Ohokaman

Caulfield Cup acceptors

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Nerula said:

Wouldn't that be noms?

Those were the Second Declarations, Nerula:

 

Nominations Fee $1160 Caulfield Cup 2021 nominations closed on Tuesday August 3rd
Second Declarations Fee $3300 12 Noon Tuesday 21st September 2021
Third Declarations Fee $4,400 4.30pm Wednesday 5th October 2021
Final Declarations Fee $37,500 4:30pm Wednesday 13th October 2021

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drat, I was just about to ask if that was Boundless!

I saw about $A80,000 ... plus, of course, it incentivised someone to buy her for $A700,000 as a broodmare in a subsequent Australian Sales!

Glad that the experience was great for you, Nerula...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NP,  Zero return, she a bad trip bad CC, drove straight into Maldivians arse in the straight and missed 100k by a place. Woke him up and M won the Cox Plate the next Saturday. The MC another story where we just missed 112k

Money came back in spades when your GF took her to Sydney, I banked 214k.

Please dont anyone jump on me for skiting. Its just something I lived. And if you get good karma you pay back.---

There's "Billy the Hat" sending Ocean Billy over to have a go this November. I wish him the greatest luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nerula said:

Please dont anyone jump on me for skiting. Its just something I lived. And if you get good karma you pay back.---.

No jumping from me, Nerula!

I love it when the proverbial little battler (if that isn't an insulting term!) comes through.

Peter Moran of Panzer Chief (post his Te Awamutu jackpot win) springs to mind in New Zealand...

And I always had a soft spot for the great Brigadier Gerard who, from very humble circumstances, won the 2000 Guineas in May 1971 over Mill Reef and My Swallow

My gripes in Racing tend to be more with the big boys - the Sangsters and the Maktoums, e.g., who just bought their way to decent horses. Or to folk like TJ Smith who, back in the day, would line up at least 4 horses in every decent Sydney race and then - after the race - tell everyone 'Well, I did think that winner was the best of my chances...'

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote a blog for the mare and just checked that and what I said was wrong about the cost. That campaign came to 108k including Quarantine. The mare came out of Q in very poor shape and TJ was ropable. It took a long spell to get condition back and she went to the $2m Kelt, "half a race short". Got run down in the shadow of the post for close 4th. Princess Coup, Nom de Jeu and Red Ruler beat us. The mare was tough and good, but never lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  23 hours ago, Gruff said:

But after you took a little more earlier 😆 looks good.

 

Wish that were me, but in a slightly different league to me unfortunately  🙂

It was the first time I had seen it run and thought it was super impressive. Put them away with ease and could have gone another round!

I was also very impressed with Sir Dragonet first up, so I have dropped a few lazy Rubles on both of these in the Caulfield / Melbourne Cup & Cox Plate markets.

$21 on the Oz market versus the now $13 on the NZ TAB - typical of the stingy  mob we have here. 🤢

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final acceptances Wednesday. Alf will be hoping Floating Artist can win the Coongy and get in……😉

Phenomenal run by The Chosen One on Saturday…..ran his last 800/600/400/200 in 45.43, 33.87, 22.55, 11.55.

Drops 5kg next week, although Delphi drops 4.5kg too….Oliver to ride .5kg over at 53kg.

2021-10-05-carlton-draught-caulfield-cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Disillusioned said:

No jumping from me, Nerula!

I love it when the proverbial little battler (if that isn't an insulting term!) comes through.

Peter Moran of Panzer Chief (post his Te Awamutu jackpot win) springs to mind in New Zealand...

And I always had a soft spot for the great Brigadier Gerard who, from very humble circumstances, won the 2000 Guineas in May 1971 over Mill Reef and My Swallow

My gripes in Racing tend to be more with the big boys - the Sangsters and the Maktoums, e.g., who just bought their way to decent horses. Or to folk like TJ Smith who, back in the day, would line up at least 4 horses in every decent Sydney race and then - after the race - tell everyone 'Well, I did think that winner was the best of my chances...'

 

 

Brigadier Gerard humble !!

Trained by the greatest of his generation, Major Dick Hern, at West Isley in Berkshire, a private yard owned by Sir Michael Sobell and Sir Arnold Weinstock, the chief patron of which was The Queen, and he was ridden in every start by the champion Joe Mercer…..which part was humble ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Final acceptances Wednesday. Alf will be hoping Floating Artist can win the Coongy and get in……😉

Phenomenal run by The Chosen One on Saturday…..ran his last 800/600/400/200 in 45.43, 33.87, 22.55, 11.55.

Drops 5kg next week, although Delphi drops 4.5kg too….Oliver to ride .5kg over at 53kg.

2021-10-05-carlton-draught-caulfield-cup

More a matter of will than can Ohokaman 👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Brigadier Gerard humble !!

Trained by the greatest of his generation, Major Dick Hern, at West Isley in Berkshire, a private yard owned by Sir Michael Sobell and Sir Arnold Weinstock, the chief patron of which was The Queen, and he was ridden in every start by the champion Joe Mercer…..which part was humble ?

I think the humbling is what he did to his opposition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Brigadier Gerard ... which part was humble ?

Apologies for the poorly-used term!

I used it thinking along the lines that his feats - against a generation that included two great horses (Mill Reef and My Swallow) - were of unexpected quality.

 

His emphatic 2000 Guineas win over that duo in 1971 - when he was the 'despised' outsider of the three - was breathtaking:

Ever read John Hislop's 'The Brigadier', Leo? Possibly the best racing book I have ever bought ... although I have the softest of soft spots for the tome 'Ruffian - Running From The Start'...

 

Brigadier Gerard
Sire Queen's Hussar
Grandsire March Past
Dam La Paiva
Damsire Prince Chevalier
Sex Stallion
Foaled 1968
Country Great Britain
Colour Bay
Breeder John L. Hislop
Owner Mr & Mrs. John L. Hislop
Trainer Dick Hern
Record 18: 17-1-0
Earnings £253,024.70
Major wins
Washington Singer Stakes (1970)
Middle Park Stakes (1970)
2000 Guineas (1971)
St. James's Palace Stakes (1971)
Sussex Stakes (1971)
Goodwood Mile (1971)
Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (1971 & 1972)
Champion Stakes (1971 & 1972)
Westbury Stakes (1972)
Lockinge Stakes (1972)
Prince of Wales's Stakes (1972)
Eclipse Stakes (1972)
K. George VI & Q. Elizabeth Stakes (1972)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, watch "Minsky" react each time Lester Piggot gently persuades him with the whip.

I also enjoyed "The Brigadier" and thought it was well written from an interesting perspective. Love the chapter about the horses first start, when Hislop gave instructions for the jockey to his wife before the first start as he could not be there. No spoiler alert - get the book and read it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2021 at 10:34 AM, Littletramp said:

Wow, watch "Minsky" react each time Lester Piggot gently persuades him with the whip.

Dunno if it was Minsky but I always chuckle when I remember Lester's gem about horses that consistently hung:

"The best thing you can do is put a piece of lead in his right ear as a counter-balance . . . with a shotgun." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.