RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Crow

CWJ 2500 club

29 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I see it now. Forgot all about Southland being on today, not used to two midweek NZ meetings on same day.

A great achievement. Such an unheralded talent. I have seen some great CWJ rides over the years. My favourite, for some reason, has always been his Oaks win on Domino.

Yep and with  eyebrows missing  too LOL....we had some fun together as apprentices...🤣

Two wins for mine……Loader in the Telegraph 1996 (pocket talking.)

And a retired jockeys race ( non tote race for  ex-jockeys) held by the CJC in about 2003.

Morty rode in it and was very puffed afterwards! ( too many years as a publican) CWJ won the race on a donkey and that was a key moment that said, get back into it son! He did.

My brother was an apprentice with CWJ in Canterbury. I have long thought of Chris Johnson as the Lester Piggott of NZ racing - such great balance on a horse. I was sitting in the jockeys' room with him at Trentham one day and asked him what he thought his best ride of the day was and he said: "Yes Prime Minister". I wasn't Prime Minister at the time so I had a search through the race book and found it and it started at 15-to-one. No one else could have got it home. It looked beaten at the top of the straight after leading and got headed by a couple out wider but Chris just kept on nursing it hands and heels while everyone else was thrashing the shit out of their mounts. Yes Prime Minister responded and came back along the inside rail to win in a blanket finish. One of the best rides I've ever seen from 60 years of watching them. No wonder they call him "Magic". The thing I really like about Chris is that he is kind to horses. He never knocks them about once he knows they've given of their best. Congrats on your milestone 2500 Chris. Well-deserved.

1 hour ago, High Sparrow said:

My brother was an apprentice with CWJ in Canterbury. I have long thought of Chris Johnson as the Lester Piggott of NZ racing - such great balance on a horse. I was sitting in the jockeys' room with him at Trentham one day and asked him what he thought his best ride of the day was and he said: "Yes Prime Minister". I wasn't Prime Minister at the time so I had a search through the race book and found it and it started at 15-to-one. No one else could have got it home. It looked beaten at the top of the straight after leading and got headed by a couple out wider but Chris just kept on nursing it hands and heels while everyone else was thrashing the shit out of their mounts. Yes Prime Minister responded and came back along the inside rail to win in a blanket finish. One of the best rides I've ever seen from 60 years of watching them. No wonder they call him "Magic". The thing I really like about Chris is that he is kind to horses. He never knocks them about once he knows they've given of their best. Congrats on your milestone 2500 Chris. Well-deserved.

Horse never won another race in 38 starts either.