RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Thejanitor

COPY THAT...

OK, here's your chance...

What would you do if you were the owners of Copy That?

1. Treat and rehabilitate with view to return to racing June or July?

2. Retire to stud?

I would opt for #2, I give you the tip. Retire him to stud now. Rehabilitate at stud farm for new season. I think it is too risky to plan a return to racing. The horse will be a year older and I think there are some handy horses coming up, many a lot tougher than Copy That. Also in rated races he will draw bad given his record and will struggle as again he is not tough enough to do it hard. 

Just my thoughts. What would you do?

1 hour ago, Thejanitor said:

1. Treat and rehabilitate with view to return to racing June or July?

Merv Butterworth the owner has already said the injury (a hairline fracture) is only a temporary set-back from a paddock injury.

In his young days Merv helped nurse Cardigan Bay back from a near fatal track accident , which was the right thing as Cardy went on to beat the 'World' afterwards.

Copy That has the world at his feet . being one of the few to beat ALLstars in the Nz Cup for years now. Merv owned the last NZ Cup winner to do that as well in Arden Rooney 6 years ago.

He will be back racing and a huge force that is hard to beat , (whether that be in Aus or NZ) , maybe the BIG money 2022 Brisbane Carnival again like he did so well in July 2021 in 4 starts ?

32 minutes ago, Pure Steel said:

Merv Butterworth the owner has already said the injury (a hairline fracture) is only a temporary set-back from a paddock injury.

In his young days Merv helped nurse Cardigan Bay back from a near fatal track accident , which was the right thing as Cardy went on to beat the 'World' afterwards.

Copy That has the world at his feet . being one of the few to beat ALLstars in the Nz Cup for years now. Merv owned the last NZ Cup winner to do that as well in Arden Rooney 6 years ago.

He will be back racing and a huge force that is hard to beat , (whether that be in Aus or NZ) , maybe the BIG money 2022 Brisbane Carnival again like he did so well in July 2021 in 4 starts ?

Perhaps, I am not convinced. He was gifted this year's Cup with negative driving from many other drivers in race. Gerard O'Reilly was the only driver to have a go. This year's Brisbane Carnival was dominated by Amazing Dream, not Copy That. She is tougher than Copy That and just as brilliant. Her racing days are probably numbered but similar type mares Bettor's Twist and True fantasy I give you the tip. And there's the likes of Krug and Southwind Ardern on the up. I think introducing Cardigan Bay is a red herring because he was a gelding. Would they have made a different decision if the horse was an entire?

18 minutes ago, Thejanitor said:

Perhaps, I am not convinced. He was gifted this year's Cup with negative driving from many other drivers in race. Gerard O'Reilly was the only driver to have a go. This year's Brisbane Carnival was dominated by Amazing Dream, not Copy That. She is tougher than Copy That and just as brilliant. Her racing days are probably numbered but similar type mares Bettor's Twist and True fantasy I give you the tip. And there's the likes of Krug and Southwind Ardern on the up. I think introducing Cardigan Bay is a red herring because he was a gelding. Would they have made a different decision if the horse was an entire?

No problem ... I mentioned Cardigan Bay , because Merv as young stablehand in the 60's in Perth , saw the great horse 'repair 'firsthand . so he knows what it takes to get horses racing again.

Amazing Dream won 2 x Group 1 's in Brisbane in July and has been sold to the American's. One day she might get over there and continue racing is the probability.

Copy That also Won a Group 1 in Brisbane in July , defeating the best Aussie and current dual Miracle Mile winner 'King of Swing 'in a $100,000 sprint. An A +++++ AAA rating for him 

Amazing Dream beat him a Head in the New race The 1/4 mill 'Rising Sun' . Not too shabby. give them both a AAAA +++++++++ rating?.  (Expensive Ego and Krug 3rd and 4th)

There's not many better going around than them. (if any)   

I guess being closest to the horse they know what they're doin.....from Lincoln Farms website

Copy That coping well in confinement but what’s stranded Ray to do for two months?

Barry Lichter

By Barry Lichter • 28 December 2021

Copy That is such a good patient, he’ll handle his confinement better than his trainer, says Lincoln Farms’ Ray Green.

Copy That, lame with a fractured splint bone, has handled the first day of three weeks’ box rest like a pro.

But Green is far more stressed, joining thousands of fellow Kiwis stranded overseas with New Zealand’s borders closed by Covid restrictions.

“It looks like I’m stuck here at least until the end of February, when MIQ changes, unless I can get a spot in the next lottery on January 6.

“But I’m not worried about how the horse will handle it. He’s a cool little guy who is great with vets and farriers. He’s not a difficult horse to deal with and all he has to do now is chill in his box and let nature take its course.”

Green says the injury to Copy That’s off hind leg, suffered when he struck out at a rail in his paddock, will be X-rayed again in three weeks before any decision is made on where he will continue his recovery.

“A blind man could see how lame he is and he’s on medication for pain and inflammation. He’ll probably be out of work for four months, but the good news is it’s not like this is a wear and tear problem or an injury he’s done during a race.

“And the bone, while fractured, is still perfectly aligned so the prognosis for healing is good. I had one horse who had a broken splint which had completely separated.”

Copy That, right, with Simply Sam at Lincoln Farms before his departure for Australia. PHOTO: Trish Dunell.Copy That, right, with Simply Sam at Lincoln Farms before his departure for Australia. PHOTO: Trish Dunell.Green says there was always a risk that a lump could develop if too much calcium was laid down while the bone was knitting.

“But it won’t stop him from being a racehorse. This is just a horrible inconvenience.”

X-rays revealed the hairline fracture to be roughly in the middle of the splint bone, just under his hock.

“If it had been in the bottom third you could have taken it out and that would be that, but this is a bit too high to do that.”

Green says there was no way to predict how quickly the fracture would heal but owner Merv Butterworth was keen to send the horse to Ballarat when he can travel to be looked after by a woman who had successfully convalesced a number of other horses for him.

“Merv might want to leave him here for a while - we won’t be taking any chances with the horse. Obviously there’s no chance he’ll race for the rest of the season (the next seven months). He can’t have just a few weeks off and go back into work.

“Merv has been loyal to us - and we’ve done a good job for him - so hopefully he’ll come back to Lincoln Farms to fully recover.”

Green says while the summer campaign in Victoria had quickly gone pear shaped, they just had to “cop it on the chin and move on.

“We’ve had a good run with the horse - until now he’s never taken a lame step or had any other soundness issues - and, who knows, it might be a blessing in disguise.

“He might come back better than ever. Those top races he’ll miss like the Auckland Cup (in May) will still be there the next year, it’s not like they’re a oncer like the derby.”

Copy That’s career record stands at 24 wins from 46 starts for $965,797 in stakes, all but two of those wins for Merv and Meg Butterworth.

Cheers Iraklis

20 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Janitor mate, all horses in this years Cup field had their chance to run the CopyT down, he was out front and sittin duck for all of them turnin in, to the little fellas credit he just had too many guns, hardly a gift he won it fair and square.....  😀

Cheers Iraklis

Now come on mate you are being a bit mischievous. I know you are trying to rile old Janitor. You know as well as  that if a horse is given an easy lead and then he/she sprints home in 54-55 nothing can beat it from back in the field. That is what happened in the Cup. Copy That is a good horse but he was gifted the race. 

A perfect example of the phenomenon is the win of Laver at Ashburton Cup meeting last week, I give you the tip. Gerard had him in front quick, he reeled off 3200m at 4min pace, toss in a last half 54sec and no one could get near him. The cup was the same.

Janitor, not tryin to rile yuh, just statin a fact; and I say again all of those horses had their chance to gun CopyT down at any stage during the race, all of em including yuh fav Laver, they weren't able to do so....it's done and dusted, pointless tryin to take away from the horse now, for whatevea reason, tiz history

Cheers Iraklis