RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

The meeting that FIRES up NZ .....Karaka night !

Bring it on...polish up the shoes , put on some nice threads , get the fascinator in place and prepare for a good night out. !

Competitive racing , many of NZ's top stables and jockeys chasing the big bucks after a year or two since the hopeful purchase at Sales.

Sad there no Aussie jockeys or horses competing so its an all-Kiwi affair .

Folk around the City been talking the Karaka night all week and beyond ....at the beautiful Ellerslie course , 8 mins from CBD on a beautiful manicured track.

No holes ,no golfers running on track , no streakers running on track , no false starts , no equipment cock ups....well none planned anyway !

Just great racing on NZ's only 'International ' racecourse.

The Java's.....just another valued Aucklander.... are ready for a great night out and visitors around the city from Christchurch ,Invercargill , Westport , Palmerston North and Taranaki ,the Bay and Waikato are in town to enjoy it.

Some at home are going to see red ,and green eyed as they are every year ,will point out and claim the day is heavily subsidised by our smaller clubs thru NZTR , plus the races really sweepstakes and to start , the First race only has 7 starters ...Gore and Kumara do better ! It's a failure !

Then that other green eyed attraction ......Boys Get Paid......young guys and gals and not so young from all round NZ ,meeting in a big room enjoying themselves ,singing and supporting those on stage and boosting turnover in no small way.

To date their punters club pool is at nearly $450k..........so  it does have a few followers. Who would do that...crazy !

Don't you just hate that...not only does this outfit like to dressup a little and eat and drink they actually bet....in fact this lot are going to bet at least twice from their beer stool ,what the whole of the West Coast and tourists bet on the years biggest day...Kumara.

Image how some of us will laugh if they end up losing like 95% of us...such ridicule......and that f8%/kin TAB giving them better odds than the rest of us !

This ain't fair ! It's just not !

Nothing gets us worked up like Karaka night....I got my fascinator , my BGP shirt and sox and badge , my punters club ticket and off to have a great day of NZ Racing.

A live band afterwards , then back into town afterwards where P4P awaits in The Viaduct with his 'new' Boxing ring at the ready where any  smouldering disagreements can be worked out .

Gunna be a great day/night......Bring it On !

The night when some like their glass half empty !

The Golden question as with most Ellerslie racedays of late is which part of the track to avoid, with Tiptronic in the first those taking the 1.90 will be hoping it's not the rail...we shall see . Te Rapa the other day showed us yet again how inconsistent these two racecourses can be and how important it is for Jockeys to pay attention.......but we know the odds now try and beat them . Good luck and remember Vaccinated mostly  carry Aderns invisible peril, a disease so nasty  you need to be told you've got it 🤣 Dont get tested, no cases no 'Pandemic 🙄

I agree with  crustyngrizzly. I'm sure it's a great day out with atmosphere and some nice horses going around but overall the races are a borefest. Don't have much interest in watching a bunch of restricted races. Rather go for one decent Group 1, or an iconic open handicap. Pales in comparison to the old Jan1/2 meetings there with multiple unrestricted Group races which I rarely missed.

9 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Geez some of you would moan if your arse was on fire...its a good day..it gets people to the races that has to be a good thing and unfortunately times change and if racing does not change with it we will be finished...JMO.

Maybe but imo some of the changes are helping to finish it.

6 hours ago, Leggy said:

I agree with  crustyngrizzly. I'm sure it's a great day out with atmosphere and some nice horses going around but overall the races are a borefest. Don't have much interest in watching a bunch of restricted races. Rather go for one decent Group 1, or an iconic open handicap. Pales in comparison to the old Jan1/2 meetings there with multiple unrestricted Group races which I rarely missed.

A borefest !!!!

You too funny Leggy.....Have you been to the Karaka night races ?

In fact have you been to Ellerslie ?? Ventured out from your CD cage ? Unlocked the shackles !

The town is buzzing....big marathon tomorrow as well......High tide was at 12 noon so beach visit out of way and the Testosterone on display there moving to Ellerslie after a visit to HQ ,in Viaduct.

The mine Host at Headquarters is stacking them high , in ready for them to fly.

BGP pool up over $550 k......my tiny share of that is minuscule but the heart is pumping...what if they lose the lot ?

The uber approaches Ellerslie the gardens look great , the new stables complex is bristling , vax certificate at the ready !

I think I see Chevy ,he must have finished sailing early and skipped the trip to his bach /crib and maybe Turncoat Tom who is studying the Aussie fields and their slow tracks , and the other green-eyed southerners who seem to have given up . Just race reject Northerners now !

I'm glad my glass is still half full.

2 minutes ago, tasman man said:

I'm glad my glass is still half full.

Mine is too. Used to go to Ellerslie every year for the Jan 1/2 festival as I said but not since they were disbanded. Not much interest in restricted races as I said and probably have better things to do than waste time even watching them or betting on them. That's just me. But enjoy the night out.

TM you certainly weave apologies for NZ racing and your latest effort is a delight.

HQ is Flemington a superb track it is where they run the MC, Melbourne Cup.

Enjoy the corporates and the manufactured crowd with the big punting purse and in 4 races we have odds on favs, no thanks give me HQ or Royal Randwick with their two  4 tiered public stands mostly full on Saturdays, that's 20000 on course.

Anyway when I lived in Auckland for 25 years rarely missed a meet in Greenlane and have fond memories of Boxing Day and NY day when NZ had racing. Sadly gone of course.

Gotta go race coming up at Randwick, want to see how my hundy goes

33 minutes ago, tasman man said:

Have you been to the Karaka night races ?

In fact have you been to Ellerslie ?? Ventured out from your CD cage ? Unlocked the shackles !

Sadly, nothing left in the CD either TM for a decent day out. All pretty sad really. Rather spend my money for the likes of a few days racing at Marlborough, Wairoa or the coast than go to Karaka night. Not much of that left either. Just me. Hard to find any joy in NZ racing any more. But I think there are many like me.

4 hours ago, gubellini said:

As a Trackside viewer tonight the best news is that Danielle Johnson will be co-presenting. Why Trackside don’t use more elite participants like her is beyond my comprehension.

Absolutely agree, she is making the stammering, giggling Rodley look like an amateur. You would think his bosses would tell him yes be enthusiastic etc, but pull the reins in for f sake.

Agree with the positive comments...just got home from KM night. Tons of fun, noisy crowd who perhaps are more interested in fornicating than fetlocks but...who cares. 

I am tired of being 1 of 150 people on course for decent races. Bring it on I say. Hope the club made a ton of dough, and the BGP got out ahead too....

Must say very enjoyable day and a happy vocal crowd , probably the best place to be in Auckland today by a margin.I noticed one of the stable hands injured in the back parade ring ,hope all is well . Thanks Tassie....

You wouldn't of guessed we were on the cusp of another of aderns restrictions watching racegoers condense around the back of the members stand today,great to see some normal Human behaviour and unvaxed in attendance 

11 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Geez some of you would moan if your arse was on fire...its a good day..it gets people to the races that has to be a good thing and unfortunately times change and if racing does not change with it we will be finished...JMO.

I probably would moan if my arse was on fire Scooby 😁 .. certainly wouldn't be silent 

How big a loss is Jamie Richards going to be to NZ racing...an outstanding trainer way beyond his years...and yes he has a team around him but so have many others before him...predicting he will be a kiwi flag bearer up there and don't think we will ever see him back here to train again...I think he will give the premiership up there a huge shake in years to come...wish him and Danielle all the best.