RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
nike

occidental Tourist

We had a share in the stallion and this is the first we have heard that he has died.

I am not surprised as we were informed that Paxton Park was no longer standing him this season and were asked for suggestions to relocate him, and guess what? Before we even received this letter from Paxton Park he had already been whisked any to some obscure nobody in Canterbury. When I protested about this occurance and tried to make some constructive suggestions I was shot down in flames by another shareholder and told I was doing nothing to promote the horse in Christchurch. I pointed out there was no way I was prepared to send a mare to a stud that I knew nothing about and when I did ring Shannone Murphy and left a message for her to contact me so I could arrange a time to visit her property - I am still awaiting a reply.

I have a lovely strong OT yearling gelding.

Just for interest can anyone advise on his total stars ie: runners/winners etc. I did not ever see him in the flesh but my boy looks the 'spit' of dad and have a great temperament. Sad if the shareholders were not kept fully informed of ALL business decisions regarding their investment

Don we are not stupid -of course we had a contract.

He was originally syndicated through Jo & Ross Mackie from Java Lodge, and everything was great and very professionally managed by them. Unfortunately when the EI hit Australia it caused Java to loose a heap of money because they were unable to stand Jenno Rob Roy, so they sold up.

Otis was taken on by Paxton Park, but with it being his 4th season they didn't get enough mares and decided not to stand him this season.

Some North Island share holders pushed the panic button and unfortunately it has led to his demise.

He was the loveliest natured stallion, and the first foal we bred by him, Mammas Love, scored her 4th win in Singapore last night. We have her full sister, Satisfaction and she ran a gutsy 5th at her first start at Timaru on Thursday. We also have a 3 yr old filly out of a 1/2 sister to Mammas Love which we would like to lease out, and we have a big, strong yearling colt brother to Mammas Love in the paddock.

That is why I am so annoyed that a North Island shareholder organised his transfer to Ch Ch without any consultation with us and then had the bloody check to say we weren't promoting Occidental Tourist.

We have 80 acres and may as well have had him at our place, at least he would have been fed and looked after. :(

WOW how dare you come on here and stirr up trouble!!

The Horse was a mess when he arrived from Paxton Park, I know I had seen him with another studmaster and you can ask the float driver, Shannon has tried her best with the aid of vets to bring him back to his normal self. and she has spent alot of money over $8000 to do this unfortunately the damage had been done,.you will be made to eat your words when the autopsy is published, along with vet reports, two independent vet practises as well. You couldn`t even contact Shannon and offer condolences,geez!! It was up to the share holders to announce his death not hers.

Shannon had more than 40 bookings to OT and it was share holders mares that she had served first leaving her own mares until everyone else had been looked after. She has lost out big time and is still a mess over his death wondering if there was anything else that could have been done. The autopsy was also video for all to see. How dare you put the blame onto Shannone when you did nothing to go visit him or answer her emails inviting you to visit him when he was still alive!

Firstly I rang your wonder woman heaps of times - never in. Got some one else once and asked her to get wonder woman to ring me - still waiting.

Left message on answer phone - still no reply.

Twice we tried to find the property, no one knew where she lived.

Asked a vet clinic in area and was told to steer clear of her and hoped we weren't getting involved financially, and that they didn't know where wonder woman had shifted to and didn't want to know.

Obviously you are living in a wee dream world.

Have you bred a winner by Occidental Tourist yet? :D

Getting winners on the track is the most important way of getting a stallion recognised, but then you wouldn't understand that would you.

I dont know who you think you are talking to but Im not the person you think it is Pam. You are coming aross as a mad woman. Why dont you just keep your slanderous mouth shut and wait for the autopsy. If you would like to contact Jim Mcphee who preformed the autopsy or Canterbury Equine who treated Otis for several weeks, Im sure they would be happy to discuss Otis and his care with you.

Others financial situations is none of your business and your have no right publishing comments made by a recieptionist at a vet clinic, since when has Rolleston vets been a horse vet? you will find that not a lot of equine owners use them.

Can't comment about the unfortunate stallion, nor the standard of care he may/may not have received.

However, I have had occasion to deal with Ms Murphy over another matter, and communication is definitely not in her vocabulary.

When finally making contact, I got a spiel about loss of cellphone and therefore phone numbers, however my email was still available and that was how I finally got in touch. So, yes, Pam, I fully understand your frustration.

As an aside, how can one syndicate member have the authority to organise anything?

Surely a shareholders meeting would be the least that would be required to decide the future of their asset?

Pam , sounds like a sorry saga with OT. I had a look through the Our Aimee family. A speedy family with a bit of Sir T for stamina, and Minstrel Court comes to mind as a possible suitor, and hey, close to home. The Honour Grades mare from OA is a nice match on paper though not sure where she is now.

Well I communicated via email with Shannone regarding a friends mares that were at her stud. She has been extremely helpful & owner did not have any problems with them at all being returned in good order after the OT died.

I have a couple of OT's progeny & think that they are lovely horses with fantastic temperaments & have had the privilage of viewing a couple owned by others that ok are going to take time to mature, like one of mine but one in particular was absolutely stunning.

I thought it was best to point out to anyone interested in the Occidental Tourist saga, that this stallion arrived in Christchurch on the 5th of May. At the time Shannone Murphy had advertised on the Race Cafe for a couple of well bred Tb mares for the coming season. I answered her advert totally unaware that Otis had been sent to Ch Ch, and I was absolutely gobsmacked when see replied to my email and said she wanted a couple of nice mares to go to her new stallion Occidental Tourist.

On the 2nd of May, Gary and I had received a letter from Mr Smit advising that Paxton Park were no longer prepared to stand Otis and we (the shareholders)had 2 weeks to find another stud to stand him.

Three days after we got our letter he arrived at Shannones property, so we had no opportunity to have a say in his relocation.

Luckily Fastas, this" mad woman" as you call me, has still got copies of the emails between myself and Henk Smit and Shannone which were way back beginning of May.

If Occidental Tourist was unwell when he arrived from Paxton Park way back in May, why on earth did Ms Murphy accept bookings to the stallion and why didn't she say so when I told her I was a share holder?

As soon as I said I was not happy with the situation she completely ignored my calls and I was unable to find out any more information.

Shannone had Otis 6 months before he died, blaming the previous stud is absolute nonsense.

lotsofggs are you for real :D

For gods sake open your eyes and read my postings properly.

I know some people have selective hearing but selective eyesight is a new one on me. :confused:

When I said I couldn't get hold of her and she wouldn't return my calls, I was using a TELEPHONE not a carrier pidgeon. :tcheek:

WOW how dare you come on here and stirr up trouble!!

The Horse was a mess when he arrived from Paxton Park, I know I had seen him with another studmaster and you can ask the float driver, Shannon has tried her best with the aid of vets to bring him back to his normal self. and she has spent alot of money over $8000 to do this unfortunately the damage had been done,.you will be made to eat your words when the autopsy is published, along with vet reports, two independent vet practises as well. You couldn`t even contact Shannon and offer condolences,geez!! It was up to the share holders to announce his death not hers.

Shannon had more than 40 bookings to OT and it was share holders mares that she had served first leaving her own mares until everyone else had been looked after. She has lost out big time and is still a mess over his death wondering if there was anything else that could have been done. The autopsy was also video for all to see. How dare you put the blame onto Shannone when you did nothing to go visit him or answer her emails inviting you to visit him when he was still alive!

It is my understanding also, that the horse was in questionable condition and health upon arrival in the south island. This is very unfortunate for all the shareholdersas the OT's I have seen have been nice animals.

I thought it was best to point out to anyone interested in the Occidental Tourist saga, that this stallion arrived in Christchurch on the 5th of May. At the time Shannone Murphy had advertised on the Race Cafe for a couple of well bred Tb mares for the coming season. I answered her advert totally unaware that Otis had been sent to Ch Ch, and I was absolutely gobsmacked when see replied to my email and said she wanted a couple of nice mares to go to her new stallion Occidental Tourist.

On the 2nd of May, Gary and I had received a letter from Mr Smit advising that Paxton Park were no longer prepared to stand Otis and we (the shareholders)had 2 weeks to find another stud to stand him.

Three days after we got our letter he arrived at Shannones property, so we had no opportunity to have a say in his relocation.

Luckily Fastas, this" mad woman" as you call me, has still got copies of the emails between myself and Henk Smit and Shannone which were way back beginning of May.

If Occidental Tourist was unwell when he arrived from Paxton Park way back in May, why on earth did Ms Murphy accept bookings to the stallion and why didn't she say so when I told her I was a share holder?

As soon as I said I was not happy with the situation she completely ignored my calls and I was unable to find out any more information.

Shannone had Otis 6 months before he died, blaming the previous stud is absolute nonsense.

I really believe that opposed to ASSUMING, you should take a step back. Firstly on the basis that damage can be done over a prolonged period of time and there is every liklihood 'in general' that something can manifest at it's worst at a later date. I would suggest on the limited information I have heard 'from a caring source that I 'believe' to be reliable and honest...that jumping to conclusions is not a good idea. But that maybe...communication of all parties on an unbias level, should be invited.

Once words escape they cannot be recalled!

I really believe that opposed to ASSUMING, you should take a step back. Firstly on the basis that damage can be done over a prolonged period of time and there is every liklihood 'in general' that something can manifest at it's worst at a later date. I would suggest on the limited information I have heard 'from a caring source that I 'believe' to be reliable and honest...that jumping to conclusions is not a good idea. But that maybe...communication of all parties on an unbias level, should be invited.

Once words escape they cannot be recalled!

i think what pam is trying to get at is it sounds like as a shareholder she was not told what condition and health probs

ot had and thats very dissapointing