RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

A New Topic - Fair or Not for Trent?

Non Raceday Inquiry – Decision dated 19 August 2021 – Trent John Yesberg

ID: RIB4055

Respondent(s): 
Trent John Yesberg - Trainer

Applicant: 
Simon John Irving, Racing Investigator

Adjudicators: 
Russell McKenzie and Liana Yong

Persons Present: 
Mr Simon Irving (the Informant), Mr Trent Yesberg (the Respondent) and Mr Paul Yesberg (Lay Advocate for the Respondent)

Information Number: 
A15804, A15805

Decision Type: 
Adjudicative Decision

Charge: 
Failed to Present Horses Free of Prohibited Substances 

Rule(s): 
1004A (2) and (4)

Plea: 
Admitted

Animal Name: 
REINIIMIN PATRON and ROCKIN DIVA

Hearing Date: 
07/08/2021

Hearing Location: 
Riccarton Park, Christchurch

Outcome: Proved

Penalty: Trainer Trent Yesberg is fined the sum of $3,500

The trainer here took the risk lining up the horses at trials within the recommended holding time for these drugs to mask pain etc.

I guess the authorities need to be strict in observing the rules as a deterrent to others...hence little or no discretion in their decisions and fines which seem very severe !

While looking up this decision I stumbled on the appeal by Simon Lawson to get his reinstatement 4 x months earlier than settled on.

They rejected this appeal ,charged $1000 costs , showed little compassion stating he got a very modest original penalty.

I feel for these guys who have their lifelong interest taken from them and hit hard in the pocket as a double-whammy by the gold-plated bureaucracy !

Everyone makes the odd mistake.......

But these  young guys need to be squeaky clean and err on the side of caution !

26 minutes ago, tasman man said:

The trainer here took the risk lining up the horses at trials within the recommended holding time for these drugs to mask pain etc.

I guess the authorities need to be strict in observing the rules as a deterrent to others...hence little or no discretion in their decisions and fines which seem very severe !

While looking up this decision I stumbled on the appeal by Simon Lawson to get his reinstatement 4 x months earlier than settled on.

They rejected this appeal ,charged $1000 costs , showed little compassion stating he got a very modest original penalty.

I feel for these guys who have their lifelong interest taken from them and hit hard in the pocket as a double-whammy by the gold-plated bureaucracy !

Everyone makes the odd mistake.......

But these  young guys need to be squeaky clean and err on the side of caution !

As the saying goes " There's no point in having rules unless you follow them"

I dont think he's been that hard done by given what they found in the horses systems It was his complacency after all.

3 minutes ago, dkc said:

Perhaps its time that every drug given to a horse is notified. Doesn't matter when.

Should be easy with microchipping. Scan and notify!

Should be in the stables treatment book already. Plus trainer should know withholding periods for administered meds. It would be on the label

56 minutes ago, dkc said:

All good that trainer knows what he is giving horses but let's open it up so everyone knows. Might be what is needed to stop the reliance on drugs. It is out of control IMO!

Harness racing needs to be more transparent in all situations involving any misconduct, note they very seldom comment on these types of issue. i.e S Wigg what happened there anyone know.

Horses are not scratched by the stipes for no reason yet nothing has come of this regardless if innocent or not, we should be told either way....(Transparency)

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

I dont think he's been that hard done by given what they found in the horses systems It was his complacency after all.

You are dead right there. Rules are rules. and better to err n the side of caution on occasion . One trainer I know picked up a horse from Tassie and won with it 10 days later. Then it returned a positive for corticosteroid so he got 6 months lol. He wasn't bitter as rule of thumb was have horses more than 20 days prior to racing when new in stable.

He just said 'Bloody Tassie,!! god knows what they put in them down there !! lol , took it on the chin though, (his fault if presenting horse at races with substances in system) so horses all went in Son-in -laws name for 6 months. he obviously didn't attend races but did continue to shoe them. Lucky no stable raids by stewards ? lol. got his licence back at 6 months and carried on back as per normal. didn't lose a horse.

Funny story with steward Stable raids. Disqualified trainer Daryl Douglas (a Very High Profile Victorian horseman was on a training property while still out DQ when stewards arrived for a 'look' surprise raid,  so he rushed off and hid in the dog kennel !!!  hahahaha talk about going from Pent-house of driving to Dog -house lol.

2 minutes ago, Pure Steel said:

You are dead right there. Rules are rules. and better to err n the side of caution on occasion . One trainer I know picked up a horse from Tassie and won with it 10 days later. Then it returned a positive for corticosteroid so he got 6 months lol. He wasn't bitter as rule of thumb was have horses more than 20 days prior to racing when new in stable.

He just said 'Bloody Tassie,!! god knows what they put in them down there !! lol , took it on the chin though, (his fault if presenting horse at races with substances in system) so horses all went in Son-in -laws name for 6 months. he obviously didn't attend races but did continue to shoe them. Lucky no stable raids by stewards ? lol. got his licence back at 6 months and carried on back as per normal. didn't lose a horse.

Funny story with steward Stable raids. Disqualified trainer Daryl Douglas (a Very High Profile Victorian horseman was on a training property while still out DQ when stewards arrived for a 'look' surprise raid,  so he rushed off and hid in the dog kennel !!!  hahahaha talk about going from Pent-house of driving to Dog -house lol.

And guarantee the same is happening here with some of those disqualified lately.

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

IMO a bit tough !...seems he got it wrong by a day !

They were trials and both seemed to have quiet runs .

I think it smells a bit that they waited till the day horses race to inform him...maybe a suggestion they trying to really catch him out...entrapment ?????

The treatments aren't prohibitive.....just got the witholding time wrong by a day !

Young..first offence....compliant .....$3500 tough......not racing for stakes,time or sale $$.

JMO

13 minutes ago, tasman man said:

I think it smells a bit that they waited till the day horses race to inform him...maybe a suggestion they trying to really catch him out...entrapment ?????

The treatments aren't prohibitive.....just got the witholding time wrong by a day !

Young..first offence....compliant .....$3500 tough......not racing for stakes,time or sale $$.

JMO

As DKC said above  "If the horses are sore they shouldn't be going anywhere. That would include being worked!"

Purdon got fined in Aussie at trials meeting,  $10000 I think, so not though at all!

1 hour ago, tasman man said:

JMO

Fair enough for you to make your points - that's what makes a good debate/forum

13 hours ago, tasman man said:

JMO

Could't disagree with you more TM.

Entrapement, Really????

He knew what he'd given them and any withholding periods...

How many senior trainers do you see being brought before the JCA for similar offences? 

EVERBODY knows the rules.

Personally I think he got off lightly. Throw the book at them, it's time to start stamping this out once & for all. Otherwise the industry looks weak and it gives the animal welfare groups more ammunition!!

Bute is fully flushed from the horses system around 40 days . I last used it after my colt had been gelded. Some people want to throw the book at him on here,  where in fact it has its purpose ( animal welfare ) . I would not know what performance enhancing qualities the drug has but with the rule being 4 days ,  suspect pretty much none. 

I remember that not long ago I was reading the stipes report  and noticed a trainer had advised the stipes of injecting the hoofs prior to raceday. Just saying that there are instances where a horse has some pain and legal to train and race them with pain relieve . Being done at the trials for this drug is harsh in my conclusion. Who would want to be a trainer ?

2 hours ago, Navitas said:

Could't disagree with you more TM.

Entrapement, Really????

He knew what he'd given them and any withholding periods...

How many senior trainers do you see being brought before the JCA for similar offences? 

EVERBODY knows the rules.

Personally I think he got off lightly. Throw the book at them, it's time to start stamping this out once & for all. Otherwise the industry looks weak and it gives the animal welfare groups more ammunition!!

Throwing the book at Industry participants hasn't done much for the Industry in recent times .

Senior 'participants' seem to get  into their fair share of strife...quite a long list I suspect.

Do young participants know all the rules ? They should ,but do they ?

There are a hell of a lot of rules ,involving not only horse training and welfare but rules around business ,employing and being an Industry participant.

I suspect education of the rules and expectations/consequences are not widely known 100%.

Hence situations like  the one being discussed here could be used as an education opportunity rather than a chance to throw the book at a youngish first time offender.....just like out in the real world.

3 hours ago, tasman man said:

I suspect education of the rules and expectations/consequences are not widely known 100%

Some good points you have made TM. there is a lot to learn regarding a lot of the aspects you pointed out. 

Most trainers spent years working in the industry for the previous generation trainers so get a solid footing. even then, some of the business and treatment regimes would be tricky.

A position of great responsibility with many 'Investors' relying on ones capabilities of preparing a racehorse. (owners and Punters)

probably rivals (trainers/ jocks/drivers) as well , as that horse needs to be well educated for safety , etc....