RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

Karaka Yearling sale 2022

Well it's a bit late to respond to this thread Nerula. But with Karaka kicking off tomorrow smack bang in the middle of the peak of the Omicron wave, you could argue the guesswork on the date hasn't quite come off. Don't think anyone can be blamed, predicting the government's moves has been harder than predicting the outbreak itself. And at least some restrictions have lifted since January.

We ought to still see a reasonable YoY increase in revenue, just probably not as much as the Aussie sales have increased YoY.

The extra months did give me a chance for a deep dive on the catalogue. Comments:

- Again there's a noticeable lack of progeny of Group 1 winning mares (we seem to be selling them all overseas). But I've never really felt the expense of a G1-mares offspring justifies the price.

- Purely on paper my pick to be the Top lot would be the Fastnet Rock/Galileo filly Curraghmore have found at #410. Not only one of world's best nicks but a full to Gr.1 Australian Oaks winner Unforgotten. If the looks stack up watch the seven figures.

- Feels like Book 2 isn't as noticeably different to Book 1 as I can remember in the past.

- So much again reliant on Savabeel. I suspect the Aussies may finally latch onto Per Incanto this year based on Magic Millions. In my 1st XI dreamer's Powerball wishlist I've nabbed 5 x Savabeels, 4 x Per Incantos, an Ocean Park and a Tavistock. Mo'unga's brother at #161 being the most expensive of them.

- As for new season Kiwi sires I wonder if Ace High may beat US Navy Flag to the top average, but I really like how the breeders have matched off the Embellishes. He could be the bargain stallion that delivers in a few years.

- Of international stallions, the hype is all around Justfiy, but I'd give the nod to the Saxon Warriors in this catalogue. With Maurice and Mikki Isle starting to put in impressive strike rates half way through their 2nd seasons in Oz, we need some good Japanese lines here.

I suspected the same thing, but I wonder if the YoY comparison is throwing us when there were less lots last year which made for a higher clearance rate.

I thought I'd run a quick graph to see if the Aussies or Hong Kong buyers had dropped, but it's not too dissimilar. Maybe a bit of tapering off from Victoria compared to 2020:

Buyer origin - Karaka Yearling

image.png.e11d4ac2b4f27d4e3d6b3761886853ed.png 

One of the fairytale stories of the sale occurred today. A Tavaci x Short Tale filly sold for $250,000. The vendor bought the mare, in foal to Tavaci for $1300 on Gavelhouse. ( The vendor on Gavelhouse was Paul Moroney ).  He still has the mare and it is in foal to Embellish.

2 hours ago, Breeder said:

One of the fairytale stories of the sale occurred today. A Tavaci x Short Tale filly sold for $250,000. The vendor bought the mare, in foal to Tavaci for $1300 on Gavelhouse. ( The vendor on Gavelhouse was Paul Moroney ).  He still has the mare and it is in foal to Embellish.

Out of a Pins mare.I have noticed the OReilly and Pins mares are leaving good horses for Australian racing, and by a number of different sires.