RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
RacingJimmy

Jockeys impacted by Auckland lockdown

So, when looking at the fields for Te Rapa last Saturday, it appears that only a couple of jockeys have been impacted by the lockdown. Most notably Leith Innes. Is there a plan for them moving forward whereby they can ride once the rest of the country goes to Level 3? Crucial time of the year and not one you would like to miss out on especially Lethal. Surprised to see Sam Spratt and Opie Bosson accepting rides as thought they resided inside the Auckland boundaries. What is the situation there?

@RacingJimmy

If they are fit and healthy, why shouldn't they be allowed to go about their lives as we all should be doing without the disproportionate regulations some think we should be under?

It's everyone's lawful right to go to work to earn a living and support oneself and one's family.

It's overdue that Dr Ashley Bloomfield was held to account for failing to adhere to The Hippocratic Oath, First Do No Harm

From Racingnews.co.nz

This week’s Waikato race meetings look likely to go ahead without leading jockey Opie Bosson after changes to the Auckland-Waikato border area have locked him in.

Bosson was set to have an outstanding book of rides at Saturday’s Te Rapa raceday, among them multiple Group One winner Avantage in the Gr.2 Valachi Downs Foxbridge Plate (1200m) and Group One-placed I Wish I Win in the Gr.3 Cambridge Stud Northland Breeders’ Stakes (1200m).

But he has discovered that his home south of Pukekawa is regarded as being in Auckland for COVID-19 lockdown purposes – meaning he can’t leave the area without a special exemption.

“I found out last night. In other lockdowns the checkpoints have been further north and I’ve been able to ride in Waikato,” Bosson said.

“It’s very frustrating. I pay my rates in Waikato, I’m halfway between Pukekohe and Hamilton. I thought the whole way through that I’ve been Waikato-based.”

Bosson said he’d been working very hard at keeping his weight down leading into the meeting and was set to ride at 57.5kg at Te Rapa.

Among his options are flying to Australia, where his services would likely be in demand, especially given the suspensions handed out to leading Melbourne jockeys including Jamie Kah, Mark Zahra and Ben Melham after they attended an illegal party last week – though he would need a period in quarantine.

“I’ve actually had a few offers to go over to Australia, but we’ll see what happens here over the next day,” he said.

He has spoken to his local Member of Parliament, Port Waikato National MP Andrew Bayly, to see if there’s anything he can do to get an exemption to ride in Waikato, and said he’d make a decision on his next course of action in the next day or two.

Bosson said he’d had his first COVID-19 vaccination. He also had a test last week which has since proved negative.

Other Auckland-based jockeys, including Leith Innes, Andrew Calder and Masa Hashizume, are facing the same problem, though for most their situation is not as unexpected given their locations well within the Auckland boundaries.

Chief Stipendary Steward John Oatham confirmed the only way the jockeys could ride in the area was with a government exemption.

“From our experience last time when Auckland was in different levels, I don’t think it’s likely one would be granted. It’s not something we have discretion over,” he said.

Oatham said he wasn’t sure exactly when the boundary changed, as there had been a change last year between two Auckland-only lockdowns that impacted two stewards based in Pokeno, which was moved into the Auckland area between the two.

“I’m not sure if it’s changed this time, but there is a map we’ve been given that has an address finder on it and when you type in Opie’s address he is definitely in the Auckland region,” he said.

Oatham said it’s not just jockeys impacted, as the stipendary steward resources will be stretched as well, as five stewards stretched across the three racing codes who are based in the Auckland area will not be available in what is a congested schedule.

“In the Waikato region currently we’ve got three thoroughbred staff, so that basically means with thoroughbred racing events on the next eight days, they’re going to have to be working every day,” he said.

“We’ve got one harness meeting and only one harness staff member in Waikato, so one of our galloping team is going to have to assist them, plus with some remote help viewing whatever footage they can at home.

“Also, at Level 3 you’re really restricted to your own or a neighbouring region, and the Central Districts region is causing some headaches because we don’t have a lot of staff there.”

In a not  dissimilar matter, how can M Moroney's name appear as a NZ partnership trainer with Pam G. He he lives in Melbourne and has done for decades. It has been in lock down for months and NZ MIQ laws would require him to isolate for 2 weeks every time he enters the .country if he can get a space. 

I can stand to be corrected but dont overseas trainers in NZ partnerships have to visit NZ stable at least once a month?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300417653/covid19-auckland-boundary-rules-relaxed-for-those-moving-house-starting-new-jobs I'm picking the Auckland jockeys will be on to this and will be getting new jobs outside of Auckland so that they can start riding again.Thinking that Opie might become a trackwork jockey at Te Akau and Leith will get a role at Cambridge Stud... Surely a loophole that will allow them to get back riding??

On 9/5/2021 at 7:49 AM, MissJools said:

According to Trackside, Sam Spratt is now based in Taupo, so that's probably why she was able to ride at Te Rapa.

She's staying with her best friend. Good on her.

The manner Sports people and those who do jobs that require a decent sense of fitness should never ever have been held to ransom going about their private lives based on a situation in China, a country that is not even comparable to New Zealand's clean green lands, nor do China have our levels of Healthcare facilities.

Who allowed the comparing of apples with bananas?

The Racing industry, like others, should have asked a lot more questions than they did and should not be taking the situation we find ourselves in lying down.

It's time for accountability by those in Public Health and Governance for not FACT Checking info they have relied on, and not rely on a few images of people lying on streets or been filmed going into hospitals in other countries that could be for all manner or reasons.

Professional standards in Journalism used to be much higher and it's time they went back to teaching Investigative Journalism at school.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, RacingJimmy said:

So, when looking at the fields for Te Rapa last Saturday, it appears that only a couple of jockeys have been impacted by the lockdown. Most notably Leith Innes. Is there a plan for them moving forward whereby they can ride once the rest of the country goes to Level 3? Crucial time of the year and not one you would like to miss out on especially Lethal. Surprised to see Sam Spratt and Opie Bosson accepting rides as thought they resided inside the Auckland boundaries. What is the situation there?

Sam has moved to Taupo