RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Jason Teaz

I was told he was saying elsewhere that he may never call another race in NZ...this is very sad if this is the case...he is a bloody good caller and if not a race caller why could he not be part of the trackside team...surely people with a passion for the industry like he does...(I believe he used tp pay his own petrol to drive all over to call the races)....surely we should be trying to keep these people involved not telling them they are not wanted...does anyone know if this is true...he would be a asset to the industry I would of thought.

2 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I was told he was saying elsewhere that he may never call another race in NZ...this is very sad if this is the case...he is a bloody good caller and if not a race caller why could he not be part of the trackside team...surely people with a passion for the industry like he does...(I believe he used tp pay his own petrol to drive all over to call the races)....surely we should be trying to keep these people involved not telling them they are not wanted...does anyone know if this is true...he would be a asset to the industry I would of thought.

Hard to believe an employee/contractor would be required to drive all over to work without compensation.

Employment disputes usually have two sides to every story....I know nothing about grievances among commentators other than many on here have their favourites while others get upset with others.

Personality clashes often cause discomfort in many industries....these often sort themselves out .

I remember the popular Tony Lee was subject to some controversy a few years back ........his loss to the Industry was horrific...we were told on here ...and he would never be back ...we were told on here ....well he's back !

NZ has 'imported' several Aussies over the years , I never agreed with that  but they turned out fine and the odd one much loved.......some others have started here ,then moved to greener , some much greener, pastures overseas .......gotten fantastic experiences and lifestyle ! Some come back !

My favourite was always Peter Kelly ,I thought Allan Bright was a good tipster and Jack from the Coast under utilized. I like Aaron White and the Northern fill -in.

And Bill Cherry ......always memorable ...something else !

36 minutes ago, Memphis3 said:

What about old mate Clarkson Gary. Sounded like he had a mouthful of peanuts aNd he never took a breath. But I liked him. Made it exciting. Great to watch some of those old races on YouTube. 

My fav was Peter Kelly too 

Haha  Memphis...not many on here can remember Dave Clarkson. Yes , a great in that era but maybe he was often off the finish line but rarely called a neck or less finish.

He exclaimed......its a PHOTO ,the letter P goes into the  semaphor board.

Maybe he used to a previous era , before the photo / camera ,when the result didn't always reflect the order of finishing !!

A lot of the earlier callers whilst sounding good were in many cases very inaccurate. Only when TV broadcasts began did the cream rise to the top. Peter Kelly and Syd Tonks were very good IMO, at the opposite end of the spectrum Reon was often incorrect in many of his Riccarton calls

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

A lot of the earlier callers whilst sounding good were in many cases very inaccurate. Only when TV broadcasts began did the cream rise to the top. Peter Kelly and Syd Tonks were very good IMO, at the opposite end of the spectrum Reon was often incorrect in many of his Riccarton calls

Reon was the best of the lot. Voice and delivery - outstanding.

And to balance your comment re finishes - did you ever get to the old box at Addington and see where he called from ? The man was a genius.

17 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Reon was the best of the lot. Voice and delivery - outstanding.

And to balance your comment re finishes - did you ever get to the old box at Addington and see where he called from ? The man was a genius.

I did say Riccarton, he was woeful at times especially in later years. 

5 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I did say Riccarton, he was woeful at times especially in later years. 

Each to their own - Reon put a lot into the industry and was by my reckoning one of the greats to listen to.

As I've matured I  prefer not to put the boot in unless someone is a criminal or dickhead - but maybe that's just me

On 2/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, tasman man said:

My favourite was always Peter Kelly

Ditto, TM...

I always remember Peter's call on the Wellington Cup that Il Tempo won:

'And here's Il Tempo bursting through the middle ... Il Tempo goes up on the inside of Highland Rebel, goes to the lead ... Il Tempo, oh what a terrific horse this is ... Il Tempo's won the money...'

3 hours ago, Disillusioned said:

Ditto, TM...

I always remember Peter's call on the Wellington Cup that Il Tempo won:

'And here's Il Tempo bursting through the middle ... Il Tempo goes up on the inside of Highland Rebel, goes to the lead ... Il Tempo, oh what a terrific horse this is ... Il Tempo's won the money...'

Noel Riordan for Bruce Priscott