RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

David Jewell

Administrator Appointed For Hawkesbury Race Club

Experienced racing executive David Jewell has been appointed administrator of Hawkesbury Race Club.

Jewell’s appointment by the industry’s governing body Racing NSW took effect from Thursday, December 23 after the Hawkesbury Board resigned their positions at the end of last year.

“We had a Members’ Raceday here on Tuesday, and I addressed those present to update them on developments,” Jewell said today.

“My role is to ensure things keep running smoothly by supporting management and making decisions in the club’s best interests. As administrator, I effectively have the same power and responsibilities of the Board.

“I will be in charge until such time as a new Board is in place. Racing NSW has indicated that at this stage this is unlikely to occur until later in the year.”

Australian-born Jewell has a wealth of experience in the industry, having filled many roles, including General Manager Racing and Operations of NZ Thoroughbred Racing, during a 34-year stint in New Zealand.

He took up a new role as CEO of Wyong Race Club in 2014 at a time when the Board had been dismissed by Racing NSW.

He worked initially with Wyong’s then administrator, former Australian Jockey Club boss John Rouse, and accepted the offer to take up the CEO role, viewing it as a challenge along with an opportunity to return to Australia, having family in Sydney.

More recently following his “retirement”, Jewell was asked by RacingNSW to step in as administrator at Tamworth Jockey Club to sort out problems that had arisen there.

“I worked there for nine months, through to appointing a new CEO and track manager, getting a new Board up and running, including the appointment of independent directors, and running the club’s annual general meeting.

“Pleasingly, Tamworth is now going ahead in leaps and bounds and it’s my goal to ensure a similar result at Hawkesbury, and I’m confident that will occur.”

Seems to be a busy man fixing Ozzie Racing Clubs

14 minutes ago, Midget said:

Is that the club Ken Rutherford was in charge of??

Correct . Started as CEO in Feb 2020 and his departure  was announced October 2021. Chair said he was returning to NZ for family reasons. 

Make of that what you will.