RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cooper

Ellerslie a no show

Just watching the races at Ellerslie today. No one there.  Think there are more people playing golf. Compare that to the meeting at Kumara yesterday, what a great day that looked.  They sure know how to run  a race meeting and correct me if I am wrong but wasnt that one  of the courses on the closing down hit list?  It’s a joke really. 

Yes, back to work for most tomorrow may have had an effect. Great to see Kumara have a good day, they have had had their difficulties in recent years so good on them. Would also have to say that the races at Riverton on New Years day was awesome, good crowd, family and fun atmosphere and dead 5 track. 

18 hours ago, Cooper said:

Just watching the races at Ellerslie today. No one there.  Think there are more people playing golf. Compare that to the meeting at Kumara yesterday, what a great day that looked.  They sure know how to run  a race meeting and correct me if I am wrong but wasnt that one  of the courses on the closing down hit list?  It’s a joke really. 

I went to the movies in Auckland yesterday and there was nobody there, I went to the mall and there was nobody there , I went to the pub and there was nobody there , the reason, Aucklanders are at their holiday locations at the moment . In fact the only ones left are the 20,000 from Otara and they were at Long Bay Beach !!!!

45 minutes ago, Blossom Lady said:

I went to the movies in Auckland yesterday and there was nobody there, I went to the mall and there was nobody there , I went to the pub and there was nobody there , the reason, Aucklanders are at their holiday locations at the moment . In fact the only ones left are the 20,000 from Otara and they were at Long Bay Beach !!!!

Correct......I did the trifecta.....no one in town , then beach which had fewer than usual.....to Ellerslie ,where very warm and the hundreds there all inside as stated , then a Movie @ 5.15 .........bets on Nelson trots checked /watched later in warm evening !

Us Dorklanders can't win......the rest of country ,after laughing at us under house arrest keeping the lid on the Virus for them , most recently pleading at us to travel and spend our $$$$$'s on their so called tourist attractions which we been visiting since we were foetuses !

And many of us have...I knew dozens of folk who ventured south to the West Coat circuit ,Central Otago circuit or just relaxed in Tasman area /Heaphy track etc.

Now we get 'laughed' at again for not attending......giving 6 hours to .....a low key "industry  type " day in searing heat at Ellerslie , soon after 2 x Group days racing over Xmas/New Year and a prelude to the must-attend Karaka night meeting !

There were some very pleased attendees at Ellerslie....owners / trainers winning nice stakes , jockeys booking rides for Karaka night and horses qualifying for big races around corner.

8 races, $370k stakes paid ......club contributed /boosted stakes etc.

No doubt the naysayers will leap in with Industry subsidising stakes ,blah ,blah, blah.......but a lot of hopeful/positive people in industry still ,making the most of what's currently available.

This Virus has been tough but surely not as damaging to one's health as constant negativity and the debilitating green -eyed monster of envy..truly a deadly sin.

Kumara puts on a great day , in context ,but the Annual comparison of Reefton, Waikouaiti etc with Ellerslie ......NZ's only 'International' racecourse really is laughable.

3 hours ago, NextPlease said:

Let's not forget a small crowd at Ellerslie would make Kumara look packed.

Ellerslie is a huge complex, with multiple outdoor and indoor areas. Kumara? Not so much.

Put it in perspective. Us Aucklanders also have a lot more things to do up here.

That’s what they say in Sydney  when no one turns up to their sporting events compared to Melbourne. 

23 minutes ago, Memphis3 said:

That’s what they say in Sydney  when no one turns up to their sporting events compared to Melbourne. 

Hi Memphis,

Are you suggesting Kumara be spoken in the same breathe as Melbourne ! Haha.

Those 2 x cities put on some pretty big sporting events .

I doubt fans of the the Birdsville races which drums up crowds of 6000 in the desert would be bold enough to claim a 'win' over a minor day at Flemington !

Birdsville like Kumara has had the odd year off in recent times !

Have you been to Birdsville Gary? I went in 2003. Couldn’t do it now . Can’t drink the required amount anymore. Races Friday and Saturday. Great way to get rid of money get burnt and get a headache. And lose your licence driving out on Sunday morning. 

Great time tho. In the memory banks. 

10 hours ago, tasman man said:

Correct......I did the trifecta.....no one in town , then beach which had fewer than usual.....to Ellerslie ,where very warm and the hundreds there all inside as stated , then a Movie @ 5.15 .........bets on Nelson trots checked /watched later in warm evening !

Us Dorklanders can't win......the rest of country ,after laughing at us under house arrest keeping the lid on the Virus for them , most recently pleading at us to travel and spend our $$$$$'s on their so called tourist attractions which we been visiting since we were foetuses !

And many of us have...I knew dozens of folk who ventured south to the West Coat circuit ,Central Otago circuit or just relaxed in Tasman area /Heaphy track etc.

Now we get 'laughed' at again for not attending......giving 6 hours to .....a low key "industry  type " day in searing heat at Ellerslie , soon after 2 x Group days racing over Xmas/New Year and a prelude to the must-attend Karaka night meeting !

There were some very pleased attendees at Ellerslie....owners / trainers winning nice stakes , jockeys booking rides for Karaka night and horses qualifying for big races around corner.

8 races, $370k stakes paid ......club contributed /boosted stakes etc.

No doubt the naysayers will leap in with Industry subsidising stakes ,blah ,blah, blah.......but a lot of hopeful/positive people in industry still ,making the most of what's currently available.

This Virus has been tough but surely not as damaging to one's health as constant negativity and the debilitating green -eyed monster of envy..truly a deadly sin.

Kumara puts on a great day , in context ,but the Annual comparison of Reefton, Waikouaiti etc with Ellerslie ......NZ's only 'International' racecourse really is laughable.

May not of been a bumper crowd but had a good vibe and I'm sure those who attended didn't complain,good day.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:21 PM, Cooper said:

Hi Cooper,

I will correct you !

This quite obvious comparison has arisen in past couple of years....and I think you started the thread last year as well ,you old stirrer you.......it wasn't an issue the previous few years as the unique Kumara  day suffered some terrible setbacks thru heavy rain and the local pigs digging up the track in parts ,which not only stopped a day proceding but was a concern throughout another. Plus a bad fall in a race saw a race abandoned and a jockey in hospital. I wondered how the lad fared ?The day wasnt held 2017 ,18 & 20.

You are incorrect stating Kumara was to be closed. 

The 2018 Messara which was around the time of the above setbacks said that the other existing West Coast courses should race at Kumara.....I'd think ,good luck with that as a regular stalwart ranter on here called Reefton always gives the impression that the Coast clubs don't 'care much 'for each other.

He pushes his Reefton day , and unsure if he even attends Kumara ,but pushes his chest out after Kumara because the day is such a huge success......nothing in NZ matches it....the crowd comes from all over ...between 6 and 9,000 people.And betting numbers are pretty good....on course bets would be hardly matched in NZ...only on big feature days and maybe the Wairarapa day on Jan 2.

The West Coast has prime dates over early New Year and Kumara gets the Saturday when betting highest as well....its results for a small country track are exceptional.....overall twice offcourse what Greymouth and Reefton do ,and 3 x times oncourse of those two.  Kurow the week prior considered big....Kumara doubles it on-course and + 50% off.

So the comparison with a 'low key 'Ellerslie meet ,which I think Avondale once held , is somewhat pointless.....but effective for scoring points ! Ellerslie had a miserable crowd , as it does a few times a year !

That meeting would be much better at Thames[closed] or maybe Tauranga [ cricket] ...as the Northern area has about 70% of NZ's horses it justifies the meetings !

The poor old South Island has 25% of NZ's betting so gets less meetings ....about 25 %.

Overall Ellerslie still averages more total betting per day than the Kumara day , as do the other NZ main tracks which hold the Group 1 days.....but no one can match Kumara's day in the sun !

Not even Kumara itself ,which puts the Messara suggestion in doubt.Kumara tried to replicate it in past with 2 x days and when forced to hold the day at Greymouth in 2020 the day nothing like the real thing !

It's unique...if this is your joke have a good laugh !

NZTR support the day ....not with  extra stakes but in extra services ,such as bussing tote staff ,plus accomm from CHch to Nelson/Kumara/Nelson. .Maybe thats the TAB but ,NZTR push the day on social media/website ,there are trainers prizes for the Coast circuit and the Kumara facilities have had nice grants from the Redevelopment fund ...$50k for track etc

Of course Kumara have had to spend between $100 - $300k on doing up track.

Dunno why Ellerslie raced Sunday ,but that obviously helped Kumara and Marton.

So its no joke...if you want a giggle , google the Relicensing application for Booze put in by the club.....the Authority said who ever presented it didnt have a clue ,and it described people spewing etc etc.It noted the club needs to get to grips with alcohol !

Funny how when Ellerslie , Riccarton , Trentham have their big day many say its the young folk just going for the piss up , the food ,the music and the Fashion parades BUT when Kumara does it it's the greatest thing since sliced bread !😀

I also note the guy who is referred to in past  as the clubs head stipe [RIU] is the Club manager .Liked the day so much ,he stayed !