RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Auckland fields

This week 99 noms which is about as good as it gets in the North with 84 acceptors for ten races but with some odd (imo) handicapping. This week there is a mobile and a standing trot rating 40-69 and 40 to 60. Would it not be more even to run a 40-50 with 10 starters and a 51-69 with nine starters for a better balance. In the mobile an R40 horse is running against an R60 (4 win) horse off the same marks. Given that trotting numbers have increased markedly in recent times, I note plenty of opportunities for 2 & 3yo pacers running separately for males and females but virtually nothing like the same for trotters. While current 2yolds are essentially 3yolds there are a lot more around at this time of the year compared to the Sires Stakes races and Jewels of May/June. Lack of number is the excuse but all programmes are tentative so why can't such races at least be in the mix. Granted, Auckland did run a 2yo trot a month ago with 7 starters though reduced from 8 with a late scratching but this week, for example, there are three x 6 horse fields - all pacing races - and every meeting Auckland has races of 5/6/7 starters going back as far as you like. There is no doubt the industry is ailing and though it still has a hard core of enthusiasts willing to put their hard-earned into horseflesh, even the most ardent will turn to something else if their horses are not catered for on a regular basis. 

Rob - at times you get too logical.     Auckland's main aim is to get as many fields as possible so they get more in bulk funding.    A quick look at their annual balance sheet this year will show you how successful this has been.     Surely (well to me) bigger fields encourage more money from the punter and attendance on course (especially with summer nights)    I know it is not  always possible effectively to get large fields but at times they run e.g. a field of 6 (f & m say) and a field of 7 (c & g) where 1 race of 13 would be better for the punter and spectaclewise.   To me anyway, an evening of 7 good races is preferable to 10 races of 7"s & 8"s - but then who am I to know??

Because of Auckland's covid restrictions, I did not observe all areas tonight, but myself (and many friends) reckon that attendance would be the worst within memory.       I was on the ground floor b.t.w.     

35 minutes ago, eljay said:

Because of Auckland's covid restrictions, I did not observe all areas tonight, but myself (and many friends) reckon that attendance would be the worst within memory.       I was on the ground floor b.t.w.     

Probably correct there eljay.....first level was fairly sparse as well.

Also probably the lowest number of horses ever for 10 x races....lucky there were a few tourists from South Island !

Bleak all round !

This AGM could, or rather must, be a cornerstone to the future of Northern harness otherwise it may not have a future, certainly not at AP. It is now a commercial precinct and though development was instigated to co-exist with and even enhance the spectacle of harness racing things have gone way beyond that to where racing needs to be  managed as a separate entity. Just as the famed Ellerslie Hill is now assigned to history, so Alexandra Park will always feature in the annals of harness racing but the business itself needs a complete overhaul on a stand alone basis if it is to survive. Sooner rather than later.