RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Value Bell

Tasman man.

On the HRNZ page is a story about Deny Everything. Damian Love is a printer. HIs father Neil was a printer at the Evening Star in the late 60s. Do you know who Neil is? At the Evening Star Neil had a Best Bets sticking out of his back pocket. Also at the Evening Star was John Carlyle and Roger Soroka.

5 hours ago, Value Bell said:

On the HRNZ page is a story about Deny Everything. Damian Love is a printer. HIs father Neil was a printer at the Evening Star in the late 60s. Do you know who Neil is? At the Evening Star Neil had a Best Bets sticking out of his back pocket. Also at the Evening Star was John Carlyle and Roger Soroka.

Hi VB,

No memories of these folk....I would have attended every Forbury Park meeting from about 1963 to 1978 [ all night racing] but lived on Taieri and pottered around various owner/trainer stables and studs with the gallopers, when not at Cricket .

At that time there wasn't that much Harness stuff in Dunedin or on Taieri...Syd Brown , Patterson [Forest Gratten] Bill Cadogan were three O/T on Taieri.

Harness horses were scattered around Otago region at Brighton ,Tomahawk, Balclutha,Lawrence,Roxburgh ,Lauder ,Balclutha Waikouaiti,Palmy etc....Oamaru had many good horses....FOliver, Hore,RBeale ISSutherland etc

Meadowbank was a good Dunedin horse , George Mills the local Butcher trained the odd one the Courts had a few good ones .KRobertson at Brighton and  Ali Malcomson trained for long time.

I sometimes took an Evening Star sports reporter [Roy Colbert] to the Forbury trots. He did Cricket ,music and other sports.

i stumbled on a  1977 Star Sports recently and a Barry Milne wrote the trots column and PMcCord the gallops.

I was surprised to see some Forbury Park trials fields...there were about 70 horses running including 25 in pacing Qualifier and 10 x 2 yr olds....several from Oamaru. 

The most prominent at trials was Balgove who was a good horse from Lawrence ,from memory.

Are you any relation to R Bell who I attended Otago Uni with ? .....his family loved Harness and had horses with CC Devine.

But no memory of the Loves or other names ,sorry !

8 hours ago, tasman man said:

The most prominent at trials was Balgove who was a good horse from Lawrence ,from memory.

What a nice horse he was for his connections. 40 starts for 16 wins, usually driven by Bob Cameron and trained by Bill Roberts who died in 2018. Correct me TM but was he not from Tuapeka or somewhere close to there?

2 hours ago, Value Bell said:

Roy Colbert lived in Ann Street, Roslyn. Roy was a good neighbour. Gordon Morrison owned and trained Meadowbank. Meadowbank won a Wellington Cup. My surname is Woods.

Maybe Norman Woods ,an Otago cricketer.....how Roy loved Cricket !

My father was a Kaikorai man thru and thru ,before Taieri !

Or Michael or Richard Woods ,Wakari Road , both OBHS Old Boys.

After my first post ,which was all from memory ,I remembered the names L.Shirley and .Viv Anngow ,Dunedin Harness folk.

And a useful trotter White World flashed before my eyes.....it was a 1965 Interdom finalist. 

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

What a nice horse he was for his connections. 40 starts for 16 wins, usually driven by Bob Cameron and trained by Bill Roberts who died in 2018. Correct me TM but was he not from Tuapeka or somewhere close to there?

Is Tuapeka a place  ?....last year I was fumbling around Lawrence / Gabriels Gully/ Blue Spur tracking the history of my Grandparents and I came across the Tuapeka Stream !

I know Tuapeka is a Trot club and the name of wellknown stud...Cummings family with a prominent breed ,Tuapeka Knight and Tuapeka Dream etc but suspect it may be like the settlement of Bluespur.......a stick in the ground ,a signpost and a couple of old buildings and a few photos.

Or just  plain Lawrence !

2 hours ago, Value Bell said:

Norman was my older brother. Kaikorai team early 60s.

34608462_10160615151335615_6216871904335101952_n.jpg

I should know more of these faces but a bit of brain fade.....Captain Les Watt ,with Artie Dick beside.

Tallest one....Lance Pearson who owned a few Harness horses and Tom Flaws at back.

Should know more including scorer at front.!

Front row from left =Gordon Mac McGregor, Fred Stanley, Les Watt, Artie Dick, ? Lindsay Waters the scorer.

Middle row = ? Newall, Roger Storer, Johnny Veitch, Lance Pearson, Norman Woods, ? Dave Henry.

Back row = ? Ronnie Ramsay, Tommy Flaws.

Missing from photo is Gordon Chave. Every week Gordon was at Bishopcourt for a Kaikorai home game.