RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Some interesting changes coming….

It was interesting to hear some of the changes announced by Catherine McDonald HRNZ ( where did she come from ? ) on The Box Seat.

* Harness Million Night Alexandra Park Feb 12 - 6 races prior to NZB Sale

* Everest type race $500,000 ( 10 slots @ $50,000 ) April 14 at Cambridge

* Auckland Cup $400,000 moves to May 27 with the Rowe Cup

* Addington Mega Meeting December 2 2022 - 10 major races including Derby, Oaks and FFA

* Harness Jewels Day dispersed

National Punters Club at Addington on Cup Day…tickets available from 10am Saturday November 6 - any amount you like..$20, $50 etc

So a few things to look forward to for a change……:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

It was interesting to hear some of the changes announced by Catherine McDonald HRNZ ( where did she come from ?

Catherine McDonald named as General Manager, Racing HRNZ.

27 October 2020 , News

Harness Racing New Zealand has announced its new General Manager, Racing.

Catherine McDonald has been appointed to the position, effectively replacing Darrin Williams who left after 26 years to take up a position at Addington Raceway.

“I’m really excited to be joining the HRNZ team,” she says.

“Catherine brings exceptional depth both commercially and strategically to the GM Racing role that will add real value and deliver strong benefit to HRNZ as we move forward,” says HRNZ Interim Chief Executive Phil Holden.

“Catherine comes to us from Lincoln University where she was a special projects manager initially supporting the university with its earthquake claims then moving onto to a project managing the successful business case for a new $80m science facility development.”

McDonald has also worked at the Christchurch City Council where she led teams on a variety of major city initiatives and projects.

She has been heavily involved with the racing industry : “I was born and bred into harness racing, arriving on Cup day and I’ve been an owner, breeder and trainer.”

Her family’s breeding success stories include Master Musician and the best horse she trained was three-win pacer Fear Me in the mid 1990s.

“I am excited about the commercial capability and impact Catherine will deliver for both HRNZ and the wider industry,” said Holden.

McDonald starts at HRNZ on November 9, a day before the New Zealand Cup

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

The thing about all the announcements is that there is nothing new. All the concepts are copied eg Karaka Millions, Everest Sweepstake etc.

True. But I am pleased some changes have been made to racing calendar. I think it is easy to see the influence of Michael House. He is always innovative and practical. We need two or three other astute horsemen to join him in future... I think the calendar changes are good but I also realise that it is not the finished article. It is progress at least....?

If its progress then why run the Sweepstake race  in an area of low horses in training and and a horrible track to boot. That's why The Everest is the race it is because its at the best track and every horse has an equal chance. Cambridge does not in my mind meet those requirements

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

If its progress then why run the Sweepstake race  in an area of low horses in training and and a horrible track to boot. That's why The Everest is the race it is because its at the best track and every horse has an equal chance. Cambridge does not in my mind meet those requirements

Replacing the Harness Jewels isn’t it. ? Not a one off, more like three years…

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

I know but they need support up there...not ideal but we have to live with it... no good for betting at least.

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

What is ideal up North? Alex Park home bend useless, real front running bias and hard for horses to negotiate the bend as no banking like the unequalled Addington track. So we got Alex Park, not ideal. Cambridge, really probably same issues, front running bias, but at least there is the possibility of a good place price in some of the races. Think Laver in Jewels at $15! Thank you very much. For this reason I think Cambridge gets the nod?

Just my thoughts of course...

I remember being excited with the Interdoms coming to Addington and it was soon to be our turn again. Last time the Earthquake put them off ,  and now they are gone again with this new calendar . Queensland get it. 

Yulestar was the last winner of it at Addington going an amazing track record.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, 2Piper said:

I remember being excited with the Interdoms coming to Addington and it was soon to be our turn again. Last time the Earthquake put them off ,  and now they are gone again with this new calendar . Queensland get it. 

A tragic loss to all, on both sides of the ditch but when i saw Spicer involved  is anyone surprised.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:03 AM, 2Piper said:

I'm in Brisbane mate. and saw YULESTAR win here in 2001 . you must of seen a NZ cup maybe.

They even changed the street address of Albion Park  to Yulestar St in his honour. Courage Under Fire was 4th.

ADDINGTON has seen 40years of Aussie Interdominion winners since the last kiwi one by RONDEL and Wolfie in 1979.

Lightning Blue 1987, Golden Reign 1995, Baltic Eagle 2003, and 2011 after the EARTHQUAKE they shifted to Auckland for yet another Aussie Trifecta

Smoken Up- I'm themightyQuinn- BlacksA Fake (Smoken Up later disqualified for a positive)  

more than 40 years since a kiwi winner at ADDINGTON, maybe they don't want to hold it with this Aussie domination ???

13 hours ago, Pure Steel said:

I'm in Brisbane mate. and saw YULESTAR win here in 2001 . you must of seen a NZ cup maybe.

They even changed the street address of Albion Park  to Yulestar St in his honour. Courage Under Fire was 4th.

ADDINGTON has seen 40years of Aussie Interdominion winners since the last kiwi one by RONDEL and Wolfie in 1979.

Lightning Blue 1987, Golden Reign 1995, Baltic Eagle 2003, and 2011 after the EARTHQUAKE they shifted to Auckland for yet another Aussie Trifecta

Smoken Up- I'm themightyQuinn- BlacksA Fake (Smoken Up later disqualified for a positive)  

more than 40 years since a kiwi winner at ADDINGTON, maybe they don't want to hold it with this Aussie domination ???

Correct , Yulestar won the NZ Cup and 2 FFA's .

Also gone is the Easter Cup.

Just wondering how they are catering for open class horses that not gonna travel to Aussie. Leaves Invercargill Cup as the only other 3200m race for them down South. Rangiora Classic is the only other notes race in Autumn.