RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

Cup Day Trivia Quiz for those with memories.......

Question...

1 ) What trainer OR driver involved in NZ cup race tomorrow ,was the first person to be involved in either role back in the day ?

2) What trainer OR driver involved in either role on Cup Day tomorrow was the first person involved in the NZ Cup race back in the day ?

3 ) What horse , had you backed it back in the day , returned a dividend for 5 x years in NZ Trotting Cup ,including 4 x win dividends ? (Trainer Jeremy Young asked me this !)

1. I would think it would be a toss up between Colin DeFilippi or Barry Purdon ( however Brent Mangos is listed as the trainer of South Coast Arden) Robert Dunn would not be far behind them.

3. Indianapolis ( sp ) 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:44 AM, 2Piper said:

1. I would think it would be a toss up between Colin DeFilippi or Barry Purdon ( however Brent Mangos is listed as the trainer of South Coast Arden) Robert Dunn would not be far behind them.

3. Indianapolis ( sp ) 

Thanks for having a crack.........I guess the 300 views from Harness folk keener on bagging a drive , common tator or TV presenter !🙂

The Answers......I think , cos only Q3 for sure !

1)     After a very quick check , I believe  Colin DeFillippi drove in the race  1975 , Barry Purdon drove in 1976  , Robert Dunn drove in 1977.

2) Kevin Townley who trained 2 x horses racing on Tuesday drove in the race in 1970 !

3) The horse......THUNDER....... CCDevine .......won the  Cup in 1956 ,ran 2nd in 1957 then in 1958 ,1959 and 1960 was unplaced but formed a bracket with three times winner False Step.

So 4 x a winning dividend.

Amazing !

21 hours ago, tasman man said:

Thanks for having a crack.........I guess the 300 views from Harness folk keener on bagging a drive , common tator or TV presenter !🙂

The Answers......I think , cos only Q3 for sure !

1)     After a very quick check , I believe  Colin DeFillippi drove in the race  1975 , Barry Purdon drove in 1976  , Robert Dunn drove in 1977.

2) Kevin Townley who trained 2 x horses racing on Tuesday drove in the race in 1970 !

3) The horse......THUNDER....... CCDevine .......won the  Cup in 1956 ,ran 2nd in 1957 then in 1958 ,1959 and 1960 was unplaced but formed a bracket with three times winner False Step.

So 4 x a winning dividend.

Amazing !

Showing your age

Your commentator continues to call horses by the wrong names over all meetings

I watched the Ashburton meeting via VPN today and his misquoting of Allegra on many occasions and stating what an outstanding drive to hold the trail when the horse draws 2 and post race makes comment how Allegra made ground in the straight,it lost 20m from Remember Me back, I hope punters followed my horse to follow Remember Me

Cup day calling Taipo by the name Kango, the mistakes are endless but it is a relentless week and mentally draining at Matt Hill explained in the press over here 

1 hour ago, Diamond01 said:

Showing your age

Your commentator continues to call horses by the wrong names over all meetings

I watched the Ashburton meeting via VPN today and his misquoting of Allegra on many occasions and stating what an outstanding drive to hold the trail when the horse draws 2 and post race makes comment how Allegra made ground in the straight,it lost 20m from Remember Me back, I hope punters followed my horse to follow Remember Me

Cup day calling Taipo by the name Kango, the mistakes are endless but it is a relentless week and mentally draining at Matt Hill explained in the press over here 

Showing your age

Don't sweat the small stuff........

Call of race you quote was very good.......Allegra not misquoted at all and he was pushed up to hold the trail , and it was a crucial move re the leader of the race . Crucial and well spotted.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:38 PM, tasman man said:

Come on Harness Fans ,its the big day of the year.

You all fondly remember the good old days !

I suppose one could always do the research on HRNZ.

But to be able to answer those questions off the the top of one's head, you'd need to be of a certain age.

How many people are there still out there that would be old enough to have that knowledge whilst being "young enough" to want to engage in social media. A pretty small intersection I would have thought.

13 hours ago, 4bettor-orworse said:

I suppose one could always do the research on HRNZ.

But to be able to answer those questions off the the top of one's head, you'd need to be of a certain age.

How many people are there still out there that would be old enough to have that knowledge whilst being "young enough" to want to engage in social media. A pretty small intersection I would have thought.

Fair point  4bettor ,  I'll keep that in mind .

However I note that many regular posters DO enjoy flash backs to the ' good ole days ' , and in particular often refer to horses ,horseman and happenings which often date to historic events in Harness.

This covers all forms of Social media , the various enthusiasts and owners websites.

I also receive PM's from various posters which discuss Harness history , which often talk about the 1970's when horses like Lord Module and Showgate  & Grey Way ( gallopers ) performed !

Look at the Harness page on here and most who start the threads obviously the mature types.....almost all except Iraklis who seems an excitable young buck who not old enough to bet yet !

Plus a number of superanns who never post often discuss with me threads off social media.....they read but don't post [ or won't admit it ].

I often mix with young folk like yourself at the races and can interact with them OK !

Not all my thoughts are historical......but I have been going to Cup week since I was a foetus , and my father before me loved it too with his $2 per race win bets !

He actually died on Cup day....the excitement of having a 'big' Fixed Odds bet killed him........$5 to win on Kyms Girl @ $11. [ 2001 ]

Then there was the year a Tasman friend asked me why I was at Cup day , and I said I had a share in THREE horses in the NZ Cup......but I won't bore you with that highlight.

Tell me , what do you want to talk about ?

Hi Tasman Man. That was quite a response! Possibly overkill , relative to the point I was trying to make, but a great collection of anecdotes nonetheless!

I don't post a lot in here these days but I've been part of the cafe long enough to know you're one of the stalwarts.

Also long enough to have noticed the decline in interest in talking about harness racing in general. Even major races and meetings don't attract all that much discussion nowadays.

I suppose that was what I was saying really.

The way I worded my previous post was probably a bit deceptive in two ways:

I'm possibly waaaay older that what you realise. Maybe not of your generation but I hit the half-century next year! Old enough to be part of the "lost generation" (except I wasn't  lost)

I also quite enjoy reminiscing about days gone by too - but there seem to be so few left who do. (But as you point out, some might do so via PM)