Nerula

Wiremu Pinn

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, berzerk said:

Agree Baz. 

From what I can gather he fumbles the whip before his final strike, regathers, and hits with upside down whip. Not even a strong hit. No malice. no intent, BUT 3 month suspension. Another very questionable decision from RIB and JCA.

I don't see how he could accidentally end up with his whip upside down. Even if he did, actually using it like that seems quite malicious and intentional to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I don't see how he could accidentally end up with his whip upside down. Even if he did, actually using it like that seems quite malicious and intentional to me.

How the hell could anyone clearly see that on video in real time ?

Certainly not the Stipes who are usually blind on a good day and generally get it wrong !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Baz (NZ) said:

How the hell could anyone clearly see that on video in real time ?

Certainly not the Stipes who are usually blind on a good day and generally get it wrong !

Yes, the oxymoron is he would have been better to have dropping it when he fumbled. The standard of NZ stewarding and JCA is highly questionable. A senior jockey forcibly restrained their mount to miss a placing two weeks ago - not even a question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, berzerk said:

Yes, the oxymoron is he would have been better to have dropping it when he fumbled.

It was no fumble.

Given the admission of the charge, and the film evidence, the Committee is comfortably satisfied that the act was intentional. It accepts the submission of Mr Oatham that the action of altering the manner in which Mr Pinn held the whip was skilful and deliberate, as was the way in which there was striking of the horse, in the way displayed on the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Leggy said:

 

It was no fumble.

Given the admission of the charge, and the film evidence, the Committee is comfortably satisfied that the act was intentional. It accepts the submission of Mr Oatham that the action of altering the manner in which Mr Pinn held the whip was skilful and deliberate, as was the way in which there was striking of the horse, in the way displayed on the film.

So help me understand how a soft rubber handle is any more “improper” than padded flaps ? Particularly given that the point of balance of a Raceday whip is at the end of the finger grip handle so this reverse technique has no power any way 

The only issue here is that NO ONE has done it before 

It’s rather like the time David Walsh carried two whips…

WP might be a bit of a handful but this charge is b/s and they’re just harassing the kid … there was NO animal cruelty and no abuse here 

It’s time the RIB was given a decent overhaul and get rid of these small minded officious types who appear to be holding grudges 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, berzerk said:

On a wet day, at the same time he also loses his inside rein, he miraculously flips his whip upside down. All inside the final 50m. "Skilful, deliberate and intentional"

He didn’t do that at all, on the contrary he merely slid his hand down about 8 inches down the grip to change the point of balance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

So help me understand how a soft rubber handle is any more “improper” than padded flaps ? Particularly given that the point of balance of a Raceday whip is at the end of the finger grip handle so this reverse technique has no power any way 

The only issue here is that NO ONE has done it before 

It’s rather like the time David Walsh carried two whips…

WP might be a bit of a handful but this charge is b/s and they’re just harassing the kid … there was NO animal cruelty and no abuse here 

It’s time the RIB was given a decent overhaul and get rid of these small minded officious types who appear to be holding grudges 

You have a point. I was just clarifying that it was deliberate and intentional, albeit skilful. It's never been known to be done before. However, as the adjudicator pointed out, racing's social licence is on thin ice and complaints from the SPCA can not be treated lightly, especially with respect to whip use. The padded whips were clearly designed and implemented so that only the padded end made contact with the horse. And it's not a "soft rubber handle". The end is hard as.I realise that Wiremu is a handful and I hope he makes good use of the 3 months to reflect and maybe get some help if he wants to pursue a career as a jockey after that. No doubt he is an outstanding talent otherwise. Not the first or the last to go a bit off the rails with some early career success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Leggy said:

You have a point. I was just clarifying that it was deliberate and intentional, albeit skilful. It's never been known to be done before. However, as the adjudicator pointed out, racing's social licence is on thin ice and complaints from the SPCA can not be treated lightly, especially with respect to whip use. The padded whips were clearly designed and implemented so that only the padded end made contact with the horse. And it's not a "soft rubber handle". The end is hard as.I realise that Wiremu is a handful and I hope he makes good use of the 3 months to reflect and maybe get some help if he wants to pursue a career as a jockey after that. No doubt he is an outstanding talent otherwise. Not the first or the last to go a bit off the rails with some early career success.

Remarkably similar to CWJ…..judicial harassment 

Gentle rider just like CWJ

This complaint through the SPCA / MPI came from a “racing person”…..same as CWJ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Remarkably similar to CWJ…..judicial harassment 

Gentle rider just like CWJ

This complaint through the SPCA / MPI came from a “racing person”…..same as CWJ

 

Very kind rider imo, these brain explosions aside. Just needs to sort those out and he's on the way. Took CWJ a few decades :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Very kind rider imo, these brain explosions aside. Just needs to sort those out and he's on the way. Took CWJ a few decades :)

This kid has an impressive team backing him, at every level

He’ll be fine .. he’s actually not a bad kid …. and karma will take care of those orchestrating the campaign against him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Reported by a “racing person” through the SPCA, who then sent it to MPI ……stipes on the day saw nothing….the connections were all happy 

Sad that snitches have to run this route, obviously have a purrsonal distaste for WP,  bad enough Govt is encouraging society to "nark" on each other. As you say P4P, he's not a bad kid, I like & encourage him, shyte like this does nothing to encourage young riders to stay within the industry, it's no easy life for any of them & having green eyed participants does nothing to help a flailing industry struggling to tread water.  Kia Kaha Wiremu, 3 mths having fun out with kuri's hunting's, tino pai ki to Te Wairua

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Reported by a “racing person” through the SPCA, who then sent it to MPI ……stipes on the day saw nothing….the connections were all happy 

Bloody hell, that does set a precedent. I would like to dob in all but two of the jockeys in the Bear Grylls race at Wanganui who didn't notice they had missed the boat until about the 500m mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Bloody hell, that does set a precedent. I would like to dob in all but two of the jockeys in the Bear Grylls race at Wanganui who didn't notice they had missed the boat until about the 500m mark.

Operation Inca is entirely and totally substantiated by narcs and RIU disinformation 

Allegations of blood doping, betting irregularities, race fixing……but not one conviction and not one shred of evidence to support the claims of the narcs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, berzerk said:

The standard of NZ stewarding and JCA is highly questionable. A senior jockey forcibly restrained their mount to miss a placing two weeks ago - not even a question. 

Where was this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dhakuri – Slow to begin. Held up rounding the home turn and in the early stages of the straight. Rider J. McDonald pleaded guilty to a charge under AR228(b) in that when unsaddling Dhakuri after the race and when the gelding stood on his foot, he reacted by striking Dhakuri in the stomach region with the butt of his whip. J. McDonald was fined $500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.