RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ADM

Minister of Racing

I note that there was a total absence of government representation at the start of the sales, the minister could have done a Zoom link or something to show some form of interest. Interested in the money they get from us but no actual interest in the product

I think as we are now 4th or 5th cab off the ranks in terms of sales it will be hard especially as the Aussies have another sale straight off the back of this one

1 hour ago, ADM said:

I note that there was a total absence of government representation at the start of the sales, the minister could have done a Zoom link or something to show some form of interest. Interested in the money they get from us but no actual interest in the product

The role is the Minister for Racing. Not, the Minister for thoroughbred breeding and sales though.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:23 PM, Leggy said:

The role is the Minister for Racing. Not, the Minister for thoroughbred breeding and sales though.

Maybe he is not the Minister of sales or thoroughbred racing but, his responsibility as Racing minister starts with the horses being bred, sold and finally raced. If the sales can not achieve an adequate return for the breeders then few horses would be bred therefore fairly quickly ending in the demise of thoroughbred racing in NZ.  

43 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Geez the sales are tough going today...must be 50% passed in by the looks of the results.And still two more days to go.

Not looking good Scoobs I feel for the breeders.Hobby trainers should be having a field day and hopefully keep racing alive in NZ.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:38 AM, ADM said:

How many hours has the Minister of Racing actually done anything to do with Racing?

How many hours has he been paid for this at our expense?

Perhaps he needs to be held to account in Courts of Laws for failing to fulfill his paid for role with the Racing Industry.

It's far too easy for them to rubber stamps Ministry of Health matters which is not his only roll.

3 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Umm....I thought 'hobby trainers '  weren't wanted...or did I get that wrong. 

Correct "high performance trainers should will not have to compete against those with low cost operating models".  Breaks my heart the arrogance of that statement.

9 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Correct "high performance trainers should will not have to compete against those with low cost operating models".  Breaks my heart the arrogance of that statement.

They the low cost operating models have kept this game alive for the last few decades...to treat them as nobody just shows how out of touch the so called geniuses in Petone are.They simply dont have any ....... idea...JMO.

Lower cost trainer operating models should be a goal to attract and retain owners? It seems  it would be in most other businesses. If your operating costs are too high and therefore pricing not competitive that would mean that you can't attract customers and the business would fall by the wayside.

I do note however that the high level of passings at Karaka doesn't really help hobby trainers. It's not much use to them if vendors won't sell at what trainers consider fair market value.

There is fair market value and then there is just give them away...they seem to be not going below 5K as a start price so maybe that is part of the reason too...but its a sad day for vendors today except for the few who were lucky enough to have a horse people liked...just no competition on the middle market horses and seems to be very very few NZ trainers there at all.

Hobby breeders (such as ourselves) enjoy breeding and holding onto the dream, but ultimately we need to get a return. We don't expect to make a huge return but it would be nice to break even, we passed ours in at $25k, that doesn't cover the service fee, or sales prep let alone costs on the way. The mare has had 6 foals 4 to the races for 2 multiple winners ( 1 won 6 and the other won 5) so not a champion but produces nice types

The filly is a nice mover and on type is probably the best the mare has produced and is ahead of were the others in the family were at the same stage. It is a family that takes time, shouldn't be raced before autumn of there 3 yr old season 😊