RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dock leaf

NZTR Directions Paper

Interesting read, and I think the 

What's out says more than the what's in

• slow or no change to our racing product (hopefully this is true, as we have been moving very slowly for a long time.  The Messera report never changed things as quick as I hoped)
  • confusing Saturday strategy 
  • 3 x meeting Saturdays (we haven't got the jockeys for this because of how bad are domestic scene has become) 
  • consistently poor winter (winter is winter, so horses need winter tracks.  I like jump racing in winter.  I think the all weather track was a good consistent betting product during the winter).
  • offering a focus solely on domestic wagering (so our domestic product and TAB turnover on it is so ruined that we are changing course). 

OTHER THOUGHTS

I have always been an advocate for accepting overseas betting agencies, they are here to stay so we need to deal with them.  However this goes totally against the ads on trackside (included Cameron George) saying we should bet with NZ TAB.  So this is a big change.

Our domestic product is a hard watch at present.  The Hawkes Bay carinval was uninspiring, only 2 group 1 horses raced over the 3 days.  The undercards usually filled of tomorrows stars were dissappointing too.  Our foal crops are dropping sharply and the ship will take a while to turn.  However increased prize money will get us there in 5 years time.

I have been harping on for years that we need to race regularly on a Saturday at the same venue and provide a product with more consistent variables for punters (and now it appears overseas punters).  If this provides increased turnover and therefore increased prize money then it will prove to be the right thing to do.

I am not sure we are ready for a champions day yet (maybe  5 years away).  But I agree that special days seem to work, the Karaka night has become massive.

Night racing, it excites me and can meet the Aussie time zones.

Yes, an interesting read. I can't say it inspires me greatly, but that is probably just me.

Interesting to see the Northern region does 42% of the turnover but gets 46% of the prize money. The South does 26% of turnover but only gets 23% of prize money.

Also interesting that there are three designated metropolitan tracks in the CD, two in the North and just one in the South. That seems a bit strange giving the distribution of meetings etc.

I see they are asking peoples opinion on what should be done with the unwanted tracks. I'm sure the major Metropolitan clubs will say give the money to us.

Good of them to say to the people of Timaru "we will have to redo the Riccarton turf in a few years so could you keep your track up to scratch with all your local input in the meantime just in case we need to use your track occasionally." 

I had to smile at the approach to our pathetic group races. Rather than getting rid of the worst of them they are just going to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic and move them all over the place. Auckland tried that with their cup week and it didn't end up well.

There is a lot of reference to clubs as they hold the power in Members Council and thence NZTR. The so called sector groups. Owners Trainers and Jockeys are in a minority position. So the pressure comes from the wrong directions - to the detriment of racing..

Re the synthetic, an associate has been requesting the wagering figures of Cambridge . There has been no disclosure. They've clammed up

Re the venue plan, there is a glaring hole top of S.i. - Blenheim!!!!.

Re the whole report its OK, but LESS IS MORE., too much dribble in it.

12 minutes ago, Nerula said:

There is a lot of reference to clubs as they hold the power in Members Council and thence NZTR. The so called sector groups. Owners Trainers and Jockeys are in a minority position. So the pressure comes from the wrong directions - to the detriment of racing..

Re the synthetic, an associate has been requesting the wagering figures of Cambridge . There has been no disclosure. They've clammed up

Re the venue plan, there is a glaring hole top of S.i. - Blenheim!!!!.

Re the whole report its OK, but LESS IS MORE., too much dribble in it.

The dribble is normally to obscure the important bits.

NZ Racing is a small group tasked to take an overview of NZTR. This task should be done by the Members Council but the way that is set up it is club centric leaving the Sector groups of Owners and Licence holders in a minority. I will dig up the names of the NZ R

The the above is incorrect. New Zealand Racing came out of the Messara recommendations. It takes an overview of TAB and also the respective codes. It should be collegial one would hope.

Each code has a member and there are two independents. Jason Fleming was NZTR rep. but he has now been appointed to TAB. The names of the new panel should be out later this week.

1 hour ago, Nerula said:

The the above is incorrect. New Zealand Racing came out of the Messara recommendations. It takes an overview of TAB and also the respective codes. It should be collegial one would hope.

Each code has a member and there are two independents. Jason Fleming was NZTR rep. but he has now been appointed to TAB. The names of the new panel should be out later this week.

Sounds like a rehash of the old Racing Authority and Racing Industry Board. Back to the future.

The Champions Day sounds like an interesting initiative. They say an autumn date but how will that fit in with Auckland Cup Week and the Sydney, Melbourne Autumn carnivals? And what impact will it have on all the carnivals we have in the months before that (Wellington, Te Rapa etc)?

4 hours ago, Nerula said:

Not exactly 100% Fleming was NTR rep ,Woodham was Harness and from memory Hughes for the Hounds

They were  set up under the 2020 act to distribute  funds given to them from TABNZ. The board of 5 was to be 1 from each code and 2 independents. The latter have yet to be appointed by the 3 codes who had to agree on the personal .

The codes did agree to a 3 year distribution formula. which is currently in place although some would argue why given no independent directors to oversee the process.