RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

So You Think

For the love of me I cannot understand why representatives from the NZ racing and breeding industries can't get their acts together to brand So You Think as a New Zealand horse. HE WAS BRED IN NEW ZEALAND!!! There is absolutely sweet FA about that...no interesting stories in the Racing Post, nothing on the blogg sites...nichts, nyets, nahda.

This is a fantastic opportunity...someone pick up the phone....do your job....write some script...organise an interview with BBC or CH4 or Racing UK. Someone must have been given a junket that we have paid for that can help...get on Morning Line...DO SOMETHING!!!!!

He's known up here as the Australian super star....more press than Helen Clark's coming out party...every newspaper, every horse report for Ascot...it's all about the Australian super star....sheeeesh....talk about a lost opportunity.

But...

SO YOU THINK was an Australian Superstar!

Yes, he was bred in NZ, but he never raced here and he did achieve Superstar status in Australia

I have read reports on the Sporting Life site and they always refer to him as So You Think (NZ)

For the love of me I cannot understand why representatives from the NZ racing and breeding industries can't get their acts together to brand So You Think as a New Zealand horse. HE WAS BRED IN NEW ZEALAND!!! There is absolutely sweet FA about that...no interesting stories in the Racing Post, nothing on the blogg sites...nichts, nyets, nahda.

This is a fantastic opportunity...someone pick up the phone....do your job....write some script...organise an interview with BBC or CH4 or Racing UK. Someone must have been given a junket that we have paid for that can help...get on Morning Line...DO SOMETHING!!!!!

He's known up here as the Australian super star....more press than Helen Clark's coming out party...every newspaper, every horse report for Ascot...it's all about the Australian super star....sheeeesh....talk about a lost opportunity.

You're completely right of course Berri. Sadly, NZ'ers 'play their own trumpet' very poorly - they predominantly suffer from 'little country syndrome' which means they have extreme difficulty in seeing the BIG picture - and the BIG opportunities as you've pointed out.

But for sure, someone will say "we should do something about this SYT phenomenon" - but it will be a year after he retires....

I'm pretty sure something was filmed earlier in the week for the BBC and Racing UK. Keep and eye out for it and let us know how it goes.

What chance he will race in the Coral-Eclipse? I will be up north then and have that weekend free, may plan a trip if he is going that way.

Cheers

Jeeesus?

Trying to get through to these plonkers to get off their arrrrrses and do something positive /pro-active is impossible. They do not realise the value of MARKETING THE PRODUCT.

An Aussie once said to me kiwis will not stand up for what they want, so they will not get anything. It would'nt happen in AUS.

I thought the precious Adrian Clark, you know, the one who pulled the rug from under Dummy Myers was the mouth piece for NZ Breeding. Why isn't he on to it?. And SYT runs this Wensday night at Royal Ascot.

... out on his own now A-man - some other bloke doing (or not doing - depending on yr view) the job these days ...

You are spot on Berri, there should be space and info clarifying the fact of SYT being born and raised here.

Leggy, where once NZTM had a significant distribution stream and was used as a great creditable resource for information, Andrew Birch, the new CEO has a mountain to climb to re-establish those credentials.

To his credit, Andrew was a member of the original team that did build a good international network, and he may now be able to restore that credibility.

It will take some energy to get there, but as Aushorse is now a mirror of what NZTM used to be, we have a strong viable unit claiming SYT to be Australian. Some hard yards are required.

Leggy, where once NZTM had a significant distribution stream and was used as a great creditable resource for information, Andrew Birch, the new CEO has a mountain to climb to re-establish those credentials.

To his credit, Andrew was a member of the original team that did build a good international network, and he may now be able to restore that credibility.

It will take some energy to get there, but as Aushorse is now a mirror of what NZTM used to be, we have a strong viable unit claiming SYT to be Australian. Some hard yards are required.

Thanks for that John. Would you elaborate on what caused the loss of credibility and distribution networks so that they are so hard to recover.

Obviously, with the dearth of credible racing journalism in the media at large, NZTM seriously need to be both proactive and effective here.

I wake up to my Racing Post this morning, open it up onto what I consider is the best industry news section of the paper and what do I see.....

AN ENTIRE FACING PAGE with those F*@%$N Australians headlining the page "Australia has produced 3 of the World's best horses in 2011". Aus Horse placed the ad. The biggest picture in the ad is of So You Think. I'm not sure what your interpretation of "produced" is but they've taken us to the cleaners in the "Promo Stakes". To me "produced" means bred.

Did you guys talk personally with Clare so that she would continuously drop the line on BBC that he was a New Zealand horse. Did anyone personally tell her about the rivalry between us and the Aussies so that she could, in front of 6m people, tell her viewers that the Aussies are trying to claim SYT as their own (sounds like Phar Lap who will always internationally be known as an Aussie horse)

The Aussies just got three lengths upside with 200 to go. How is NZ going to make sure that the rest of the World knows this is not a Aussie horse? You've got two days to get it right. Take an ad in the Racing Post and put it right. Start the fight by challanging the Aussies, use them being the stock of criminals, use the rivalry, bring in Phar Lap....just go for it...it's the biggest arena for horse racing and breeding and its happening right now!!! Spend the money...you could have a lot of fun with this if you took this to the press....Aussies vs NZ...have a spat....make a noise....use gorilla tactics....the Aussies certainly have.

Welcome Andrew, nice to see you here.

My thoughts on So You Think, is that he will not beat Workforce at 2400m. Workforce is a very underestimated horse.

6 runs for 4 wins. That included arguably the best weight for age race in the world as a 3yo (without the weight advantage So You Think received) and the fastest ever Derby time. That is a race that has been going a long time at same track with some good horses winning it.....

Good luck people and their opinions

I wake up to my Racing Post this morning, open it up onto what I consider is the best industry news section of the paper and what do I see.....

AN ENTIRE FACING PAGE with those F*@%$N Australians headlining the page "Australia has produced 3 of the World's best horses in 2011". Aus Horse placed the ad. The biggest picture in the ad is of So You Think. I'm not sure what your interpretation of "produced" is but they've taken us to the cleaners in the "Promo Stakes". To me "produced" means bred.

Did you guys talk personally with Clare so that she would continuously drop the line on BBC that he was a New Zealand horse. Did anyone personally tell her about the rivalry between us and the Aussies so that she could, in front of 6m people, tell her viewers that the Aussies are trying to claim SYT as their own (sounds like Phar Lap who will always internationally be known as an Aussie horse)

The Aussies just got three lengths upside with 200 to go. How is NZ going to make sure that the rest of the World knows this is not a Aussie horse? You've got two days to get it right. Take an ad in the Racing Post and put it right. Start the fight by challanging the Aussies, use them being the stock of criminals, use the rivalry, bring in Phar Lap....just go for it...it's the biggest arena for horse racing and breeding and its happening right now!!! Spend the money...you could have a lot of fun with this if you took this to the press....Aussies vs NZ...have a spat....make a noise....use gorilla tactics....the Aussies certainly have.

The racing world is focussed on one stage at the moment and there is a need to maximise the opportunity while you can. I like the Aussie-Kiwi clash idea - take a quote from Barts book and use it.

Australia can produce quick horses, we produce great stayers, point of difference and the USP for NZ.

Doing it after the event shows up as cheap hacks jumping on the bandwagon.

Media kits are yesterdays methods.