tasman man

Why is Wingatui fading from prominence ?

Recommended Posts

First it was Forbury Park ......it held a prominent place in NZ racing hosting top races and 1965 Interdoms and one of only in South Island with lights.....and now it seems Wingatui on a similar slide to extinction.

A strong gallops area ,Wingatui held several of the South Island top races ,with good dates , a steeplechase track ,room for expansion etc.Close to a big population it was ideally situated less than 2 to 3 hours drive from big pool of Southland , North Otago ,South Canterbury  ,and Central otago horses and feeder courses.

The area homed some top stallions and many of NZ's top trainers and jockeys.

Now look at it...Andertons holding it together.

Local meeting with good stakes and two local trainers with big teams of around 14 horse each...BAnderton and TKennedy.SPrince has 4 ans a couple of solos.

Where has it gone so drastically wrong ?

Why the capitulation of Otago racing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They certainly get more than their fair share of the stakes pool. Every second meeting is a feature meeting, and as Tas says, they have some great dates. 

Dunedin though has never really been a big punting city, they can be pretty tight down that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tasman man said:

First it was Forbury Park ......it held a prominent place in NZ racing hosting top races and 1965 Interdoms and one of only in South Island with lights.....and now it seems Wingatui on a similar slide to extinction.

A strong gallops area ,Wingatui held several of the South Island top races ,with good dates , a steeplechase track ,room for expansion etc.Close to a big population it was ideally situated less than 2 to 3 hours drive from big pool of Southland , North Otago ,South Canterbury  ,and Central otago horses and feeder courses.

The area homed some top stallions and many of NZ's top trainers and jockeys.

Now look at it...Andertons holding it together.

Local meeting with good stakes and two local trainers with big teams of around 14 horse each...BAnderton and TKennedy.SPrince has 4 ans a couple of solos.

Where has it gone so drastically wrong ?

Why the capitulation of Otago racing ?

The days of the big farmers having horses all the time is over. As you say without B J Anderton it would be dead and buried by now. how long will Shane carry on when there is word that the land they own is subject to constant offers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

The days of the big farmers having horses all the time is over. As you say without B J Anderton it would be dead and buried by now. how long will Shane carry on when there is word that the land they own is subject to constant offers

Probably more applicable to Terry Kennedy than to BJ and Shane. But point taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tasman man said:

First it was Forbury Park ......it held a prominent place in NZ racing hosting top races and 1965 Interdoms and one of only in South Island with lights.....and now it seems Wingatui on a similar slide to extinction.

A strong gallops area ,Wingatui held several of the South Island top races ,with good dates , a steeplechase track ,room for expansion etc.Close to a big population it was ideally situated less than 2 to 3 hours drive from big pool of Southland , North Otago ,South Canterbury  ,and Central otago horses and feeder courses.

The area homed some top stallions and many of NZ's top trainers and jockeys.

Now look at it...Andertons holding it together.

Local meeting with good stakes and two local trainers with big teams of around 14 horse each...BAnderton and TKennedy.SPrince has 4 ans a couple of solos.

Where has it gone so drastically wrong ?

Why the capitulation of Otago racing ?

Isn't that the same all over the country? Not just Wingatui. Reasons are the same nationwide aren't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Agree,

They should sell up Wingatui and send the funds to Ellerslie to build another 3 tier stand to accommodate the massive crowds they get there.

Really is a no brainer, why haven't the powers that be honed in on this

😂😂😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Agree,

They should sell up Wingatui and send the funds to Ellerslie to build another 3 tier stand to accommodate the massive crowds they get there.

Really is a no brainer, why haven't the powers that be honed in on this

An article in ODT today about Waikouiti and maybe some decision about the track within the next twelve months, if the club own it and they sell it , just like Forbury they keep the money, they are still a active club, well that's how it should be anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Agree,

They should sell up Wingatui and send the funds to Ellerslie to build another 3 tier stand to accommodate the massive crowds they get there.

Really is a no brainer, why haven't the powers that be honed in on this

You very bitter these days Turncoat Tom........the stand would be better built at Riccarton , it badly needs something for Cup week at least.

Have you ever been to Ellerslie...maybe take a delegation from down your way and take a look at Ellerslie's  stand.

A real good convention area ,holds hundred's of functions every year.

And as you never bet in NZ ,as you proudly tell everyone on here , and have lost interest in NZ racing ,why do your even care  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leggy said:

Isn't that the same all over the country? Not just Wingatui. Reasons are the same nationwide aren't they?

I think no where else that has 12 + meetings a year has the decline in key aspects been so dramatic.

Historically Wingatui has always been a major centre , it has always had a lot of trainers ,hence owners etc ....though in the fact that Forbury Park has been closed and it maybe suggests it has some unique regional issues.

What do you think are the nationwide issues ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tasman man said:

You very bitter these days Turncoat Tom........the stand would be better built at Riccarton , it badly needs something for Cup week at least.

Have you ever been to Ellerslie...maybe take a delegation from down your way and take a look at Ellerslie's  stand.

A real good convention area ,holds hundred's of functions every year.

And as you never bet in NZ ,as you proudly tell everyone on here , and have lost interest in NZ racing ,why do your even care  ?

I am not an apologist for NZ racing, leave that to you as you do a superb job at it.

Agree Riccarton need a new stand and in time, if they survive, will probably get one as the birds around Riccarton Park have been poorly housed for years, it is just unkind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new stand at Riccarton would be awesome, the club appears to be doing well in trying times. Also shudder at the thought of Wingatui being sold, not only a great training base but generally a racetrack where most horses get a go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tasman man said:

What do you think are the nationwide issues ?

 

I hope that is not a serious question. I and others have been talking about those here and elsewhere for at least 15 years and racing has gone exactly where we predicted then without fixing them. I'm not wasting any more breath reiterating them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leggy said:

I hope that is not a serious question. I and others have been talking about those here and elsewhere for at least 15 years and racing has gone exactly where we predicted then without fixing them. I'm not wasting any more breath reiterating them.

Very sorry then.......prolific posters should familiarise  themselves with the 'boy who cried wolf'.

Volume of talk doesn't equate to quality of ideas .

I've read dozens of views on NZ racing on here which are fanciful  and lacking in reality.

Usually they are dominated by personal interest and/or regional bias and these two have influenced the decision makers for 50 years.

Where I've lived I have seen the Industry slip away  and few of the local participants who could have changed things have been unwilling and quite happy to carry on ...failed to do even the basics.....basically volunteers and amateurs with personal interests .

You been talking for 15 years , there's been a lot of talk and little action for 50 years at least !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tasman man said:

Very sorry then.......prolific posters should familiarise  themselves with the 'boy who cried wolf'.

Volume of talk doesn't equate to quality of ideas .

I've read dozens of views on NZ racing on here which are fanciful  and lacking in reality.

Usually they are dominated by personal interest and/or regional bias and these two have influenced the decision makers for 50 years.

Where I've lived I have seen the Industry slip away  and few of the local participants who could have changed things have been unwilling and quite happy to carry on ...failed to do even the basics.....basically volunteers and amateurs with personal interests .

You been talking for 15 years , there's been a lot of talk and little action for 50 years at least !

 

Exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.