RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

Tyler's at Riverton.

7 hours ago, Eastwood Jaunty said:

Mike what were you liking the look of on Saturday?

No good asking me, the only time I can give you winners is the next day lol.

Interesting how I say about the Tyler's light on numbers, I see that guy Kennedy has about 16 running today, i wonder if this meeting was at Waikouiti if it would be any different, after all the southern trainers have had a wee break since Riverton.

Waikouaiti sadly let their New Years meeting slip away......in recent years their horse numbers quite sad and it was basically dominated by the Pitman runners who were based there for a while.

More stakes provided now for this meeting at at Wingatui tho unfortunate that it clashes with Wellington Cup carnival.

A good number of South Island horses off to Trentham .

The Southern calendar could do with a tweaking , betting hence stakes probably don't justify any more racedays but a few changes could help.

Kumara keeps the Coast circuit alive ,even tho 30% of the horses were from North Island ...on holiday !

The Coast has next to no horses based there , and the Tasman area a better place to holiday and closer for North Island horses.

Central Otago could also host an extra gallops meeting , and Blenheim have gallops leading into Trentham.Southern horses could move up the Island in build up to Trentham.

Few Southern horses go to Coast circuit....leave the Coast circuit for Harness , 

The unique Kumara meeting does brilliantly , but harness can outdo the results on  other days !

On 1/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, tasman man said:

Waikouaiti sadly let their New Years meeting slip away......in recent years their horse numbers quite sad and it was basically dominated by the Pitman runners who were based there for a while.

More stakes provided now for this meeting at at Wingatui tho unfortunate that it clashes with Wellington Cup carnival.

A good number of South Island horses off to Trentham .

How then with your thought process about Waikouiti clashing with the Wellington carnival does Riccarton run a feature meeting the same day as the Wellington cup, ?

Tyler's have none at Riccarton and  the Andertons just 1, that's a 2 year old by the way

52 minutes ago, mikenz said:

How then with your thought process about Waikouiti clashing with the Wellington carnival does Riccarton run a feature meeting the same day as the Wellington cup, ?

Tyler's have none at Riccarton and  the Andertons just 1, that's a 2 year old by the way

Not really a topic I care too much about , but the treatment of South Island racing and the programmes gets a lot of mentions on here.

Obviously with a big carnival in North Island there will be a meeting somewhere in South , and it unfortunate for connections of horses who have to chose between the good Southern stakes and the Group races in North and not get two bites at the cherry.

But it means there are opportunities at a chance of a nice stake in own region.

For betting it is not a bad thing to be racing on the same day as a meeting which creates a lot of Interest and betting ! Wellington Cup near the top !

For Waikouaiti betting on it's meeting since moved from New Years Day is about double.....yes stakes higher but most NZ meetings probably run at a loss.

Many on here have fond memories of the New Years Day meeting but I went to many and it was a mixed bag ...often small fields , dwindling races , little shelter ,called off if rain came ,pies often cold etc etc.I also familiar with the 'community' as visited often and lived in a cherry farm for while too. Is your cave around there mikenz or you further south ?

So the clash with Wellington carnival good for racing in general.

I'm sure with No Waisake there some wag will point out that the Marlborough Cup has more horses rated over 80 than the famous Wellington Cup ! 

Go Firoden...a year to the day it was a one win horse rated about 57 in North trained with Harness horses at Pukekohe......goes South , competitive in all its races and picks up two more wins and places in the better races ,earns about $60k and now a chance in Wellington Cup.Could cause a great sensation !