RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
b kelly

cambridge fields

11 hours ago, b kelly said:

very small fields,only one race with8,rest smaller,ridiculous

Correct , and we know horse numbers low and shrinking weekly [sales and heading to South for racing ] and it seems pointless racing both Cambridge and ATC on successive nights ,but with collaboration this could be managed.

Sadly we in 'extreme' times and the limitation on people moving between Levels has made this near impossible.

Originally Cambridge had 28 noms for maidens , then the announcement made re ATC going ahead in Level 3 ,so many of these horses withdrew from Cambridge as ATC racing PLIS trials/workouts at Pukekohe.

So these extra options became available ,less hassle and better !

Of course the Open class ranks have been decimated with sales and horses going to South Island so this leaves ATC noms at 4 or 5 available horses in the top grade.

Its a mess ....in North. The drivers in North cant leave region !

Meanwhile the South can put on a full Addington meeting each week ,174 noms for Banks Pen and 150 horses at trials. Plus Southern meeting !

At least this week some Northern owners will be fed a little stake money ,as mentioned above !

2 hours ago, tasman man said:

This is not a new problem TM - it has been going on for some years now.     We know the horse population in the North in insufficient to sustain back to back Cambridge/Auckland meetings .....But............  the clubs still insist doing this.      Especially over the mid year months.      Instead of swallowing their pride, the officials persist with this.      The clubs must be losing a poultice.     Perhaps members should ask their office bearers a few questions at upcoming AGM's.

21 hours ago, eljay said:

This is not a new problem TM - it has been going on for some years now.     We know the horse population in the North in insufficient to sustain back to back Cambridge/Auckland meetings .....But............  the clubs still insist doing this.      Especially over the mid year months.      Instead of swallowing their pride, the officials persist with this.      The clubs must be losing a poultice.     Perhaps members should ask their office bearers a few questions at upcoming AGM's.

Never been this bad eljay......but obviously escalated by covid Levels which means people can't move , especially drivers.

Also there are horses that want to race but can't cos the pool of horses so small eg the higher grade of horse including Cup horses.

Meanwhile the South flush in most grades and in Level 2 so drivers can move as well !

Asking questions at AGM doesn't get far...fobbed off. The small fields were mentioned at a meeting recently and the President proudly announced the tiniest field had attracted the highest turnover....ie a Group race with 3 x big chances won by Bolt for Brilliance 

If the president thinks 4 horse fields are better than 12 horse fields then it is certainly time for him to step down.       I have no real ideas myself for a quick fix but I certainly dont think spin is the answer.       

Back to back northern meetings have long caused problems but I as understand, the clubs concerned don't have control over racing dates. The current tiny fields are totally understandable with the barrier to travel over Covid boundaries and the difficulty those reliant on Puke to get horses race fit. Also we've had a run of meetings at Cambridge and not every horse can race weekly. I know ours is 'resting' this week.

1 hour ago, eljay said:

If the president thinks 4 horse fields are better than 12 horse fields then it is certainly time for him to step down.       I have no real ideas myself for a quick fix but I certainly dont think spin is the answer.       

It is a lot easier to say this on line than at the actual meeting....little criticism was spoken about the $100million financial loss so small fields would hardly raise an eyebrow at an ATC meeting !

re the 5-horse field I referred to above it was a Sales series final and Bolt For Brilliance had two highly rated rivals Cracker Hill and Ultimate Stride. October 2020.

He was only stating facts ! Probably reflects the overall quality of the fields.

1 hour ago, Nelli said:

Back to back northern meetings have long caused problems but I as understand, the clubs concerned don't have control over racing dates. The current tiny fields are totally understandable with the barrier to travel over Covid boundaries and the difficulty those reliant on Puke to get horses race fit. Also we've had a run of meetings at Cambridge and not every horse can race weekly. I know ours is 'resting' this week.

Correct but the NEW regime is /was promising change.

Industry leaders including trainers,owners etc were taken to Christchurch for a brain storming session and told the facts.

Many came out beaming that a new dawn was here , highly motivated etc and this included many North Island players.

Surely the basics were discussed......like the shortage of Northern horses and young folk taking up a career........the new exciting strategies and plans should be happening or about to happen any day now.

Covid  and the Level rules have put another spanner in the works but the dumb decision to have 2 x northern nights on consecutive nights should not have happened .

The Cambridge fields are pathetic while the few better horses [ both gaits ] have been denied a race at ATC.

Yes the new regime is moving the calendar so the Northern horses will know they have to move South to race pre-Xmas , so it may be said they knew in advance , but pretty sure the ATC said the main Spring races would go ahead in 2021.

Some moved ,others took the chance !

The question is ...Do the  2 x Northern Clubs discuss their calendars ?

There’s not much point Auckland horses paying majestic horse floats to take them down a and race for the poor stakes on offer at Cambridge when they can shoot up the motorway and race for better stakes at Auckland. After Auckland got transferred to Cambridge last week they should’ve just run one meeting this week at Auckland  

It's no good running a shop if you got no stock on the shelves to sell.     The lessons of the last 30 years were never heeded at the time and it is now too late.      People always told me to look ahead to the bright future, but if this is it they were only pipe dreamers.