RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Cox Plate Field….

The field and barrier draw for the 2021 Ladbrokes W.S Cox Plate is.

No. – Horse – Trainer – Jockey – Barrier – Weight

1 – ZAAKI (GB) – Annabel Neasham – James McDonald – 6 – 59kg

2 – DALASAN – Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas – Daniel Moor – 3 – 59kg

3 – GOLD TRIP (FR) – Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Damien Oliver – 2 – 59kg

4 – CALLSIGN MAV (NZ) – John Bary – Luke Nolen – 5 – 59kg

5 – MO‘UNGA (NZ) – Annabel Neasham – Hugh Bowman – 4 – 57.5g

6 – VERRY ELLEEGANT (NZ) – Chris Waller – Damian Lane – 9 – 57kg

7 – PROBABEEL (NZ) – Jamie Richards – Brett Prebble – 7 – 57kg

8 – STATE OF REST (IRE) – Joseph O‘Brien – John Allen – 8 – 56.5kg

9 – ANAMOE – James Cummings – Craig Williams – 10 – 49.5kg

10 – CAPTIVANT – Peter & Paul Snowden – Dean Yendall – 1 – 49.5kg

9 minutes ago, Littletramp said:

Tough decision for James to make - did he have 4 choose from? Should we be guided by his decision?

Toss up there but Damian Lane is as good so VE has lost nothing…track conditions might decide in the end.

2 hours ago, Littletramp said:

Tough decision for James to make - did he have 4 choose from? Should we be guided by his decision?

VE's connections booked a jockey who could ride her for the Spring. There was uncertainty over James getting down there for the Cox Plate with the Covid restrictions. 

Callsign Mav didn't get all favours in that Awapuni Gold Cup (2000m), but ran well enough to suggest the distance won't concern him.

He's run well at Te Rapa, which would give some confidence for MV. And he's paying $41 on NZ tote, which appears a fair rating.

However, would I back him in that field.....🤔

8 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

How professional is this...maybe NZ could take a leaf out of their book...great info....

https://www.thevalley.com.au/racing/live-track-information

Outstanding.

But here in NZ we put up with sketchy info. On NZTR site often no updates from tracks in days leading into a meeting. Guesses on track conditions on race day and frequent track updates after a race or three ....

And they complain about falling revenue when most of us who have a decent punt keep our hands in our pockets while they try and make up their minds on track conditions.

Hopeless

Just the one European representative in this year's renewal.

STATE OF REST is a lightly raced 3-y-o trained by Joseph O'Brien who knows how to win the big Australian prizes. He was a decent juvenile last year running third to CHINDIT in the Champagne at Doncaster before getting bogged down in the Doncaster mud in the Vertem Futurity.

After a long lay off he returned with a third in a Listed at The Curragh - the second that today, KHARTOUM, trained by Joseph's father Aidan, was eleven lengths behind CREATIVE FORCE in the Jersey and nine lengths behind BAAEED at Goodwood. Now, I suppose you could say what chance would BAAEED have if he were in the Cox Plate field? 

If you think STATE OF REST is about 10 lengths inferior to BAAEED that probably explains his 110 rating. Last time, he went to America and won the Grade 1 Saratoga Derby over 1950m. He had the once-time Derby favourite BOLSHOI BALLET in fourth and a fair Godolphin type in SECRET PROTECTOR in fifth and on that you could see why his rating is up to 115.

115 isn't a bad mark - solid Group 2 performer over here - so that's the barometer to set the standards of Australian and UK racing. I think he's a solid each way bet at 10s and I'd like to think he won't do too badly.

ZAAKI would be long odds on if it hadn't been for his defeat in the Might and Power last time but my eye is drawn to ANAMOE - geography means he gets 16 lbs from STATE OF REST which looks a bit off to me. The question I have is why he is 3/1 while CAPTIVANT is 14s - was there that much between them in the Caulfield Guineas and over an extra 400m is it not possible CAPTIVANT could be superior? 

Anamoe comes into contention with the small field but I much prefer the 3yolds to be on speed, it's hard to imagine Anamoe having the pace to run past mo'unga, verry elleegant or probabeel.

An 8 horse field is disappointing for the Cox Plate.

3 hours ago, stodge said:

Just the one European representative in this year's renewal.

STATE OF REST is a lightly raced 3-y-o trained by Joseph O'Brien who knows how to win the big Australian prizes. He was a decent juvenile last year running third to CHINDIT in the Champagne at Doncaster before getting bogged down in the Doncaster mud in the Vertem Futurity.

After a long lay off he returned with a third in a Listed at The Curragh - the second that today, KHARTOUM, trained by Joseph's father Aidan, was eleven lengths behind CREATIVE FORCE in the Jersey and nine lengths behind BAAEED at Goodwood. Now, I suppose you could say what chance would BAAEED have if he were in the Cox Plate field? 

If you think STATE OF REST is about 10 lengths inferior to BAAEED that probably explains his 110 rating. Last time, he went to America and won the Grade 1 Saratoga Derby over 1950m. He had the once-time Derby favourite BOLSHOI BALLET in fourth and a fair Godolphin type in SECRET PROTECTOR in fifth and on that you could see why his rating is up to 115.

115 isn't a bad mark - solid Group 2 performer over here - so that's the barometer to set the standards of Australian and UK racing. I think he's a solid each way bet at 10s and I'd like to think he won't do too badly.

ZAAKI would be long odds on if it hadn't been for his defeat in the Might and Power last time but my eye is drawn to ANAMOE - geography means he gets 16 lbs from STATE OF REST which looks a bit off to me. The question I have is why he is 3/1 while CAPTIVANT is 14s - was there that much between them in the Caulfield Guineas and over an extra 400m is it not possible CAPTIVANT could be superior? 

Zaaki has been scratched Stodge…..those betting orgs that have already paid out on him winning might be feeling a bit miffed right now…..:rolleyes:

Hard to line up State of Rest, personally I think Baaeed would give it a pretty good shake but we’ll never know.

Anamoe must be a hope at the weights, Very Ellegant now it has rained, and Mo’unga my three.

20 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Zaaki has been scratched Stodge…..those betting orgs that have already paid out on him winning might be feeling a bit miffed right now…..:rolleyes:

Hard to line up State of Rest, personally I think Baaeed would give it a pretty good shake but we’ll never know.

Anamoe must be a hope at the weights, Very Ellegant now it has rained, and Mo’unga my three.

BAAEED is unproven at 2000m - Haggas thinks he'll stay but he's a champion miler.

I've just seen about ZAAKI - looks like the ground has gone to a Soft 5 so what we would call Good to Soft. Probably won't do STATE OF REST any favours I fear.

STATE OF REST returned 13/2 over here after ZAAKI was scratched and I had a fiver each way at 10s last evening. 

That'll pay for a nice Sunday lunch for Mrs Stodge tomorrow !!

STATE OF REST was rated 115 after the Saratoga Derby win and this would put him to say 120 over here. I think we can discount the line through KHARTOUM as that was a first outing of the season and STATE OF REST clearly needed the run.

He's come to the Cox Plate on only his third run of the 2020 campaign - unlike ADELAIDE in 2014 who had also won in America but then ran third in the Niel at Longchamp.

There's not many common points of reference - STATE OF REST beat SECRET PROTECTOR four lengths at Saratoga and that horse is rated only 106 in the UK so perhaps STATE OF REST only had to run to 115 to win this. He gave the second 16 lbs or 7 kg which was no mean feat.

I gather the MacKinnon is next on the list for the winner - MAGIC WAND won it in 2019 also rated 115 up here having run fourth to LYS GRACIEUX in the Cox Plate.

Final thought - MISHRIFF tried to win the Champion Stakes worth £715,000 having won the Juddmonte at York. He's a well-travelled horse - they could have brought him to Australia - he'd have dotted up in the Cox Plate and trousered £1.7 million for his owners. 

To be fair, important though the Cox Plate is, the Saudi Cup comes in at £7.3 million so you can understand why connections want to forget the Breeders Cup and head there again.

21 hours ago, Berri said:

Callsign Nav ran to his 109 rating. Bye Bye NZ group one racing at Hastings in the spring. Wasn't a good Cox Plate. Winning form is 120 at best.

Berri ,you seem quite negative about NZ racing ....yet again .....but looking at the Australian racing yesterday I didn't feel so bad about it...far from it !

Our horsemen/women seemed to do OK ...that is our jockeys and trainers while the horses were there abouts .

You will know the numbers ,but in most areas ...population ,economy , betting ,horse numbers  etc I think Aussie [ and UK ] at least 5 to 10 times bigger than NZ.

So I was intrigued to see the amazing Cox Plate race with its massive stake only had 8 starters....EIGHT....4 of them had NZ beside their name, one ran a close 3rd and the other two IMO were unsuited by rain and distance.

Two of the starters were having their first start in Aussie and the winner a lightly raced UK horse.

In the other big race of day ,a Kiwi was warm favourite and had no favours ,ran 4th ,while the race was a NZ bred by Sacred Falls !

Then earlier I note a recent NZ export by Super Easy picked up a sprint race etc etc.

i thought NZ breds had quite a good day ....you describe our horses as NOT good or poorly bred.

As for your suggestion that NZ needs to invest in the top mares and top stallions I cant see where the money comes from for this ?

What Kiwis could buy these...to race for NZ stakes ?

Our stakes rely on NZ punters.......you also want bigger tracks built that can cater for 24 horse field !...to increase betting profits ....yeah right !

Do punters want 24 x horse fields and will the owners of these super expensive horses want to be racing 23 others ?

I just cant follow your vision at times !