RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Catalano

Multi 'each-way'

Can anyone enlighten me on what happens if I have, say, a four horse multi and select the 'each-way' button?

The info tab said that my horse odds become a combination of the win and place odds, so does that mean that if my multi finishes 1,3,1,2 and I've selected all four to collect, that I get the payout at the combined win/place odds?

If that's correct, why would anyone take a place multi?

If its a two horse multi and you choose each way you get 4 bets:

Win/Win
Win/Place
Place/Win
Place/Place

and the system calculates your return according to the FF win and place dividends.

If its a three horse multi you get 8 bets, etc 

6 hours ago, Catalano said:

Can anyone enlighten me on what happens if I have, say, a four horse multi and select the 'each-way' button?

The info tab said that my horse odds become a combination of the win and place odds, so does that mean that if my multi finishes 1,3,1,2 and I've selected all four to collect, that I get the payout at the combined win/place odds?

If that's correct, why would anyone take a place multi?

Four horse multi each way gives you 16 bets.  If your horses finish 1st, 3rd, 1st and 2nd then only four of those 16 multis would come in.

Got it - I was a bit hard of thinking yesterday.

I mis-understood this from the TAB website (on the multi betslip):

"Each Way - A each way bet combines a win and a place bet together at the same stake"

I read that to be that your bet was placed at the combined odds of the horse i.e. if it was paying $12 & $3 - your price was $7.50 and you would stay live if beaten into 2nd or 3rd - A completely convoluted and unnecessarily complex way of thinking about it.

Anyway, what they're offering isn't really an each-way multi - more a win multi plus a place multi.

A true each-way multi would split your stake and bet each-way on each leg - so if you had a $10 multi and your first horse won at $5/$2, you would have $17.50 each-way going on your next selection. If that was second at $3, you would have $26.25 each way on your third selection and so on.

8 hours ago, Catalano said:

A true each-way multi would split your stake and bet each-way on each leg - so if you had a $10 multi and your first horse won at $5/$2, you would have $17.50 each-way going on your next selection. If that was second at $3, you would have $26.25 each way on your third selection and so on.

Yep that is exactly what they do.

It's not a win multi plus a place multi.