RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Karaka Book 2.

The end of Day #1, Book 2.

Another 300 yearlings to go, less withdrawals, but looking like a bloody long, tedious two days. Trying to do the right thing by Covid but I would be inclined to open the gates of Karaka to allcomers. Certainly not the same atmosphere with no public there. Furthermore, if these are rated to be second cut horses I would think it might be better to run book two as a one-day sale and give the others to Gavelhouse – a saving in time and expense to vendors given the first day passings.

Of course as I have said before “show me an owner and I’ll show you an optimist” plus being an auction one must always hope for the best and who is to say a $20K buy won’t prove as good or better than a $200K buy. What do breeding pundits think and how do they see the next two days.

Stats dont lie...

2022 BOOK 2, DAY ONE 2021 BOOK 2, DAY ONE
AGGREGATE $2,919,000 $4,151,000
AVERAGE $36,037 $43,240
MEDIAN $30,000 $30,000
CLEARANCE 58% 68%
CATALOGUED 164 170
SOLD 81 96
TOP LOT Lot 756 Vadamos - Call Me Blondie (Br.C) $180,000 Lot 725 Churchill - Astrid (Ch.F) $200,000

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Another 300 yearlings to go, less withdrawals, but looking like a bloody long, tedious two days. Trying to do the right thing by Covid but I would be inclined to open the gates of Karaka to allcomers. Certainly not the same atmosphere with no public there. Furthermore, if these are rated to be second cut horses I would think it might be better to run book two as a one-day sale and give the others to Gavelhouse – a saving in time and expense to vendors given the first day passings.

Of course as I have said before “show me an owner and I’ll show you an optimist” plus being an auction one must always hope for the best and who is to say a $20K buy won’t prove as good or better than a $200K buy. What do breeding pundits think and how do they see the next two days.

Pay your money and take your chances, some very good performers have been bargin buys

I just had a look at all the results so far. Certainly some big prices for horses to race in NZ. Go Racing paid some decent prices. Dave Ellis paid big money, he will never get all that back in NZ. Some South Islanders paid a bit for horses that will struggle to recoup it down South.

It is all a bit sad really. If only there was a proper structure of racing in NZ and down South, and even slightly better stakes, a lot of people I'm sure would be prepared to pay a reasonable amount to race horses here. I know myself I would be happy to race a horse down South, but how can you justify it when there is virtually no 2yo racing and the 3yo season has already finished for the males. And most of the tracks I would be happy to take a horse to for old times sake have either been closed down or are in the process of being downsized.

It would be fascinating to know how many Canterbury owners and trainers were at the sales with full wallets because they just can't wait to have something to race on the AWT.

11 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Yep, the horse doesn't know how much people have spent on them so never know where the next champion can come from. 

Did hear a story on the good aussie horse efficient, that he was up for sale early on, and subsequently failed a vet check and was kept by breeders to race him, not sure how true this is, someone will know.

3 minutes ago, Shad said:

Did hear a story on the good aussie horse efficient, that he was up for sale early on, and subsequently failed a vet check and was kept by breeders to race him, not sure how true this is, someone will know.

He wasn't an "Aussie" horse.  A NZ horse bred by Graham Hunt and Mike Sellars from Wellington.  Mike bought the mare Refused to Dance because he had a horse out of Florida Jig (Efficient's Grand-dam) called The Shiner.  The Shiner in Mike's words essentially died twice through ill health and misadventure but won 6 races in succession.  It was this toughness that Mike liked.

Lloyd Williams bought Efficient off Hunt and Sellars but part of the agreement was that they could retain an ownership share.  

7 hours ago, Chitty Chitty Bang said:

He wasn't an "Aussie" horse.  A NZ horse bred by Graham Hunt and Mike Sellars from Wellington.  Mike bought the mare Refused to Dance because he had a horse out of Florida Jig (Efficient's Grand-dam) called The Shiner.  The Shiner in Mike's words essentially died twice through ill health and misadventure but won 6 races in succession.  It was this toughness that Mike liked.

Lloyd Williams bought Efficient off Hunt and Sellars but part of the agreement was that they could retain an ownership share.  

Mike Sellar's brother, Tony also had a share and there was one other owner (a hard doer)  from the Waikato. Rogie bought the horse at the sales on behalf of Lloyd Williams and when Rogie phoned Lloyd and told him Lloyd as not too pleased because the horse was grey. Quick thinking Rogie than offered the vendors a 25% share to smooth things over with Lloyd. 

I seem to recall that the mare was gifted to Mike  because of the good work he did  (Mike was a property valuer) for the original owner (also named Williams) who built The Williams Car park Building in Wellington.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:44 PM, Blue said:

Cubes once dated an optometrist but am not sure that is relevant to this thread

1 minute ago, RacingJimmy said:

Less horses sold, the more there will be hopefully trialling and running here in NZ. The ready to run sale will be interesting too as guess plenty of those not sold will head to this market.

Again for another blood bath...but all good for NZB...money money money no matter what the result.