RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sorting It

George Simon, what is this all about ?

George Simon you are a great caller. A bloody good bloke. But you do this "blinkers" thing that's driving me ( and probably others)  nuts. Like today. You look down into the birdcage and tell us Royal Performer "has blinkers on today"  Oh ! is this a late gear change  ? , blinkers first time ?  blinkers back on again after racing without  them last start ? Nah.  He's wearing blinkers just as he did in his previous 13 starts. You have done this so many times. Why pick on blinkers? Why not "he has a saddle on today  .. a bridle ....."  But that wouldn't mean anything. Be a bit silly really.

Well JJ, I didn't claim George was perfect, which is what you seem to require. As for " bailing out in close finishes" : Deciding  the winner is not part of his mandate. Other people are paid to do that.  Indeed  there is a many-faceted system for it : a judge, sometimes one more judge's assistants, technicians to maintain the video camera and display screen and the winning post mirror calibration.But surely you know that ; I'm just labouring the point. Personally I find the competition between me and the caller in a close finish a part of the game : Sometimes he wins , sometimes I do. Back in the times of  film photo-finishes there  was often  quite a delay before the judge was delivered a developed paper print from the technician - which allowed time for illegal bookmakers throughout the country to take bets on the result. Again, part of the game. As for your complaint about accuracy you would have to give me more detail before I  would comment on it. So what makes George a great racecaller for me. Let me put it this way : Pavarotti was the near-perfect tenor ; Bocelli is not near his level, but I do enjoy  Bocelli's overall  performance  very much : he's great. I just want George to fix his "blinkers" habit.

3 hours ago, Sorting It said:

As for " bailing out in close finishes" : Deciding  the winner is not part of his mandate.

You cant be serious, most others do notably Ozzies. Mind you Bruce Sherwin is the  best example in NZ and Tom Wood in HKG IMO

3 hours ago, Sorting It said:

I didn't claim George was perfect

I never said you did.

12 minutes ago, Sorting It said:

JJ you keep missing the point. You are boring me now.

No you keep making what i consider to be  incorrect points and i merely challenge you. It happens all the time in discussion forums so don't take it personally

Even a former caller agrees with my original post which you have  failed to address which is entirely your prerogative. Welcome back though , i see your last post on here was 2014.

22 hours ago, Sorting It said:

George Simon you are a great caller. A bloody good bloke. But you do this "blinkers" thing that's driving me ( and probably others)  nuts. Like today. You look down into the birdcage and tell us Royal Performer "has blinkers on today"  Oh ! is this a late gear change  ? , blinkers first time ?  blinkers back on again after racing without  them last start ? Nah.  He's wearing blinkers just as he did in his previous 13 starts. You have done this so many times. Why pick on blinkers? Why not "he has a saddle on today  .. a bridle ....."  But that wouldn't mean anything. Be a bit silly really.

Do you think you maybe making a Mountain out of a Molehill Sorts? It's only an observation and a bridle and a Saddle are pre-requisites where Blinkers as you well know are not . Concentrate on finding winners 

3 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Do you think you maybe making a Mountain out of a Molehill Sorts? It's only an observation and a bridle and a Saddle are pre-requisites where Blinkers as you well know are not . Concentrate on finding winners 

No Gruff. I'm happy with  with what I wrote.

well  ummm,  your not really thought about your  gripe a great deal 

it wears them in most starts but oh   wait  does it say it in the race book it wears them every start 

think about this  a person betting on course suppose have  the  race books for its last 13 starts with him   or her  

if  a punter on course  didn't know what  gear it had on last start  where would it come from  

from George or any other commentator  he's not the only one   that does it  

thanks for the laughs  

12 minutes ago, Sorting It said:

Mr gee, what the hell are you talking about. You make no sense.

not hard to work out,  why george says it.

how many  punters on course   or of course have all the gear changes for last 13 starts  right in front of  them?

10 hours ago, Sorting It said:

JJ I did reply to your first comment. Which of my points are incorrect ?

On 1/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, Sorting It said:

George Simon you are a great caller.

Lets agree to disagree, he may have been at some point in history but not now.

I think you are boring the crowd now

2 hours ago, Sorting It said:

Or rather JJ are you miffed that your attempt to hijack the thread was unsuccessful

I dont think anyone is trying to hijack the thread his opinion is just differing from yours... welcome back to posting lets start the year off nicely shall we...follow our fearless leaders quote" be kind " LOL.

4 hours ago, TurnipOrange said:

I can guarantee the horse has had blinkers on for the last 13 starts!!! 

And how would you know 😛 what happened to its Destiny R.D ? A few were very keen to get on although the inside didn't seem conducive later in the day ,hope alls well 

Oi, you lot, no dissing George.

Way way back in the day when Auckland had a decent Christmas/New Year racing programme - four days at Ellerslie and two nights at Alexandra Park - I fronted to AP before the first race there and had an 'interest' bet on the last of the day's races down at (I think) Rotorua.

That race was telecast on course at AP...

Except that, dunno why, there was no audio link.

George just happened to be in 'our' stand on the AP course and - with nothing much to aid him other than a cursory look at the form guide - gave a near perfect commentary to an enthralled audience.

PS

Happy New Year to all...

30 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

Oi, you lot, no dissing George.

Way way back in the day when Auckland had a decent Christmas/New Year racing programme - four days at Ellerslie and two nights at Alexandra Park - I fronted to AP before the first race there and had an 'interest' bet on the last of the day's races down at (I think) Rotorua.

That race was telecast on course at AP...

Except that, dunno why, there was no audio link.

George just happened to be in 'our' stand on the AP course and - with nothing much to aid him other than a cursory look at the form guide - gave a near perfect commentary to an enthralled audience.

PS

Happy New Year to all...

Yeah but did he go on about the side winkers and Boring poles before the commentary, you better hope Sorty wasn't in attendance 😆