RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
PRea

Racing costs and Prize money and common sense.

Hello folks. I have recently joined some mates to race 2 horses ...1 in NZ and 1 in  Victoria (Bathurst to avoid metropolitan training fees). The invoices tell me the NZ cost is $82 a day and the Bathurst cost is $97 per day.

WE race a maiden for total prizemoney in NZ of $12000   and we race a maiden for total prizemoney in Victoria of $38 000  (Australian ) . To me that looks like 400% more prizemoney in Australia for only slightly more costs . Before I start raising my concerns with my mates  am I missing something here ?

PRea, it is a fair cost to get your horse from Bathurst to race in Victoria. I have one in training at Caulfield which costs $132.00 per day plus GST (10%). But I agree, the only reason you would race a horse in NZ is so you can see it race (outside lockdown), because the prize money on offer is so poor. Minimum prizemoney in country NSW is now $24,000 so even racing on the country tracks around Bathurst will give you a significantly greater return than that in NZ

1 hour ago, PRea said:

Hello folks. I have recently joined some mates to race 2 horses ...1 in NZ and 1 in  Victoria (Bathurst to avoid metropolitan training fees). The invoices tell me the NZ cost is $82 a day and the Bathurst cost is $97 per day.

WE race a maiden for total prizemoney in NZ of $12000   and we race a maiden for total prizemoney in Victoria of $38 000  (Australian ) . To me that looks like 400% more prizemoney in Australia for only slightly more costs . Before I start raising my concerns with my mates  am I missing something here ?

Dunno if the example you used is correctly stated as 400% more but it is a shitload more in stakes in Aussie and many races exceed 400% !

I guess there are other factors to consider when deciding what suits you best as an owner.......it makes sense to send your horse to Aussie if it has good ability . If your horse is a slow one it will cost you less in NZ plus you will see it in the flesh a few times etc and maybe enjoy the race-day experience a bit if we ever get out of this lockdown situation !

PRea, thank you for your contribution.

Most owners watch their horse on the Tv so watching a runner at the likes of Benalla is no different.

I think you meant Ballarat, not Bathurst.  I must remind myself that one has the Eureka Stockade and the other, the most wonderful car race in the world.  I hope Bathurst don't lose that car race just as we have lost the most wonderful steeplechase in the world.

You have pointed out some salient facts.  With our present racing administration our country's horse racing will only survive whilst people cannot comprehend the basic economic facts you have presented.

Look at a horse like Justacanta...was a open company sprinter here but I think safe to say not top class...he has gone to Melbourne and won must be close to 200K for the spring...he would not have ever had a chance to do that here..zero. Why wouldn't you send anything with any sort of ability over there.

A story of two horses I part own...

Snapshot....first 8 starts for 6 wins and 2 2nds...one win is open class at Te Aroha....stakes won $NZ$78,000

Bermadez ...has raced 6 times for three wins...not yet open class...stakes won so far AUS$97,000

Snapshot hurt himself and now in a paddock....Bermadez racing in a AUS$500,000 race on Oaks day at Flemington

Never seen Mike  so confident on his website as he was last Sunday with Bermadez, , also speaking of prize money ,have a look how much the uk horse Maximal  who raced in the golden eagle yesterday. On Saturday morning apparently it had earned $108,000 and after yesterday’s 6th placing earnings are now$196,000.For a uk horse with good northern form only had very small earnings compared to Australian horses.

10 hours ago, Berri said:

A story of two horses I part own...

Snapshot....first 8 starts for 6 wins and 2 2nds...one win is open class at Te Aroha....stakes won $NZ$78,000

Bermadez ...has raced 6 times for three wins...not yet open class...stakes won so far AUS$97,000

Snapshot hurt himself and now in a paddock....Bermadez racing in a AUS$500,000 race on Oaks day at Flemington

Nice horse that Bermadez…fresh with Oliver on seems the way to go with him. By Tavistock so should go further too.

6 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Melbourne needs to lift its game the spring carnival in Sydney is really hurting them...Melbourne lives on tradition and Sydney is killing off that tradition..they need to make changes and soon.

I wouldn't really like to see Melbourne go head to head with Sydney. Sydney is certainly hurting them but some of their own fields are starting to get pretty thin. That Bondi race wasn't flash for a million or so.

The whole pattern is being distorted. Whether that is good or bad, we will see. Their group races will be getting as shaky as ours with all those rich none group races attracting some of the better horses away.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, PRea said:

It's widely known ,very obvious indeed, that Aussie stake money much higher.

The Messara report highlighted NSW return in stakes to owners as about 50% while NZ a little over 20% [from memory !]

However there are a number of factors which may be considered before entering Horse ownership......I doubt few would expect to make money from Ownership tho a Winx, Dundeel or Melody Belle is the dream.

A story of two horses I part owned.....

Both were purchased at Sales , both inexpensive purchases by new 'unproven' sires purchased by reputable ,good horsemen.

One was in NZ ,one in Aussie and both raced for a few seasons [ 4 to 5 seasons ] and both won about 5 races from 40-50 starts.

My aim was to have a horse in the Melbourne Cup.

The NZ horse won a 1400 m as an autumn 2 yr old , won as a spring 3 yr old at 2200m ,ran in the Derby [well beaten]  then raced a couple more seasons and I saw it race several times even tho I lived in South and it raced mainly in North . From memory it won about $50k [ not on website]

It was raced by a few friends and I got to meet a number of Industry folk etc and generally it was a good experience....do the numbers though and like most experiences it cost a bit with travel etc etc.

The one in Aussie won [from memory over $120k ]...it on website, but I think we sold it .It a bit hazy cos it was not a good experience. I never saw it race once and never saw it in flesh even though it trained at Flemington and raced at some of that city's tracks. I vaguely knew only one of the other owners and during the last year was constantly hassled by a couple of owners wanting to change trainers and repeatedly questioning every decision made around the horse.I was glad to be out of it ! 

I have since been in other horses in Aussie ,sometimes wondering if the horse still exists ,not knowing its fitness or much about it.

To me ,seeing the horse race and maybe sometimes around its stable is an enjoyable part of ownership.

At least PRea you are going in with 'friends'...I hope they remain friends and are good payers !

Don't feel sorry for me ...I've mainly had good experiences ,you have to be a good loser in Horse ownership....and bingo , I actually got to part own a horse who started in the Melbourne Cup.

Nothing like Berri ,but I did get to sit next to Bart Cummings in the stand...I sat beside him ,shook his hand and said...Hi ,I'm from Tasman ,NZ !

I guess you had to be there !

My aim was to have a starter in the Melb Cup too Gary but opportunities rapidly passing me by. 

You are right about the camaraderie side of it. Had a horse who won a reasonable cup here ages ago. My mate didn’t think it would win so he didn’t attend. The trainer was busy post race  and wasn’t into drinking at all so I was just standing round like the proverbial shag. The club looked after you well after a win though. 

So yeh a good group of owners make it a lot of fun especially if they are the type to attend and have a good time. 

If it’s any good be nice to have a higher per cent in it. After that win my mate turned up regularly including some great trips to Oz 

Be aware of owning a small share, you can have the horse sold from under you. The majority rules! An associate of mine had that happen with Justacanta. A story to dine out on but--------

I've had a few with the late TJ and he told me he liked to own a share sufficient to be able to persuade another partner to go with him. He said, "I should be able to find another to agree with me," And thus maintain control.

Its why small shares are not for me.

We had three horses in our syndicate, one trained by a great cambridge trainer that never even trialled !! let alone a race start !

One of the others trialled great, but couldn't get it done on raceday, until I suggested something to the Manager.  ;) 

The other won 4-5 races of which we never saw a cent, and everyone got a bill at the end of the year, for costs, the manager then decided not to charge the lowly ranked syndicate owners ...... 🤣

Ellerslie have a $60,000 R65 mile and the field is four short of the safety limit.

Wingatui have a $30,000 R65 mile and there is a horse on the ballot.

So many trainers within 180km of Ellerslie spend so much time talking about the awful stakes on offer.

Yeah, right!