained to be a media professional. Unfortunately this young lady fails on a number of various standards. I am not a professional presenter so would never consider that I'm good enough although I know some of the content required to educate and entertain the horse industry. 

This says a lot about the management who are responsible to produce a slick, acceptable presentation. That they continue to make our shop front window to be an aggravating, un-educational and un entertaining experience speaks volumes about the inept delivery of a professional display of NZ horse racing. I will criticize because hopefully someone might listen. You certainly don't qualify as anyone who realises the problems associated with this issue.

OMG you ugly misogynist person  my language could be quite gross and uncouth but I am a well educated and a well informed person,.

Who gave you the right to criticise what training have you had in this industry I know this person and she has a great knowledge of the horse industry. 

As far  as I am concern you certainly dont qualify to ridicule anyone what is your profession I am gobsmacked at this thread 

Hold the line caller 

Berri & Chevy make a fair point….it’s irrelevant what gender the presenter is ( Berri of course had a bob each way anyway )… the presenters job is firstly to provide information and entertainment….which is designed to increase turnover

If they’re not doing those simple tasks they shouldn’t be in the job, because they’re not fit for purpose 

Ask yourself a simple question…..could they be in studio for a rugby game ? as an expert …if the answer is no then that means they’re not suited to rugby, and using the same logic they’re not fit to be hosting the racing game….because they lack the appropriate expertise and / or credibility 

Nothing personal here, just simple performance related facts of life 

Go and put you head in the same bucket. I don't care if you think I'm a misogynist because I don't care for diversion of the real content of this thread. You can swear all you like because your reaction is the crux of why this amasing industry of ours is failing. I don't care for PC rubbish. Just deal with facts.

For years we have watched the degradation of the visual image of New Zealand racing. Your young lady has no talent and very little knowledge of the subject matter. That is a fact. It's not her fault, it's the fault of the idiot that thinks the visual image and sound bite of her media presence is good enough for a professional marketing initiative called racing. This is main stream media and that you don't know or understand that this is a major issue speaks volumes of your inability to identify the fundamental problems that we continuously experience. I don't care for your support if you wish to promote mediocrity. This industry should demand excellence, not some second rate amateurish production.

Who gave me the right to criticise?... it's called the human bill of rights....freedom of speech comes to mind. Add to this that I was one of the original funders of this site for Dave and Ange when it was started and I think I might have the right to be objectionable. Add that to the history that I have in investing in commercial production houses that succeeded, and I think I might qualify from a technical perspective.

In terms of industry knowledge, there are a few who might think I have the industry's health and well being as a priority and if you can't see that your young lady is not the desired image we need to promote, then get out of the kitchen. I make no excuses for my attitudes. 

As for being a misogynist, your assumptions are inaccurate. I enjoy, and promote women. To say that I hate, have contempt for, or am strongly prejudiced against women is absurd and degrading and that you define my post as such indicates a clear psychological impediment in your character. I have for a long time criticised  many members of the Trackside cast and the producers.

You have clearly shown you have misandry tendencies.

Seems the poor old presenter can't please everybod,y, they are all different, but if you watch duke and the curling  at the Olympics there is a women on there that seems to talk like the audience is a bunch of school kids, just my opinion,  but that's just how I see it.

1 hour ago, Berri said:

Go and put you head in the same bucket. I don't care if you think I'm a misogynist because I don't care for diversion of the real content of this thread. You can swear all you like because your reaction is the crux of why this amasing industry of ours is failing. I don't care for PC rubbish. Just deal with facts.

For years we have watched the degradation of the visual image of New Zealand racing. Your young lady has no talent and very little knowledge of the subject matter. That is a fact. It's not her fault, it's the fault of the idiot that thinks the visual image and sound bite of her media presence is good enough for a professional marketing initiative called racing. This is main stream media and that you don't know or understand that this is a major issue speaks volumes of your inability to identify the fundamental problems that we continuously experience. I don't care for your support if you wish to promote mediocrity. This industry should demand excellence, not some second rate amateurish production.

Who gave me the right to criticise?... it's called the human bill of rights....freedom of speech comes to mind. Add to this that I was one of the original funders of this site for Dave and Ange when it was started and I think I might have the right to be objectionable. Add that to the history that I have in investing in commercial production houses that succeeded, and I think I might qualify from a technical perspective.

In terms of industry knowledge, there are a few who might think I have the industry's health and well being as a priority and if you can't see that your young lady is not the desired image we need to promote, then get out of the kitchen. I make no excuses for my attitudes. 

As for being a misogynist, your assumptions are inaccurate. I enjoy, and promote women. To say that I hate, have contempt for, or am strongly prejudiced against women is absurd and degrading and that you define my post as such indicates a clear psychological impediment in your character. I have for a long time criticised  many members of the Trackside cast and the producers.

You have clearly shown you have misandry tendencies.

The sport generally, and the TV coverage, was on a severe decline long before today's presenter appeared. I don't watch very often, but was it her first day? Was she thrown in last minute due to staff isolating due to Covid? I do not know the answer to those questions but have to say, before your thread, I didn't find her spoiling my day at all. Maybe your mood is, as you said in another thread; that you're just in a bitching mood today. Other presenters I have watched, those supposedly with more knowledge of the sport, have been far more bumbling and tedious than this lady was.  

8 hours ago, Berri said:

Mediocrity.....

What time were you talking about here...I watched Trackside from 12.30pm to about 7pm , had 90 mins break, and never saw any young lady[ not once]

Basically saw lead ups into the NZ races ditto the Aussie races , saw them interview a few trainers including big Mike Moroney , and some winning jockeys. Saw Corey Brown who I thought contributed little and the Aussie anchor was speaking over the Aussie stuff with his usual  mundane stuff

Had my book here, my computer handy for a few bets and thought the NZ female voice who was occasionally co-ordinating the switch from race to race was 'normal ' re accent and intros.

I was perfectly content and not looking to 'step on the flowers while pointing out the weeds'.

And the lack of Champagne brands never worries me neither !

Great to see Kiwi horses show up in a sprint and I noted a Tavistock win as well !

1 minute ago, tasman man said:

What time were you talking about here...I watched Trackside from 12.30pm to about 7pm , had 90 mis break, and never saw any young lady[ not once]

Basically saw lead ups into the NZ races ditto the Aussie races , saw them interview a few trainers including big Mike Moroney , and some winning jockeys. Saw Corey Brown who I thought contributed little and the Aussie anchor was speaking over the Aussie stuff with his usual  mundane stuff

Had my book here, my computer handy for a few bets and thought the NZ female voice who was occasionally co-ordinating the switch from race to race was 'normal ' re accent and intros.

I was perfectly content and not looking to 'step on the flowers while pointing out the weeds'.

And the lack of Champagne brands never worries me neither !

Great to see Kiwi horses show up in a sprint and I noted a Tavistock win as well !

Noted Tavistock sired multiple winners today...2 x GR.3's at Flemington 1 x GR.3 Rosehill  1 x Trentham & 1 x Pukekohe even his son Tarzino sired one at Eagle Farm.

A real loss to the (NZ) breeding industry!

You surprise me, Berri.

You are clearly very well-informed on matters equine and yet you watch, what, 7 or so hours of TV coverage (double that, maybe, if you have two channels on) hoping, presumably, for some glint of wisdom from a TAB staffer to help you with your selections.

Me, I turn on the TV as a race is about to run - having already chosen my nag - and couldn't care less what the presenter(s) are on about.

Remember, they're there just to encourage a bet out of folk in pubs, TABs, at home. And the fact that they allow themselves FOUR selections in any one race means that their input is about as useful as Jacinda Ardern is at Prime Ministering.

That said, today I was v. happy to see that Trackside responded to previous criticisms and actually carried lengthy, delightful interviews with the trainer and the jockey who won the Newmarket.

Have you ever watched Rugby on Sky? Now THERE, and just in 90 minute chunks, too -  are commentators you can quibble about. My mates and I have a rolling bet each week as to how far into any given game Justin Marshall goes without an inane 'Absolutely!' and exactly how many words Nesbo can utter before he draws a fullstop and doesn't just put an 'and' between umpteen phrases....

52 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Seems the poor old presenter can't please everybod,y, they are all different, but if you watch duke and the curling  at the Olympics there is a women on there that seems to talk like the audience is a bunch of school kids, just my opinion,  but that's just how I see it.

Indeed, mike.

Each to their own, I say, but I find that folk like David Attenborough and his this-might-be-my-last-ever-breath style of pontificating irritates my nipples to such an extent I don't bother tuning in to his lectures, heh.

(And what really worries me is that he is already on screen seemingly at least once a day on one of the channels I subscribe to. If and when he kicks the bucket you just know that TV will do its usual let's-play-7623465263426-of-his-shows back-to-back in tribute...). 

36 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

You surprise me, Berri.

You are clearly very well-informed on matters equine and yet you watch, what, 7 or so hours of TV coverage (double that, maybe, if you have two channels on) hoping, presumably, for some glint of wisdom from a TAB staffer to help you with your selections.

I don't even consider anything the commentators pick. On days like today I get on with my work and have the box going on in the background in order to tune in on the races that interest me. Don't bet a lot because it's not a smart thing to do if you're after the event. Betting on something influences my focus.

What a loss Tavistock is. Progeny won the NZ Derby and the Railway. Knocking over races in Aussie...such a shame he died. NZ could do with him. Bought a filly by him this year (lot 20) and a much too expensive colt last year but you've got to be in to win. Bermadez might pull a good one off for the lads over the next month or so, but you know the industry, one day at the top of the mountain, in the bunker the next.

Hall I totally agree with you. These personal attacks on Phillipa Morris are in very poor taste. She has a thorough knowledge of racing. Her father Wayne was a professional trainer for a long time. His horse Accountant was actually first past the post in the 1987 Derby but was controversially relegated and Satisfy promoted to first. As I have stated in other threads the real problem with Trackside TV unlike other sports is their reluctance to employ ex or current elite participants as presenters or comments people. Michael Walker was very inciteful in his comments at Flemington yesterday. 

7 hours ago, Berri said:

What a loss Tavistock is. Progeny won the NZ Derby and the Railway. Knocking over races in Aussie...such a shame he died. NZ could do with him. Bought a filly by him this year (lot 20) and a much too expensive colt last year but you've got to be in to win. Bermadez might pull a good one off for the lads over the next month or so, but you know the industry, one day at the top of the mountain, in the bunker the next.

I was in the Uk when this family was flying, all the Abdulla colours. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, gubellini said:

Hall I totally agree with you. These personal attacks on Phillipa Morris are in very poor taste. She has a thorough knowledge of racing. Her father Wayne was a professional trainer for a long time. His horse Accountant was actually first past the post in the 1987 Derby but was controversially relegated and Satisfy promoted to first. As I have stated in other threads the real problem with Trackside TV unlike other sports is their reluctance to employ ex or current elite participants as presenters or comments people. Michael Walker was very inciteful in his comments at Flemington yesterday. 

This was not actually a personal attack on an individual. It became that because people chose to interpret it that way because that is the PC way many are now wired. This was an attack on the management of Trackside and the mediocre management of the presentation of racing. If the young lady had an understanding of racing, it didn't come through, but that wasn't the main problem. Diction, accent and delivery is part of the process of reporting and this is where I made most of my referencing to. It wasn't up to the standard of a professional sports production.

That you can instantly refer to Michael Walker's presentation speaks volumes of what we are missing and where Trackside's management is falling to one side.

21 minutes ago, Berri said:

This was not actually a personal attack on an individual. It became that because people chose to interpret it that way because that is the PC way many are now wired. This was an attack on the management of Trackside and the mediocre management of the presentation of racing. If the young lady had an understanding of racing, it didn't come through, but that wasn't the main problem. Diction, accent and delivery is part of the process of reporting and this is where I made most of my referencing to. It wasn't up to the standard of a professional sports production.

That you can instantly refer to Michael Walker's presentation speaks volumes of what we are missing and where Trackside's management is falling to one side.

Yeah right ...not a personal attack ???

Shoot the presenter !!

Then an attack on her voice , accent etc etc.....totally unreasonable .

Just apologise and move on old son , you were having a bad day !

As for MWalker , I never noticed him so his inciteful comments lost on me . What does he know about the Invercargill trots ?

Sits around ,employed for 6 hours to think about and make a total of 8 inciteful comments .

Meanwhile the Trackside presenters are performing the the crucial job of co-ordinating back to back racing from several countries so the watching audience can bet on the races and help keep the Industry afloat. The coverage is for betting , warm fuzzies can help but the next race is the most pressing !

On top of the comment re the tarmac at Pukekohe , I wondered Berri.....even the greats make mistakes !

Admit it and move on !

15 hours ago, MissJools said:

Well said , give the presenters a fair go

19 hours ago, Berri said:

Mediocrity.....

Berri you did criticise her so you should own it apologise and move on...I also tend to think most presenters on Trackside are annoying some much worse than what you perceive of her but thats what we have got at least the coverage yesterday of the big races seemed better so as long as things keep improving then we will be alright...but I for one cant see that the people who run the TAB or the people who run the industry really give a flying.... about what sort of dire straits we are in...just saying.

Michael Walker is only a comments man not a presenter. Huge difference. At least this girl can talk continuously not like our big three who grunt and groan there way through an afternoon. Some of it nearly impossinle  to listen to. . Their knowledge seems ok just delivery. Emily is head and shoulders above everyone else. Sat arvo is usually her gig. 

Luke Radich should be use more often 

While I don't watch a lot of trackside, I think the coverage of racing from NZ is  not too bad at all, usually some lead up then a bit of a review, what more can you do?  It's when everything gets congested that probably gets up some people's back, switching from a big race straight after the finish to a 5 dog dog race somewhere which may have nothing to do with the local crew anyway.

It does help when they have someone on course doing a interview or two, but that all cost and so many things today can be done remotely now.

The people in charge of audio, (radio) could do with a good kick up the arse though, it's not really senz who are the problem, the TAB should be sesking a better coverage, if only on Saturdays and major public holidays, that's another matter altogether.

As for Phillipa Morris, and the other girl who's name has escaped me for now, they seem ok,just doing a job.

3 minutes ago, Memphis3 said:

Michael Walker is only a comments man not a presenter. Huge difference. At least this girl can talk continuously not like our big three who grunt and groan there way through an afternoon. Some of it nearly impossinle  to listen to. . Their knowledge seems ok just delivery. Emily is head and shoulders above everyone else. Sat arvo is usually her gig. 

Luke Radich should be use more often 

Exactly one of them cant help but stop halfway through a sentence or a word drives me nuts!!!Anyway we have to accept what we have as we have no others yes Emily is a class act.Steve Davis at least used to try to make it a bit interesting..but he got the heave ho too.