RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Madame Mow-ette

Ran second, race 3 at Matamata. I know Trackside guys are not too hot on pronunciation but Brendan Popplewell, have you been living under a rock?

I bet your liquor store mates laugh when you order your Christmas tipple.

13 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Eclipsed I am not a linguist but note that the surname. Moet has two dots above the e whereas the drink doesn't hence the different pronunciation.

Its always Mow-ett and will never be Mow-aye. That is completely incorrect.

the drink is one and the same, so always MOW-ETT - the T is not silent

Well, I guess I have to eat 'umble poy on this one. Noted Sweens  not sure how to say Cote de Beaune the other day. Thought he should brush up on his "pronounciation". Used to be pronunciation in my day. Probably shouldn't be so pedantic but then names are given for a purpose.

Speaking of pronunciation, or lack thereof, whatever happened to Richard Bromley - butcher of the English (and almost every other) language?

Disappeared with Radio Trackside? 

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

11 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

It should be how it’s pronounced wherever the name/word comes from…not having it butchered just because some owner wants it pronounced a different way, makes an ass of the language 

You’re correct about Moet but my view is that you’re incorrect about pronunciation at source …. you say garage…. I say gar-arje 

English is a language that morphs all the time and numerous words change their pronunciation as we absorb them into everyday use, and of course the opposite applies with te reo…….anyone going racing at Tower- Po any time soon, or shall we say Toe-Paw ….I’m in the latter camp 

Sometimes we’re a bit too pedantic ….a word is what you mean it to be …..nothing more, nothing less 

10 hours ago, Kloppite said:

Speaking of pronunciation, or lack thereof, whatever happened to Richard Bromley - butcher of the English (and almost every other) language?

Disappeared with Radio Trackside? 

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

Richard is a top man - passionate about racing and has done a lot in many roles in the industry. As have his family.

Still - it it makes you feel better celebrating someone losing their job ....

6 hours ago, poundforpound said:

You’re correct about Moet but my view is that you’re incorrect about pronunciation at source …. you say garage…. I say gar-arje 

English is a language that morphs all the time and numerous words change their pronunciation as we absorb them into everyday use, and of course the opposite applies with te reo…….anyone going racing at Tower- Po any time soon, or shall we say Toe-Paw ….I’m in the latter camp 

Sometimes we’re a bit too pedantic ….a word is what you mean it to be …..nothing more, nothing less 

Get rid of the melri....or is it meowri......maybe mowlri crap and get back to English please.