RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

New TABNZ CEO

TAB NZ has appointed corporate executive Mike Tod as Chief Executive Officer.

Board Chair Mark Stewart says Mike will take up the position on March 21.

“The Board and I are thrilled to welcome someone of Mike’s international experience to lead TAB NZ. He is a deeply customer-centric leader with extensive experience in key areas of focus for our organisation, including product and service innovation, marketing, brand and consumer engagement. His appointment and those areas of focus will allow us to drive further revenue growth for our racing and sporting stakeholders” Mr Stewart says.

Mike has held senior roles with TVNZ, Fonterra, Air New Zealand and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. He is a former member of MasterCard’s Asia Pacific Advisory Board, is a Director of Queenstown Airport, and is an advisor to Live Ocean Racing.

He is a graduate of Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Programme and the university’s Sustainability Leadership Programme, and is also a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing.

“Mike’s global experience with Air New Zealand - in particular as Chief Marketing and Customer Officer where he led the resurgence of the brand and delivery of proactive and service innovations internationally - places TAB NZ in a strong position to meet its financial potential and to deliver upon the expectations of its stakeholders,” Mr Stewart says.

“His experience in highly regulated industries and with organisations with significant stakeholder complexity, will be invaluable to TAB NZ.

Mike says he is thrilled to be given the opportunity to lead TAB NZ into the next exciting chapter of its history.

“TAB NZ is an iconic organisation that is inextricably linked to New Zealand’s way of life. Now that the racing industry reforms are well advanced, this allows TAB NZ, as a commercial wagering operator, to focus on its objectives of maximising profits for the long-term benefit of racing in New Zealand, to maximise returns to New Zealand sporting organisations, and to support our communities,” Mike says.

Mike‘s commencement in the role on March 21 will complete the transition from the New Zealand Racing Board and the Racing Industry Transition Agency to TAB NZ.

ENDS

For more information, please contact:

Matt Smith
TAB NZ

e     matt.smith@tab.co.nz
m   +64 27 228 5423

let the moaning commence or will he be a hit with racing's social media gurus

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Great another non racing muppet in a suit...just what the industry needs. it does not say anywhere in there he has a passion for racing or even an interest in any sports...great.No wonder the industry is Donald Ducked.

Who did you have in mind ???

Seems to be a cosy arrangement between elite Recruitment Agencies and so called business high flyers. History tells us that portability of business skills to racing and gaming has been a failure in NZ. Maybe Mike Tod will prove me wrong but the odds of doing so would be pretty juicy.

15 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Nobody but it would be nice to have someone with at least an interest in sports or racing..with some previous management in these areas...would you not agree.

Agreed, scooby.

Far too often Racing appoints someone with a wonderful-looking CV ... without underrstanding that that wonderful-looking CV has been built up simply by the appointee in question scouring the job markets to find positions that will look wonderful when he does his next scour...

Some interesting responses. Yet nobody said a word when political appointment of Sir Mark Stewart as new Chairman was announced. He has surprised many with this lack of racing  knowledge  but then again his is or should be a governance role.

I applauded Sir Mark Stewart's appointment as chairman.

BUT, following this recent chief executive officer's appointment I now have  my doubts about Sir Mark Stewart.

A CEO must have a real good knowledge of the industry that he/she is involved in.  Wagering is a weird industry and I doubt whether Tod would know that Aussies bet more on quinellas than they do on trifectas.  That is, from a perusal of his curriculum vitae, he has no knowledge of the unbelievable intricacies involved in the wagering industry, and your eyes would water over if I typed up four A4 pages of just a few of those details, all of which are important.  Without that knowledge he will be unable to determine whether the multitude of reports submitted to him by underlings are bull dust or not.

I think that Tod would be very good at running an outfit like Foodstuffs, where textbook management decisions can be made.  No school of management has ever been set up to educate any "high flyer' in the unusual details of a wagering business.

My greengrocer at my supermarket told me that they have run out of lemons.  I am scared that Sir Mark Stewart may have grabbed the last one. 

It’s simply a leadership role - no real understanding of racing needed. That’s why the code bodies exist.

It’s moreso an understanding of the levers that will create a difference. Turnover, margin, sales mix and costs. 100% of businesses are driven by these simple metrics.

Needs a good team around him - not sucker uperers and not political snakes. One hopes that Dean McK has kicked the non-performers for touch?

The less that’s heard from him the better for mine - this is not a role for PR bullshit or pretending to be closely involved in the racing industry. Neither are needed to be successful in terms of bettering the current outcomes.

9 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

It’s simply a leadership role - no real understanding of racing needed. That’s why the code bodies exist.

It’s moreso an understanding of the levers that will create a difference. Turnover, margin, sales mix and costs. 100% of businesses are driven by these simple metrics.

Needs a good team around him - not sucker uperers and not political snakes. One hopes that Dean McK has kicked the non-performers for touch?

The less that’s heard from him the better for mine - this is not a role for PR bullshit or pretending to be closely involved in the racing industry. Neither are needed to be successful in terms of bettering the current outcomes.

Smart post .Despite what the serial moaners are saying elsewhere, the TAB is in far better shape than when  McKenzie was brought in to sort it out post Messara report. He inherited a nightmare and departs with a new Racing Act. a lean cost effective operation and  record distribution to codes. All this with Auckland shut down and diminished local racing for 2 years. as a result of Covid and Cindy's response to it

The new man inherits a lean cost efficient business where the dead wood has been removed although some have resurfaced elsewhere , Think Woodham and Hughes.

I think we should all wish the guy well and just hope and prey he is not one to go out and fritter away  earnings on non essentials

Reminds me of my late GP ranting about hospitals bringing in ex  brewry CEO's to run them, he maintained how vital it was to have leaders with knowledge of the specific area. Yet here we are heading  down the same old blind alley,  doing the same thing over and over that always end up going down like  a Led Zeppelin.   To cock up is normal , to learn nothing from past cock ups is unforgiveable.

It is a portfolio that requires a degree of understanding of betting and the relationships of the events in order to promote betting. Betting is a black art science that you can't learn overnight. It is not about statistics or odds. It's about the psyche of betting people.  Not sure whether they've got it right but we shall see,