RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Waitangi Day

I'm not racist. I've got hold of a first edition of a book called Brett's Historical Series - Early New Zealand. This was first published in 1890 and is an in depth analysis of New Zealand from 1840 to 1845. It is fully referenced and the credentials of the accounts are impressive and certified. The book starts at who discovered New Zealand. It even references a note which conflicts with the discovery of Tasman in 1642, as the Portuguese knew about the eastern coast in/ on about 1550. William Bleau (born 1571 died 1638) published an atlas in 14 volumes folio.  Against Cook Straight are placed the words "Gulf of Portuguese 1550".

The reason I searched for this book as I did not want to read any publication that could be "re-written" as I really wanted to understand why there are two stories about the Treaty. I don't know who to believe any more.

But in this book, I am now getting an understanding of what actually happened. I have decided to share something with you that amazed me. These are no bullshit stories as their account has been correlated with other accounts. This excerpt does not attempt to make any persuasion. It is simply an account of something I knew very little about. I am simply sharing it with you.

Cannabalism.docx

On 2/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, Berri said:

I'm not racist. I've got hold of a first edition of a book called Brett's Historical Series - Early New Zealand. This was first published in 1890 and is an in depth analysis of New Zealand from 1840 to 1845. It is fully referenced and the credentials of the accounts are impressive and certified. The book starts at who discovered New Zealand. It even references a note which conflicts with the discovery of Tasman in 1642, as the Portuguese knew about the eastern coast in/ on about 1550. William Bleau (born 1571 died 1638) published an atlas in 14 volumes folio.  Against Cook Straight are placed the words "Gulf of Portuguese 1550".

The reason I searched for this book as I did not want to read any publication that could be "re-written" as I really wanted to understand why there are two stories about the Treaty. I don't know who to believe any more.

But in this book, I am now getting an understanding of what actually happened. I have decided to share something with you that amazed me. These are no bullshit stories as their account has been correlated with other accounts. This excerpt does not attempt to make any persuasion. It is simply an account of something I knew very little about. I am simply sharing it with you.

Cannabalism.docx 4.99 MB · 20 downloads

Cook Strait was previously named Zeehan's Bight, but why did it change?

There's lots of great old maps with place names on that raise questions to some of the claims bandied about.

Sailing vessel records, those who were on them and the journals and letters written in earlier eras provide interesting insights and often reveal a few more facts.

We spent time reading up on "Littlewood" and his role in the Treaty of Waitangi, both here in Papers Past and in UK Newspaper archives where there's quite a bit on early Nieuw Zealand.

The Littlewood Treaty document was handed on through the generations for safekeeping from 1840's in Wairau massacre.

It resurfaced some years ago when old Mrs Needham in Pukekohe passed away and caused a controversy.

Fact of the matter is, it's a genuine document.

Read up on Kinzett and Plant and Needham families who were in the thick of it all.

Maritime Explorers of Australia Trade Seeking opportunities is worth a read

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AHCOG19250429.2.41

Nelson and it's story

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DOM19120224.2.105

Tasman and Cook by Kotare - this is great about Place names and gets one thinking about who named what where and when.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19330401.2.176.5

We have lost many of our recognized place names that are important to the European people.

Why?

Who or what is/are Maori?

8 February 2022

There is a lot of talk going on about "Maori" in the media.

We have stories like this one in which the Greens are demanding that government use the Public Works Act to seize privately held land and return it to Maori.

Today's column isn't an attempt to discuss the rights or wrongs of returning land to Maori, nor is it about whether such claims should be involved in a seemingly endless cycle of compensation and relitigation for more compensation.

I doubt we'll ever see the parties involved ever reach total agreement over such matters.

No, today I have a much more important question: just who are "Maori" in the context of these negotiations and claims?

It's pretty easy to identify "a Maori" but that's not what I'm talking about.

Most of these claims want to either recover Maori land that is in non-Maori ownership or receive fair compensation for that land.

The premise is that the land or money will then be given (back) to Maori.

Sounds great and wonderful... but who decides which Maori get the land or the money?

How is it fairly distributed amongst the many in New Zealand who identify as being of Maori origin?

Well from what I can see, it hasn't been fairly distributed in the past and it's unlikely to be fairly distributed in future.

There seems to be a thriving industry for the prosecution of claims and the handling of the compensation or hand-backs arising from successful ones but I don't see that providing much (if any) benefit for those Maori who are very much in need of assistance.

Given that around $2.2 billion has already been paid out in successful claims, why are so many of Maori still living on or below the poverty line? Where has all this money gone?

Why are their so many very well-to-do Maori making a fortune out of the "treaty industry" whilst so many of their fellow Maori barely have enough money to feed themselves and their kids?

One can't help but get the impression that, on more than a few occasions, far too much of the compensation has been consumed by the industry and that the compensations are simply not reaching those who have every bit as much right to those benefits as the well groomed lawyers in their Armani suits and silk boxers.

Given that the government has recently embarked on reviewes of the electricity and transport fuel sectors, maybe it's time that The Treaty Industry faced a bit of scrutiny. Of course I'd expect the same outcome: "The situation is bad but we are not going to do anything about it".

You can bet that if there was an actual investigation into The Treaty Industry that certain well-connected parties would scream that it was racially motivated and yet another case of "brown bashing". Meanwhile, the least privileged Maori in our society will continue to be disadvantaged by racists on all sides.

I call on The Treaty Industry to focus more on the plight of all Maori, not just those with the right connections and friends.

Or maybe I've got this entirely wrong and there are no Maori families living in garages or cars. Perhaps a number of Maori prefer to go hungry and cold out of choice.

What do readers think? Should Maori be doing a better job looking after other Maori or are some of them too busy picking their next Armani suit and new car from their substantial salaries and other treaty-related earnings?

🤔

… There is no doubt that many Pākehā will find this challenging: their obsession with control over the Māori-Pākehā relationship to date could almost be categorised as a form of compulsive disorder. Giving up such control requires a leap of faith on the part of Pākehā. … Nothing less will suffice if they truly want to gain the sense of belonging they so crave, the sense of identity that until now has proven so elusive.

Cannabalism.docx 4.99 MB · 22 downloads

Interesting accounts of the times past concerning specific tribes and the culture and practices of the time...

which makes one wonder, what was the Major-catalyst that changed the culture into what we have today!!

i have my own theories which i consider to be biblically based, and seen to be at work throughout our nations history... even today in our current events!!

6 hours ago, jack said:

… There is no doubt that many Pākehā will find this challenging: their obsession with control over the Māori-Pākehā relationship to date could almost be categorised as a form of compulsive disorder. Giving up such control requires a leap of faith on the part of Pākehā. … Nothing less will suffice if they truly want to gain the sense of belonging they so crave, the sense of identity that until now has proven so elusive.

What drivel. We have an identity…we are NEW ZEALANDERS.

You are in the minority…17% of the population at last count, and despite being handed over $2b by successive governments, Maori still cannot look after its own, a select few do very nicely, there is no trickle down to those that need it most…..and you want to run the country…..???!🙈

Oliver Twist had nothing on you lot…..” Can I have some more..” wore thin a long time ago.

Cannabalism.docx 4.99 MB · 23 downloads