RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Iraklis

Sales

By comparison a Laz filly , lot 2, barely attracted a bid. Nice pedigree as well. Finally sold for $20K. What interests me Iraklis, is that the millions last night saw only 8 pacing fillies and 3 male trotters line up out of hundreds of yearlings sold. Perhaps the big number buyers don't neccessarily have the best judgement. One would expect they'd all have an eye on the big early money.

Just an observation.

Yeh I saw that Blue, was just impressed that the colt fetched that much and who purchased him, guys doubt they'd be payin that much if he wasn't expected to race, I hope to be seein him anyway.....will be glued to TV for ChCh sales be interestin to see how Lazzes babies sell down there 😀

Cheers Iraklis

Well, for all the talk about the promotion and interest in squaregaiters I thought Christchurch today was abysmal. Poor setup, horses didn't want to enter the ring in lots of cases and the whole thing went in fits and starts apart from lack of interest. Not sure where the big buyers were.

Watched the after sale interview by Mark with the guy from the sales, even he said it was a 'sticky start to the sales' presumably tomorrow will be a 'bettor' affair 😀 but TonyH and BarryP were active there.....

Cheers Iraklis

Top price lot to Barry, Tony bought two for $18K and $35K but I'd hardly call that active. Maybe it's to do with the empty pavilion. The momentum never seems to move to any great heights. When everything is started at $5K by the auctioneer it's a fair indication of the interest.

I feel for trotting vendors, having been there myself. Based on returns for last 5 years, 26% of NZ standardbred foals are trotters and it costs much the same to breed and get a trotting or pacing yearling to the sales.  But for a number of reasons the chances of making a quick return on a sales purchase are currently heavily weighted towards the pacers. For example in the long 2021 season, only 3 trotting 2yos earned more than $40k (cf 20 pacers). While the odds improve a bit as 3yos and 4yos, this lack of early earning power inevitably influences buyers. But the good news for the fans of trotters is that if you hang in there till your horse is at least a 5yo the odds change in your favour: in the 2021 5yo+ cohort, 48 trotters earned over $40k compared to just 31 pacers.  While it is good to have new funding for young trotters, IMO the addition of the $100k 2yo fillies Jewels race won't help, especially as at this age, sex makes little difference in capability as records show. I suggest splitting that funding over 5 $20k "Jewels prelude" races (including a couple up North). Having 5 garanteed good money races around the country would provide incentive to have young trotters in work, gaining race experience and of course, earning money.

1 hour ago, eljay said:

I meant a Lazarus

There were only a big handful by Lazarus at the Sale....10 or less.

Plus Trev obviously breeds a lot of horses himself.........he seems to have a lot of very good trotting mares and also working hard to give the Sky Majors a chance as pacers.

Stonewall were obviously the big contributors to buying bench,and should be big players in upcoming years.

They certainly putting in ,so all the best to them.

2 hours ago, tasman man said:

There were only a big handful by Lazarus at the Sale....10 or less.

Plus Trev obviously breeds a lot of horses himself.........he seems to have a lot of very good trotting mares and also working hard to give the Sky Majors a chance as pacers.

Stonewall were obviously the big contributors to buying bench,and should be big players in upcoming years.

They certainly putting in ,so all the best to them.

Probably got more than a few that would have ended up at Allstars otherwise.