RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Steps For Racing Under Red

4 hours ago, Leggy said:

What? Didn't make a trial field?

Yes us and many others were left out. Due to cancelled races and closed tracks. There are 25 heats at Ellerslie, say about 170 horses to run. The sad thing is NZTR has no clout against disfunctional management. (Should at least be a demerit system) So they put the boot into licence holders.

The horse will run Tuesday at Cambridge trials

4 hours ago, Nerula said:

Yes us and many others were left out. Due to cancelled races and closed tracks. There are 25 heats at Ellerslie, say about 170 horses to run. The sad thing is NZTR has no clout against disfunctional management. (Should at least be a demerit system) So they put the boot into licence holders.

The horse will run Tuesday at Cambridge trials

At least you will get a trial even though forced onto the AWT when you presumably would have preferred the Ellerslie grass.

Agree on your other comment. They need to find some clout. I've raised it elsewhere, but apparently  "due to the country currently being in COVID Protection Framework ‘RED’ and with the limited timeframe available, this raceday will be run as a closed door meeting.  This means no members of the public, including owners, sponsors and members, will be admitted to this race meeting.  Only essential raceday personnel are permitted to attend."

Very odd that Ellerslie and the WRC managed to organise it this weekend so that owners can attend but the CJC don't have time. NZTR should make it a requirement in order for the club to receive the meeting funding where it is reasonable for them to do so.

Seems like the CEO of Riccarton has his own ideas or just cant be stuffed organising things for members, owners and the public to attend on the weekend...I thought members control the club, they should stand up and make some noise about this ..he should get a bloody rocket under him IF it is his fault for this not a good look at all.

16 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Seems like the CEO of Riccarton has his own ideas or just cant be stuffed organising things for members, owners and the public to attend on the weekend...I thought members control the club, they should stand up and make some noise about this ..he should get a bloody rocket under him for this not a good look at all.

Exactly. Also, it is an object of the NZTROF "to take all necessary steps to promote, develop, maintain and safeguard the interests, rights and privileges of thoroughbred racehorse owners". Hopefully, they have also taken it up with the CJC or if not yet, will do so shortly. They should also be putting a rocket under them. Neil?

2 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Seems like the CEO of Riccarton has his own ideas or just cant be stuffed organising things for members, owners and the public to attend on the weekend...I thought members control the club, they should stand up and make some noise about this ..he should get a bloody rocket under him for this not a good look at all.

I have no idea what has happened this week for Riccarton - and it is a pity if people can't attend.

But for some balance ..... Cup Week here was devasted by lockdown changes just prior to the meeting. Despite that the Club managed to get 2,000 + on course for each of the three days. Organised separate areas for members, owners and corporates and generally made the best of a bad situation.

So your comment the CEO "can't be stuffed" are clearly incorrect and OTT.

And I should add - I had booked flights and a hotel this weekend for my annual trip to the Wellington Cup. I join a great crew who are well organised with a car park out the back, tickets for the members lunch etc etc. The Club after exploring if it could still happen pulled the pin early this week. Annoying but I sympathise with the Club. The point being I get the disappointment of not being able to get on course.

27 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I have no idea what has happened this week for Riccarton - and it is a pity if people can't attend.

But for some balance ..... Cup Week here was devasted by lockdown changes just prior to the meeting. Despite that the Club managed to get 2,000 + on course for each of the three days. Organised separate areas for members, owners and corporates and generally made the best of a bad situation.

So your comment the CEO "can't be stuffed" are clearly incorrect and OTT.

And I should add - I had booked flights and a hotel this weekend for my annual trip to the Wellington Cup. I join a great crew who are well organised with a car park out the back, tickets for the members lunch etc etc. The Club after exploring if it could still happen pulled the pin early this week. Annoying but I sympathise with the Club. The point being I get the disappointment of not being able to get on course.

Doesn't that just accentuate Scooby's point? They managed to organise for 2000+ oncourse for cup week but can't organise for any this week.

13 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Doesn't that just accentuate Scooby's point? They managed to organise for 2000+ oncourse for cup week but can't organise for any this week.

No it doesn't.

It rebuts his comments that they can't be bothered - why the heck would any CEO not try their best for the Club ?

Neither Scooby, nor you nor I have the facts. To leap to a conclusion or to accuse someone of not doing their job is not useful. 

38 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

No it doesn't.

It rebuts his comments that they can't be bothered - why the heck would any CEO not try their best for the Club ?

Neither Scooby, nor you nor I have the facts. To leap to a conclusion or to accuse someone of not doing their job is not useful. 

So maybe you could find out because it looks very odd Trentham all good to arrange to get people on course ...Riccarton nobody...wouldnt you think that is strange I will be the first to say I was wrong if it is proven so but it does not look good...JMO.

15 minutes ago, Leggy said:

There may be a good reason. However, I don't think the time-frame one stated is a good one. I have suggested that the NZTROF follow up on behalf of owners. Hopefully they will and report back here.

Dont hold your breath mate.

The problem is the tail wags the dog. NZTR is largely controlled by club votes. Licence holders and Owners (despicably named ) Sector Groups are in a minority and are often ignored. Anyone from these Groups who puts the pressure on NZTR then wants to ascend to that body is probably cancelled as a stirrer.

The constitution of NZTR needs to change as it hog ties excellence

Consequences for slack club admin are rare and poor performance is endemic with the odd exeption

4 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Given they have accomplished pretty much nothing for owners in at least the last decade, I won't be getting my hopes up.

That is just bullshit and a kick in the guts for unpaid people trying to make a broken system better.. Read my above post.

6 minutes ago, Nerula said:

That is just bullshit and a kick in the guts for unpaid people trying to make a broken system better.. Read my above post.

Perhaps you would list the key accomplishments for our benefit then. I agree with the above post though. And yes, it is a broken system.

Anyway, will you agree to tackle the CJC issue and report back please? I know it is a thankless job.

6 hours ago, Leggy said:

Perhaps you would list the key accomplishments for our benefit then. I agree with the above post though. And yes, it is a broken system.

Anyway, will you agree to tackle the CJC issue and report back please? I know it is a thankless job.

WELL DONE PRESIDENT BERNARD – BUT KEEP GOING!

In what has been an unusual year by any standards the Federation has been very well served by President Bernard Hickey. His efforts are very much appreciated by those who have worked with him on the Executive of the NZ Thoroughbred Racehorse Owners Federation.

A little over 12 months ago Bernard was making submissions on the NZTR Venue Plan, pointing out the need to have a policy around what requirements a Racing Venue should have in place to conduct a race meeting, the need for financial analysis and the impact that race meetings and racecourses have on the Community. He had already expressed concern about the lack of justification and financial analysis in the NZTR consultation document and NZTR convened meeting he attended.

Attention then turned to the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC) appointed by the Racing Minister to prioritise the recommendations from the Messara Report. Unfortunately, MAC did not engage with the racing industry to the extent expected. MAC became the Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) with the passing of the Racing Reform Bill mid 2019 and was charged with making the “urgent changes required to drive the racing industry toward a financially sustainable future.”
In his 2019 President’s Annual Report Bernard commented that “leadership and communication is imperative from within our governance structures both at RITA and NZTR level where accountability and responsibility must be at the forefront of our industry. To be honest both topics should be discussed honestly and reported upon at each meeting. Too many bad decisions or financial blunders have been pushed under the carpet in the past without challenge. We are a unique industry but people should be held accountable for their actions and decisions. Integrity is not just a dirty word.”

In November the President requested NZTR to look at removing nomination fees for all races with the exception of listed and group races. “It’s not just a case of extra stake money as we must endeavour to reduce owner’s costs.”

There was dismay across the industry when the second Racing Bill was released late in
2019, which appeared hell bent on derailing the intent of the Messara Report. Bernard led the questions at an open meeting convened by RITA in January pointing out that the Bill did not support the intention of the Messara Report or the expectations the Minister had of RITA. Strong submissions to the Select Committee were needed and all were urged to make known their disgust with the content of the Racing Bill.

In April the Federation took the step to seek information under the Official Information
Act 2012 due to concerns around the lack of clarity and factual information being released
by the Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) especially around its viability to fund the Racing Industry and Racing Codes, that RITA’s financial position and ability to trade prior to the advent of COVID-19 was in a serious position that lead to the change of Bankers and RITA not disclosing its true Financial Position, to the extent it has failed to fund the codes.

In addition NZTROF wished to refer to the Minister for Racing’s Letter of Expectations of RITA, which NZTROF believed RITA had breached in part or full as part of its duty of care to the NZ Racing Industry and its Stakeholders, which is resulting in a number of ‘Owners’ considering their options to the peril of the industry.

Bernard has participated fully in monthly teleconferences with NZTR and the other Sector groups, has attended the AGM’s of NZTR and RITA and as a current member of the Members Council has ensured that they undertake their responsibilities under the NZTR Constitution.
Now that the Racing Bill, suitably amended by the Select Committee has passed into law the pressure is on to ensure that NZTR is appropriately structured to undertake its new responsibilities. Serious questions are being asked about future accountability to the industry, especially Clubs and Sector Groups and the changes needed to the NZTR Constitution, including possible regional representation.

The Federation is fortunate in having Bernard at the helm. His tertiary qualifications, his work experience in Justice, Health and Defence and his skin in the game as an Owner and administrator through the Hawkes Bay Association and the Federation ensure he has the necessary background and skills for the job.

Your first request Leggy is answered above. i can tell you that without NZTROF work at various government Committees racing would be in an even bigger mess..

Can you back up on the snide stuff? And seem a better human being. Front up with your name would be a good start  - and you would then have an image to polish..

1 hour ago, Nerula said:

WELL DONE PRESIDENT BERNARD – BUT KEEP GOING!

In what has been an unusual year by any standards the Federation has been very well served by President Bernard Hickey. His efforts are very much appreciated by those who have worked with him on the Executive of the NZ Thoroughbred Racehorse Owners Federation.

A little over 12 months ago Bernard was making submissions on the NZTR Venue Plan, pointing out the need to have a policy around what requirements a Racing Venue should have in place to conduct a race meeting, the need for financial analysis and the impact that race meetings and racecourses have on the Community. He had already expressed concern about the lack of justification and financial analysis in the NZTR consultation document and NZTR convened meeting he attended.

Attention then turned to the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC) appointed by the Racing Minister to prioritise the recommendations from the Messara Report. Unfortunately, MAC did not engage with the racing industry to the extent expected. MAC became the Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) with the passing of the Racing Reform Bill mid 2019 and was charged with making the “urgent changes required to drive the racing industry toward a financially sustainable future.”
In his 2019 President’s Annual Report Bernard commented that “leadership and communication is imperative from within our governance structures both at RITA and NZTR level where accountability and responsibility must be at the forefront of our industry. To be honest both topics should be discussed honestly and reported upon at each meeting. Too many bad decisions or financial blunders have been pushed under the carpet in the past without challenge. We are a unique industry but people should be held accountable for their actions and decisions. Integrity is not just a dirty word.”

In November the President requested NZTR to look at removing nomination fees for all races with the exception of listed and group races. “It’s not just a case of extra stake money as we must endeavour to reduce owner’s costs.”

There was dismay across the industry when the second Racing Bill was released late in
2019, which appeared hell bent on derailing the intent of the Messara Report. Bernard led the questions at an open meeting convened by RITA in January pointing out that the Bill did not support the intention of the Messara Report or the expectations the Minister had of RITA. Strong submissions to the Select Committee were needed and all were urged to make known their disgust with the content of the Racing Bill.

In April the Federation took the step to seek information under the Official Information
Act 2012 due to concerns around the lack of clarity and factual information being released
by the Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) especially around its viability to fund the Racing Industry and Racing Codes, that RITA’s financial position and ability to trade prior to the advent of COVID-19 was in a serious position that lead to the change of Bankers and RITA not disclosing its true Financial Position, to the extent it has failed to fund the codes.

In addition NZTROF wished to refer to the Minister for Racing’s Letter of Expectations of RITA, which NZTROF believed RITA had breached in part or full as part of its duty of care to the NZ Racing Industry and its Stakeholders, which is resulting in a number of ‘Owners’ considering their options to the peril of the industry.

Bernard has participated fully in monthly teleconferences with NZTR and the other Sector groups, has attended the AGM’s of NZTR and RITA and as a current member of the Members Council has ensured that they undertake their responsibilities under the NZTR Constitution.
Now that the Racing Bill, suitably amended by the Select Committee has passed into law the pressure is on to ensure that NZTR is appropriately structured to undertake its new responsibilities. Serious questions are being asked about future accountability to the industry, especially Clubs and Sector Groups and the changes needed to the NZTR Constitution, including possible regional representation.

The Federation is fortunate in having Bernard at the helm. His tertiary qualifications, his work experience in Justice, Health and Defence and his skin in the game as an Owner and administrator through the Hawkes Bay Association and the Federation ensure he has the necessary background and skills for the job.

Your first request Leggy is answered above. i can tell you that without NZTROF work at various government Committees racing would be in an even bigger mess..

Can you back up on the snide stuff? And seem a better human being. Front up with your name would be a good start  - and you would then have an image to polish..

I think you misread my question Neil. I asked what benefits had accrued for owners from the work of the NZTROF, not what work they had done. You know my name as do many here. We communicated some years back via this site when you persuaded me to join the NZTROF and again when I decided to unjoin.

But back to the point of this thread as noted by Scooby above. What has the NZTROF done or what are they doing with respect to the position the CJC has taken disallowing owners to attend their meeting tomorrow?

There has been too much time since our brief contact to recall your name. I delete the superfluous. 

It seems you want me to do your bidding and I wont play that game. You left your Owners Assn years ago and you have a negative view ever since.

You want to chip away at Racing - and demonstrate how smart you are by nit picking. I really cant abide negativity. It is such an unhealthy state. 

I also point out that opinions I voice here are personal and I do not follow this site in any officially recognised capacity.

You got right up my nose as I have slogged away all this week to produce another publication to add a little fabric to current Racing. Like my associates for no payment - (not that I need that). But I see the sacrifices of others and crass statements denigrating that from you and your ilk are offensive.

11 hours ago, Nerula said:

There has been too much time since our brief contact to recall your name. I delete the superfluous. 

It seems you want me to do your bidding and I wont play that game. You left your Owners Assn years ago and you have a negative view ever since.

You want to chip away at Racing - and demonstrate how smart you are by nit picking. I really cant abide negativity. It is such an unhealthy state. 

I also point out that opinions I voice here are personal and I do not follow this site in any officially recognised capacity.

You got right up my nose as I have slogged away all this week to produce another publication to add a little fabric to current Racing. Like my associates for no payment - (not that I need that). But I see the sacrifices of others and crass statements denigrating that from you and your ilk are offensive.

Cripes. That's a bit harsh Neil. For a small player you will find I have contributed countless voluntary hours to the industry at several levels, licence-holder associations, club committees, running trial meetings, pro bono research for NZTR, advocacy for licence holders etc. All the while participating as an owner both in breeding and racing for just on 50 years now.

If you think it is nit picking to question why owners are excluded from today's CJC meeting, when Ellerslie and Trentham manage to accommodate them, then we are on quite different pages. I have owned and raced a horse or two in NZ for 50 years now. 2 in work currently. With ownership comes responsibility but also some privileges.  When one of those is taken away without reasonable explanation, I think I have every right to complain if not a responsibility to do so. I am not alone. Plenty of other owners with horses in at Riccarton are very annoyed.

And they still have not said what the real reason is...maybe where there is smoke there is fire...CEO Tim is welcome to come on and explain...I have no issue with that...but as I say I won't be holding my breath...just owners being treated with the disdain that has become normal unfortunately these days.Sad really.

40 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

So what happened to finding out why the CJC could not be bothered to arrange people to be on course yesterday...all seems to have gone very quiet on that front...Oh thats right its the weekend ...maybe the CEO was off for the weekend.😄

IMO many folk are just being pragmatic .

With all the restrictions in place ,it's not much fun and weigh it all up with the dire predictions on how this omicron is going to spread ,people are coming to conclusion it more sensible to stay at home.

I read where the Streets , part-owners of Lincoln King came to this conclusion even though they regular attendees and they had the favourite for Wellington Cup.Why travel for hours, in their case by plane and taxi ,and be cooped up in a small room for hours with the hazards that go with that.

I too cancelled my booked flight etc to Wellington Cup and will watch our horse race today from the carpark cos it nearby , or in 'luxury' at home !

Not worth the aggravation of being herded into a room and then being told to leave straight after race with no  normal contact allowed with trainer etc.

Who wants  10-14 days isolation and risk others in household to be off work etc.