RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Motukarara , What a Shambles

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Race abandoned, starts just plain horrible and a horse wins after recent Methven disq. If you followed Dunn stable you got burnt big time with their 2 hotpots running midfield. 

Can you explain why race abandoned ?

I only watched one race , then at night checked the result for dividends etc and noticed the horse I interested  in got promoted from third to second !

Didn't notice much in race ...maybe wrong start position or inside markers if there are markers.

i guess I could check the Stewards report ...if posted !

But grass racing is, in the main , for the slugs and plodders....grass tends to be a great leveller.

Obviously from comments online , followers love the day out ,the bigger fields and the greater uncertainty that the unexpected may happen.

Some claim its  more exciting than the main grit tracks but you see less horse as the horses are  a mile away before ,during and after the race !

I guess its the country air, the picnic feeling and an excuse to skip Church which gives the feelgood factor....betting on the SUNDAY grass tracks only matched or beaten by Cup days or the combined  North/ South Friday night harness slot !

Didn't see the race. Here is how the stipes saw it;

Race 7   PAUL RENWICK JOINERY (JUNIOR DRIVERS) MOBILE PACE  
DENNIS DENUTO - raced wide early stages.
FRANKIE JONES - raced wide early stages.
CALYPSO ROCK - raced wide early stages.
SKIDADDLE and DENNIS DENUTO locked wheels near the 1400 metres resulting in driver B Hope (SKIDADDLE) being dislodged from his sulky with SKIDADDLE escaping driverless with a number of runners being checked to varying degrees. Due to the driverless horse disorganising the field and with safety concerns for all other horses and drivers, Stewards stopped the race in accordance with Rule 211A(1). However due to the horses having raced more than 1000 metres without being able to be stopped Stewards determined the race be abandoned. Driver B Hope was examined by St John Paramedics and was cleared to fulfill his remaining driving engagements. Stewards were unable to apportion blame to any one horse or driver in relation to SKIDADDLE and DENNIS DENUTO locking wheels and took the matter no further.

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Race abandoned, starts just plain horrible and a horse wins after recent Methven disq. If you followed Dunn stable you got burnt big time with their 2 hotpots running midfield. 

I don't bet at Motukarara. Terrible track, diabolical crossing and poor fields. Punters' graveyard.

I might add Timaru on Saturday not much better from the races i saw.

Pretty sure that Tabcorp did not even run any  markets on them . Yet the guru's at HRNZ are wanting to encourage more export income. Saturday afternoon racing from NZ is certainly not the answer as they have scores of local content to provide markets for and cover on TV

3 hours ago, tasman man said:

I only watched one race , then at night checked the result for dividends etc and noticed the horse I interested  in got promoted from third to second !

KENNEDY - held up early stages of the run home. Stewards lodged a protest against 2nd placing being awarded to the gelding alleging the horse gained an advantage by improving its position in the passing lane in the early stages. After viewing the replays and hearing evidence from Stewards, Mr DeFilippi and co-owner P Cook, the Adjudicative Committee upheld the Protest and disqualified KENNEDY from 2nd placing. Driver C DeFilippi defended an associated charge alleging he had driven improperly in the early stages by improving his position in the passing lane. After viewing the replays and hearing the evidence from Stewards and Mr DeFilippi, the Adjudicative Committee upheld the charge and suspended Mr DeFilippi's drivers licence from the conclusion of racing today up to and including 8th December 2021 (6 days)

2 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

I don't bet at Motukarara. Terrible track, diabolical crossing and poor fields. Punters' graveyard.

Probably correct.......but the fact remains that grass track meetings on a Sunday are preferred by many participants ,especially of the slower battling type of horse AND the overall punter/enthusiast who seems to have more time to spare and bet on a Sunday.

Also more export betting which doesn't always happen on a Saturday .

Plus Motukarara hosts one of the the best attended meetings of the year between Xmas and New Year. 

1 hour ago, MAJESTIC said:

Not this year. Doesn't Covid stuff that !!!!

I guess it will depend on the rules which come with the 'Traffic Light' living conditions.

Travel between regions being lifted between December 15 and January 17 at this stage ,and I assume folk will be crowding holiday spots ,music festivals etc [ if you are double jabbed !!! ]

As its outdoor entertainment I presume racing will be allowed to operate with on-course patrons , at least over that period and/or until the rules change again .

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I might add Timaru on Saturday not much better from the races i saw.

Pretty sure that Tabcorp did not even run any  markets on them . Yet the guru's at HRNZ are wanting to encourage more export income. Saturday afternoon racing from NZ is certainly not the answer as they have scores of local content to provide markets for and cover on TV

I backed Buckskin so very happy with Phar Lap Raceway. 

Anything better than they have left us with in the North.     No picnic days, no family days, just all weather tracks where 3/4 of the track is obliterated by hoardings, big screens etc.       Met most of my harness friends/acquaintances through the grass track daytime meetings.

11 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

What are your requirements re. Poor fields ?

Every horse starts out as a maiden and you never really know where they end up and when things click in their minds. Surveys says only approx. 5% make money which means about 8 to 10 of them are any good really. Just enough to make up one race. Don't think harness racing would survive on 1  race a day. Let's be enthusiastic about harness racing at grassroots.

7 hours ago, 2Piper said:

Didnt see the race, at what stage was it abandoned ? 

Just my take on it, but I don't think it was abandoned until after the race was over. Terrible look and all drivers should have been fined. Unless you are told the race is abandoned the drivers should have continued. Yes it was junior drivers and most didn't know what they should be doing. some were pulling up and some were continuing. It isn't the drivers call to decide wether or not the race should continue. Felt sorry for the connections of the winner having to come all the way from southland to face that abortion of a race.

The race wasn't abandoned or stopped.  Most of the drivers continued to race and did so to the line - only the commentator seemed to think the race was called off .... the clerk of the course didn't try to stop it - the stipes called it a "no race" after the event.  Like the title of this thread said, it was a shambles.