RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

Hawera alive and well

Its not Easter (sad:rcf-sad-10:) but great recovery with large fields this friday and sunday.Congratulations to Brendan Towers and Carey Hobbs and the team for not giving up on the dream of grass track racing in Taranaki.With covid restrictions obviously the club would appreciate good turnover.The miserable amongst us that considered CD racing was a distant memory hide your heads in shame. The rest of us lets support the club by all having a few $20 bets on friday.   to help.' john the punters pal' provides the winners below !!!              R2... I Wont Back down                                                                                                                          R4....Caulfield                                                                                                                                         R6.....Smokinhotcheddar                                                                                                                                                     R7.....Mr Incredible                                                                                                                                 R9.....Watch and learn                                                                                                                              R10..Clymenus

Good Luck for a great day for owners/trainers/drivers/ punters and the little Club that refused to accept defeat !!!                                                                                                        

3 hours ago, Nelli said:

Good fields/noms relative to northern NI too.

And with a Friday and Sunday meeting , horses from North and South , turnover should be OK too.

The grass track meeting is mainly catering for slow horses , and there are enough of them to get good size field.

Plus they have the Country Cup ,a better stake there plus the chance to race for a good size stake in Final.

This takes some of the Intermediate horses away from the North ,as well as attracts some of the bigger stables there as well...further weakening the North.

Plus the 'masterplan' to herd all the best horses into one area isn't likely to work ,even if by some miracle more foals were born in upcoming seasons.

There will still be too many slow horses...yes they attract good betting in summer at picnic meetings .

One telling example is the main trot at Auckland this week......the race got 4 x noms so not being run.

No one wants to be fodder for Sundees Sun and Bolt For Brilliance.......travel your horse to Auckland and run out of skin for 5th or 6th.

Temporale is trying Australia as is Majestic Man etc 

In the Pacers the main race this week is saved by the fact the top two three year olds are racing the few Cup horses !

The strategy of herding the best ,wont work when there are one or two standouts.

it will just speed up the export and sale to Australia , where all states run high stake races and they have the betting volume to support it !

Young horses , ie 2 & 3 year olds are having racing canned  in North too......folk are reluctant to race these young horses too early and expose the fact they may not be competitive. The young girls have to race the boys etc  . Many just trial regularly , pick a race they can run well in and then the offers come almost immediately. Then owners are faced with racing a battler for low stakes/ little chance or taking some money and cutting losses.

No surprise that some bigger NZ buyers intend pulling back at Sales.

Auckland has lost meetings ,and if less races held than in recent  years thats less stakes for owners,less drives.

The Junior drivers race this week got 4 x noms.....they not encouraged in North at all. Why couldnt have some of the slow horses going to Hawera filled a field.

How about a 2x division race for the Juniors ,give them 2 x drives to cling some hope too.

T Man fail to pick up your thread... the condescending nature of your oft repeated ""slow horses" fails to impress . You could get answers from trainers to your  "why" Ak Trotting should have figured out the answers by now and destroying racing except for Alexandra Park in the North Island is def not one of them.    GO HAWERA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rcf-happy-7:

Auckland racing is 95% stuffed, and it's not Hawera's fault. Unless they can at least double the size of their average field, it's not even worth considering a bet let alone venturing to the track. I used to attend the odd mid-week meeting there, but even most of their 'feature' meetings aren't worth more than a cursory glance in recent seasons. 

9 hours ago, Idolmite said:

Unless they can at least double the size of their average field, it's not even worth considering a bet let alone venturing to the track. 

Rarely agree with you so chalk this one up!

Despite comments on all sorts of media there has been no sign of any improvement in the management of  major clubs or the industry and the latest comments re dates, the situation at Alex Park and major players looking to pull back (and with good reason) are just a bit sad coming on the eve of the national yearling sales. Cheaper yearlings might entice more smaller buyers (myself included) but stakes on offer, generally speaking, don't match training costs. Much easier and more fun to put a couple of grand in your TAB account and have a little play.

Agree Blue, costs v pos return to race a horse shows only 20 % make a profit which in a business sense is not viable. The dream is still there however which keeps many of us still waiting for the real big winner .even a winner with a "slow" horse at Hawera  would be a thrill (unmeasurable in monetary terms)The win I had at Tauherenikau a few years ago (thanks to Murray G ) is one of my greatest memories. yearling sales can throw up bargains but the serious owners still buy the best bred stock even if 6 figures are needed.

6 hours ago, john legend said:

Agree Blue, costs v pos return to race a horse shows only 20 % make a profit which in a business sense is not viable. The dream is still there however which keeps many of us still waiting for the real big winner .even a winner with a "slow" horse at Hawera  would be a thrill (unmeasurable in monetary terms)The win I had at Tauherenikau a few years ago (thanks to Murray G ) is one of my greatest memories. yearling sales can throw up bargains but the serious owners still buy the best bred stock even if 6 figures are needed.

Sorry about commenting on slow horses , but I was reading your thread at the same time I was reading the BLichter article on the allocation of dates etc ,ATC losing their Friday nights and admission by Lincoln Farms and ATC President that the end is nigh.

Its great you enjoyed your win with your slow horse.....those economics only last for so long.....spend $20k to $80k on a horse and enjoy a win of $5k less expenses and spend $150 on a photo for wall.

The comment 'slow horses' I picked up from a few trainers........along with its a 'CD' horse , or 'its qualified but will not be a racehorse'.

Had dozens of them so talk from  personal experience.

And i think I got a Hawera Cup in my garage ....and a Te Awamutu Cup and another grass track cup won at Cromwell so i know my grass ! 

11 hours ago, eljay said:

Auckland have been abandoned by the national administrators whose only agenda appears to be to close North Island racing in general and Auckland in particular.      And where is the minister????       Couldn't give a RATS could he?

Racing Ministers in NZ have never ever given a rat's arse, you are so correct. We have no show

Auckland is the author of its own demise when it comes to retaining 'faster' horses. As an owner of multiple R70+ horses that have raced at Auckland over the years,  we are disillusioned by how good middle grade horses are used as fodder. We are perfectly happy to enter FFA feature races so the champs can win good money and we just get appearance money (and losing a rating point). But what annoys us is that  'normal' races for our current R71 trotter at Auckland are always handicaps with a max back mark that is a gift for the same champs again and again.  At least our boy is usually off the front and gets minor placings, so is paying his way. Those just below the champs run top races for little reward and end up on a one way trip to Aussie. And the pacers against the guns in sprint mobiles are worse off. I really believe that when putting programmes/fields together at Auckland for a relatively small horse population,  more variation in race format is needed from week to week (bigger mix of distance and hcp/mobiles to suit for a wider range of horse) and account must be taken of current form and earnings (several good wins 18 months ago shouldn't be a lifetime penalty). The rating system moves too slowly for a good honest horse and after all, what is the primary aim of handicapping? 

15 hours ago, Nelli said:

account must be taken of current form and earnings (several good wins 18 months ago shouldn't be a lifetime penalty). The rating system moves too slowly for a good honest horse and after all, what is the primary aim of handicapping? 

Nelli,  You just nailed it.  The above quote should be compulsory reading for every board member of HRNZ.

Auckland should have retained Mr Kevin Smith as it is noticeable there is a decrease in the ability to programme races to ensure larger competitive fields in the last 18 months. 

The new" watering system" at Hawera will settle the dust but hope someone can turn off as getting overdone by the hour.!!! Hope they dont have to sack the mobile driver and try walk ups as there are  always some  drivers willing to beat the system.Betting can become difficult.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, Nelli said:

Auckland is the author of its own demise when it comes to retaining 'faster' horses. As an owner of multiple R70+ horses that have raced at Auckland over the years,  we are disillusioned by how good middle grade horses are used as fodder. We are perfectly happy to enter FFA feature races so the champs can win good money and we just get appearance money (and losing a rating point). But what annoys us is that  'normal' races for our current R71 trotter at Auckland are always handicaps with a max back mark that is a gift for the same champs again and again.  At least our boy is usually off the front and gets minor placings, so is paying his way. Those just below the champs run top races for little reward and end up on a one way trip to Aussie. And the pacers against the guns in sprint mobiles are worse off. I really believe that when putting programmes/fields together at Auckland for a relatively small horse population,  more variation in race format is needed from week to week (bigger mix of distance and hcp/mobiles to suit for a wider range of horse) and account must be taken of current form and earnings (several good wins 18 months ago shouldn't be a lifetime penalty). The rating system moves too slowly for a good honest horse and after all, what is the primary aim of handicapping? 

Nothing to do with Hawera , but.............As Fred Dagg sung "you don't know how lucky are"

You obviously have a nice horse there , one of the small % of horses who can pay it's way. 

I assume you have a trotter ,as you often refer to them and you mention it off the front mark often . ATC use the stand start to try and cater for all horses and there seems to be few in the 70+ range.  In recent times 3 x of our best ever Trotters ,Sundees Son ,Temporale and Bolt for Brilliance have lined up which yes means you will be canon fodder but your range of trotter is catered for over 50 x times during the year and one of the champs has won about 12 to 15 times ,including the Group races so your horse still regularly racing for $17.5 k stakes....minimum !

Plus there has been a variety of distances ,including mobiles off equal marks.

Most of the horses who race in these events ,often just 7 or 8 horse fields , seem to pay their way .

eg last season  [ 16 months]Invictus raced 29 times for 5xwin ,5xseconds for stakes of $78k ....it currently rated 77 and in last 10 starts had mobiles @ 1600 and 2200 m , 4 x stands @ 2200m and 4 x stands at @2700m. Beaten by Temporale 6 x times.

Anditover raced 23 times for 3 x wins and 4 x seconds for $57k ......was beaten by SS once , Temporale twice and Bolt for Brilliance 3 x times.

In previous 26 starts it twice raced behind Majestic Man ,another 'star'.In last 10 starts it had 2 x mobiles and 8 stands...average field size just 8 ,often 7 .

Rated 71.Career 8 wins from 40....over $110k.

Credit Master...Rated 82....last season had 17 starts for 3 wins and a second . Career 58 starts ,12 wins 

Kings Landing ...Rated 79.....Last season 27 starts , 2 x wins ,2 x seconds for $60k stakes. Career 7 wins from 47 starts and $142 k

Beaten 4 x times by Temporale ,3 x BFB.......4 x times raced in 6 horse field ,and 3 x times 7 horse fields

Lady Be Good...rated 63 last season 18 starts for 5 wins and $47k  . Career 33 starts for 6 wins

Rain Mist And Muscle ....Rated 57.....Season 32 starts for 5 x wins and $69 k.

The main two trots on Thursday had a 10 point range and both were won by lowest rating horses in race from #2 at mobile after Preferential drawer.

I think the club , regularly faced with small nominations in each rating group does a good job in given all horses a race and a fair handicap ...of course in odd mobile or race with a max hcp of say 30m give the champs a big adv but they need races too and recently only 4 x nominated and the race deleted.

The above figures show that your horse ,assuming it one of those mentioned gets ample chances to pay its way  .Even the trot racing in South has the odd mobile where the lower rated have little chance v the champs and the range of rating 15 to 20 points or more ,even in mobile.

Horse numbers mean the club has few options ...and they will never please everyone.

Owners have the Option to sell overseas and many do.......Horses get far more options in Aussie.

Back to Hawera......sad they got rained off but a reminder why All weather tracks basically replaced grass Harness tracks in 1960's and 1970's  AND of course Harness used to break from early June to early August , 7 or 8 weeks.

Having a horse that can pay its way and win 3 x races is VERY GOOD.......I had shares in about 15 and I had only one which achieved this ,and just total of two who paid way ....15% ,and that about the average I guess.

I do know how lucky we are to have a horse that can race for good money and pay its way. But to take it above the personal to the general, having a horse racing almost solely at Auckland makes me aware how much the race programming and handicapping favours some horses much more than others (particularly 'sit and sprinters' that can leave the gate fast, over stayers). The latter do relatively better on the grass so sad Hawera abandoned (but with that much rain and flooding in the region, even an AW meeting might have been abandoned).

On 2/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, john legend said:

Its not Easter (sad:rcf-sad-10:) but great recovery with large fields this friday and sunday.Congratulations to Brendan Towers and Carey Hobbs and the team for not giving up on the dream of grass track racing in Taranaki.With covid restrictions obviously the club would appreciate good turnover.The miserable amongst us that considered CD racing was a distant memory hide your heads in shame. The rest of us lets support the club by all having a few $20 bets on friday.   to help.' john the punters pal' provides the winners below !!!              R2... I Wont Back down                                                                                                                          R4....Caulfield                                                                                                                                         R6.....Smokinhotcheddar                                                                                                                                                     R7.....Mr Incredible                                                                                                                                 R9.....Watch and learn                                                                                                                              R10..Clymenus

Good Luck for a great day for owners/trainers/drivers/ punters and the little Club that refused to accept defeat !!!                                                                                                        

The drive on hot favourite Caulfield (Race 4) left a lot to be desired! David Butcher showed little vigour at all when they started coming wide out (his son Ben nabbed him on 31-1 shot  Letsgodancing). Just a half-hearted flick of the wrists when the other horse has the momentum was not a good look.  

On 2/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Nelli said:

I do know how lucky we are to have a horse that can race for good money and pay its way. But to take it above the personal to the general, having a horse racing almost solely at Auckland makes me aware how much the race programming and handicapping favours some horses much more than others (particularly 'sit and sprinters' that can leave the gate fast, over stayers). The latter do relatively better on the grass so sad Hawera abandoned (but with that much rain and flooding in the region, even an AW meeting might have been abandoned).

My earlier list of current Northern trotters overlooked She Reigns who is now rated 94 having won 14 races and 9 seconds from 52 starts for $131 k.

Her connections took a different approach.

After winning 5 races at Auckland over first 2 x seasons she mainly concentrated on Cambridge and between August 2020 and October 2021 she won 9 x races all at Cambridge.In the extended season of 17 months she won 9 x races from 28 races for $68 k.

She often raced off marks , winning at least 3 x times off 50m ,and once off 60m. She raced and won over all distances and from mobiles !

As to wet days at the trots few would match the the lead up days to the 2019 Harness Jewels at Addington. The track was amazing after a flood of water , the banking meaning the puddles moved to inside the markers.The ashphalt carparks had 2 x inches of water filling one's shoes.