RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
uneasy

In my opinion(for what it’s worth)

What happened today for a premier day is a joke...it seems strange the same experts that were supposed to fix tracks seem to have Donald ducked a few of them.

Heads should roll but they won't..just play on no matter all the people who lose money the poor owners the people who had corporate functions there on the day...they will never be back, just an absolute joke.

On a more positive note, we were probably lucky it was a Saturday meeting. At least there wouldn't have been any NZTR management or board members there, or anyone from whatever RITA is now called. I doubt they work Saturdays, so at least they didn't waste any of their valuable time.

My impeccable sources tell me that one of our most senior jockeys, his name rhymes with Thief, inspected the track pre races and advised the head stipe there were serious issues that could jeopardise jockey safety… but the head stipe decided he knew better and that he’d use the jockeys as crash test dummies 

Sadly our stipes and judiciary are looking more like a third world shambles every day 

Wow😮 I could not believe my ears when I tuned into watch race 2 from Trentham and learnt of the abandonment - How many times have we been down this track and nothing has changed..... I'm a 10 percent owner in two gallopers and seriously considering whether I'd go again in NZ 🤔

A 5 or 10 percent share in a Go Racing UK import to race in Australia looking more and more attractive with muck ups like this. 

Really feel for the owners who didn't get a run today at Trentham.... Shafted again🙄

14 hours ago, poundforpound said:

My impeccable sources tell me that one of our most senior jockeys, his name rhymes with Thief, inspected the track pre races and advised the head stipe there were serious issues that could jeopardise jockey safety… but the head stipe decided he knew better and that he’d use the jockeys as crash test dummies 

Sadly our stipes and judiciary are looking more like a third world shambles every day 

An inspection the night before identified the same issues. But if you don't invest a cent in track infrastructure for 3 decades you get what you paid for.

56 minutes ago, Leggy said:

An inspection the night before identified the same issues. But if you don't invest a cent in track infrastructure for 3 decades you get what you paid for.

There is no point continually comparing us with Australia, and they don't always get it right either, but the contrast with Eagle Farm is interesting. They have closed that track down twice now for rebuilds, neither of which have worked, and a third closure is in the offing. To be totally honest, no one would really notice if they shut Trentham down for a couple of years to totally upgrade it. They only really have Cup Day when anyone goes and that could be moved to Awapuni - which is also a suspect track, but that is another story.

The alternative of course would be to close Trentham for good, sell off the land and rebuild elsewhere. That may well be more cost effective.

15 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Your impeccable sources are correct. One of my impeccable sources walked part of the track Race morning and was horrified at the state of the track '1 & 2 off' the rail - and that was before much rainfall. As Leggy points out the underfunding and understaffing of track maintenance is home to roost.

Now here is something else for the WRC to think about -

with the sale and developement into tight knit housing of the research land that was once grass paddocks covering many acres behind the racecourse you will have to rethink your irrigation stratergies. Those paddocks would have soaked up rainfall in the past and had the water table underground at a certain level - (we know about Trentham mud in wet winters). Now that rain falls on roads and house roofs where it all goes into stormwater pipes and is channeled away from that area hence the water table will be a lot lower than in the past and more water will nedd to be applied and more importantly more often to keep the water table where it was and the course at a safe rating. But what would I know about soil and moistue I am just a farmer.

8 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

The alternative of course would be to close Trentham for good, sell off the land and rebuild elsewhere. That may well be more cost effective.

Probably would not get much for what is left because demolition costs and disposal costs of the stands would be prohibitive.

45 minutes ago, Contentious said:

Probably would not get much for what is left because demolition costs and disposal costs of the stands would be prohibitive.

That might be what is stopping them getting rid of the Riccarton stand. Although you would think we have massive demolition expertise in NZ these days, largely in ChCh, but also in Wgtn.

On late Friday afternoon the danger signs were there.  This was to be, a premier day, not an industry day.  Get the tractors fuelled up and the gear on to aerate the soil, throughout the night, with two shifts, so that it is all okay by 10 a.m., Saturday.  And have somebody there to feed and hydrate the tractor drivers.  An Industry day would not be worth that expense.  I have read somewhere that there were several corporate functions arranged for the day.  This sort of shambles makes the industry we love look like a shambles.  That is a pity because if those corporate functions are handled rightly all the participants will have had a great day out, with a punt on the horses, good grog, nice tucker and delightful cleavages to feast the eyes on.  Then sponsorship will be forthcoming from those people in the future.

By their actions the Welliington Racing Club have sodomised themselves.

15 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

On late Friday afternoon the danger signs were there.  This was to be, a premier day, not an industry day.  Get the tractors fuelled up and the gear on to aerate the soil, throughout the night, with two shifts, so that it is all okay by 10 a.m., Saturday.  And have somebody there to feed and hydrate the tractor drivers.  An Industry day would not be worth that expense.  I have read somewhere that there were several corporate functions arranged for the day.  This sort of shambles makes the industry we love look like a shambles.  That is a pity because if those corporate functions are handled rightly all the participants will have had a great day out, with a punt on the horses, good grog, nice tucker and delightful cleavages to feast the eyes on.  Then sponsorship will be forthcoming from those people in the future.

By their actions the Welliington Racing Club have sodomised themselves.

Exactly there were many corporate functions there for the day...what chance do you think there will be now of EVER getting them back...ZERO...and why would you both after having your xmas function screwed by a mob of muppets.

5 December 2021
INVESTIGATION LAUNCHED INTO TRENTHAM ABANDONMENT
NZTR has implemented an investigation into the circumstances which resulted in the abandonment of the Wellington Racing Club’s Group One meeting on Saturday.
“NZ Sports Turf Institute (NZSTI) will commence a track review tomorrow morning, inspecting both the track and the data and reports from the Racing and Track managers,’’ NZTR CEO Bernard Saundry said.
“We have also requested a full report from the Racing Integrity Board (RIB) regarding the procedures leading up to and following the first race on Saturday,” he said.
RACE and Wellington Racing Club are extremely disappointed in what transpired yesterday at Trentham with the meeting abandoned after the running of the first race.
“We understand the consequences and outcomes due to the abandonment which affect not only RACE but the entire industry - through to sponsors, patrons, owners, trainers, jockeys, stablehands, officials and punters - and of course the programming of horses and their races at this important time of year,” RACE Chairman Paul Humphries said.
“As an organisation we need to do better, work with our team, staff, NZTR and industry on process, infrastructure and investment to remove risk where possible to ensure this won’t happen in the future,” he said.
NZTR is mindful of the fact that the abandonment has impacted the programme of a number of horses and that owners have been impacted financially. Those horses in the abandoned races will be eligible for compensation in line with NZTR’s policy.
Once NZTR has reviewed feedback from NZSTI, a full report from RACE, and the Racing Integrity Board, a further statement will be made outlining the findings.
[ENDS]

NZTR were on course for their Christmas party I heard, so they will have seen first hand it unfold.

I do wonder if we spent less on media promoting animal welfare and more maintaining tracks then this might serve animal welfare and more importantly human welfare (jockeys) better.

“As an organisation we need to do better, work with our team, staff, NZTR and industry on process, infrastructure and investment to remove risk where possible to ensure this won’t happen in the future,” he said = the first cliche any woke administration appointee is taught these days.

Wow !

Reading all the expert opinions on here and demanding 'heads roll ' has me wondering who do we blame for these ongoing shambolic incidents.

Here and elsewhere a number of individuals and committees are apportioned the blame.

IMO Trentham has been a shambles for 20 years or more ...a couple of my best neddies have been badly affected by either a rough hard surface or a poorly overwatered shambles.

This ain't new....Winnie got sick of the excuses so looked to Messara for an outsiders opinion.

Two of Messaras strong recommendations were to close tracks  [rationalisation] ,which had been a strong wish as far back as 1970 .......he found our tracks facilities ,courses and buildings were well below an average acceptable level.

He commented there was NOT a single track of high quality racing surface.

He recommended that all attention be given to the remaining 28  courses ,all of whom needed a race course surce reconstuction.

Of course we know many Racing folks reaction to his report........'the dynamics of a previous era'..........Our club or track isnt too bad , close others if any !

Us in NZ racing have ourselves to blame ...no one else...thankfully Ellerslie/Pukekohe are doing something about it.

My other question from Saturday is why the Senior jockey who reportedly claimed the track unsafe , DIDN'T withdraw his services for the day ?

10 minutes ago, tasman man said:

Wow !

Reading all the expert opinions on here and demanding 'heads roll ' has me wondering who do we blame for these ongoing shambolic incidents.

Here and elsewhere a number of individuals and committees are apportioned the blame.

IMO Trentham has been a shambles for 20 years or more ...a couple of my best neddies have been badly affected by either a rough hard surface or a poorly overwatered shambles.

This ain't new....Winnie got sick of the excuses so looked to Messara for an outsiders opinion.

Two of Messaras strong recommendations were to close tracks  [rationalisation] ,which had been a strong wish as far back as 1970 .......he found our tracks facilities ,courses and buildings were well below an average acceptable level.

He commented there was NOT a single track of high quality racing surface.

He recommended that all attention be given to the remaining 28  courses ,all of whom needed a race course surce reconstuction.

Of course we know many Racing folks reaction to his report........'the dynamics of a previous era'..........Our club or track isnt too bad , close others if any !

Us in NZ racing have ourselves to blame ...no one else...thankfully Ellerslie/Pukekohe are doing something about it.

My other question from Saturday is why the Senior jockey who reportedly claimed the track unsafe , DIDN'T withdraw his services for the day ?

He had to ride … when you’re a jockey there’s huge pressure to deliver… but check how he rode it…he knew it was a “minefield/skating rink” and he rode accordingly