RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

How many more will go...Sad to see a Top trainer like him giving up.

McKee calls time on training career

NZ Racing Desk
12 August 2021

New Zealand training great Stephen McKee has announced his retirement.

The co-trainer of champion galloper Sunline in partnership with his late father Trevor, McKee has guided the careers of many a star New Zealand racehorse, among them the likes of another Hall of Famer, Mufhasa, and in more recent years Group One winners O'Marilyn, Hasahalo and Consensus.

โ€œItโ€™s hard to say goodbye to the stables and the team,โ€ McKee said.

โ€œThis has been the centre of my life for four decades but itโ€™s time for me to take a step back. Iโ€™ve been thinking about it for a while. I've been doing this since I was 14 and I'm now 58. I just needed to take a break and you can't do that as a racehorse trainer.โ€

McKee said the "dawn-to-dusk work ethic" of a trainer is finally taking its toll, which meant the time was right to "take some real breathing space for the first time in his life".

โ€œIโ€™ll still be around,โ€ McKee said.

"I wouldnโ€™t want to step out completely but Iโ€™m ready to stop being a full-time trainer and approach my work with horses differently.โ€

McKee's wife Fiona said changes would affect more than just their family, with several long-time stable employees to think about as they work towards winding down the stable by the end of September.

The McKees were talking with staff and owners about the future of the farm and working with everyone involved to find the best outcomes for all concerned, both for staff and for the stable clients' racehorses, she said.

โ€œWe have a dedicated and loyal team - some have been with us for 40 years,โ€ she said.

โ€œWe are so grateful for their years of hard work and enthusiasm. This is a transition for all of us.โ€

The McKee Stable has been one of the most influential stables in New Zealand for the past 40 years, winning the premiership in 1998/99.ย 

While 13-time Group One winner Sunline was the undoubted flagbearer for the operation and took the McKees around the world with her success in Australia and Hong Kong as well as her placing in the Dubai Duty Free (1777m) at Nad El Sheba, a succession of top quality gallopers have raced out of the stable.

In all, Stephen McKee has trained more than 1560 winners, 42 at Group One level, among them more than 150 stakes wins and he boasts the rare feat of training two horses to win 10 or more Group One races.

"It has been a great ride,โ€ he said. โ€œWe're grateful for all the work, friendship, partnership and support we've had across the industry and within our own team, particularly our loyal and longstanding owners, but now it's time to change reins."

Suspect will only accelerate the loss of more trainers IMO when maiden prize money so abysmal and the top end stakes totally cleaned out by one stable (ย have 10 of the 18 top preference nominations for the Tarzino). Monopolistic control of any industry has unfortunate ramifications. Good call for Stephen and family.

Seem to recall he had a health scare couple of years ago may have something to do with it but he would know first hand the precarious state of the industry and with his team winning $270k odd last season, 10% of that equates to just $540 a week.

Not rocket science given the hours and responsibility vs returns. I'm surprised not more are giving up. And from an owners point of view some going toย  ย  ย  ย  ย  $100/day is bloody hard to justify. I think it'll get worse before it gets better.

59 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

He is my mate, and I have nothing but respect for him, and hisย familyย 

This is sad because it reflects the state of the industry

It is how it isโ€ฆโ€ฆ. licenseesย mean nothingโ€ฆ..weโ€™ve been brought to our knees โ€ฆsuch is lifeย 

ย 

image.png.8fb5638f7a494c44d26ce9fb4547aefe.png

What's happened poundforpound?, has Scooby made you a maiden with only 6 posts?ย  History gone.... you must be taking this election serious.ย  Good luck๐Ÿ™ƒ

image.png

Not sure Shane

Maybe itโ€™s something to do with theย Police, theyโ€™veย have had an unhealthy interest in me for a while, apparently driven by disinformation given to them by a โ€œJames Hunt โ€œ from within the racing industryโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Iโ€™dย guess theyโ€™re involved somehow given that they executed search warrants to access my IP address and all (ย thatโ€™s ALL ), my historic on line activityโ€ฆ.RaceCafe was a subject of interest to them Iโ€™m toldโ€ฆโ€ฆScooby might like to comment on thatย 

Iโ€™m also told they found absolutely nothing โ€ฆโ€ฆalthough both raids on my house were productive for themโ€ฆ.they found me cooking for the homeless both timesย 

Itโ€™sย five years next month since Operation Inca started, five years, and theyโ€™ve still found nothingย 

13 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Not sure Shane

Maybe itโ€™s something to do with theย Police, theyโ€™veย have had an unhealthy interest in me for a while, apparently driven by disinformation given to them by a โ€œJames Hunt โ€œ from within the racing industryโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Iโ€™dย guess theyโ€™re involved somehow given that they executed search warrants to access my IP address and all (ย thatโ€™s ALL ), my historic on line activityโ€ฆ.RaceCafe was a subject of interest to them Iโ€™m toldโ€ฆโ€ฆScooby might like to comment on thatย 

Iโ€™m also told they found absolutely nothing โ€ฆโ€ฆalthough both raids on my house were productive for themโ€ฆ.they found me cooking for the homeless both timesย 

Itโ€™sย five years next month since Operation Inca started, five years, and theyโ€™ve still found nothingย 

Shane Leo does tend to speak his mind very openly at times and yes some historical postingsย ย were removed ,for which I will no doubt be publicly flogged LOL...but I hope he can give the Mayoral thing a real shakeout I am sure some out there will not agree with what what I chose to do but thats up to them.

ย 

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Shane Leo does tend to speak his mind very openly at times and yes some historical postingsย ย were removed ,for which I will no doubt be publicly flogged LOL...but I hope he can give the Mayoral thing a real shakeout I am sure some out there will not agree with what what I chose to do but thats up to them.

ย 

Why should anything be removed?

Yes there are some things that should be, but in this case it's as if you are judge and jury and I don't think that's the way it should be.

Liz

2 minutes ago, Leggy said:

When do tickets go on sale for the public flogging Scoobs? It could be fun to attend.

For the Police over Inca ?

Or for the RIU ( Racing Incompetence Unit ) who lied to and or supplied disinformation to the Organised Crime Unit over Inca ?

Or for the original narc, who was coincidentally ย besties with the RIU preferred expert witness, who definitely lied to the Racing Incompetence Unit aboutย Inca ย ?

Or the RIU chief investigator who lied to the Police about โ€œ blood dopingโ€ and PEDโ€™s ?

Or just the Police who fabricated evidence and spent ten million plus dollars on a witch hunt with not a single shred of evidence ?

Or the whole fxxx king lot of them ?

12 minutes ago, Insider said:

Yes there are some things that should be, but in this case it's as if you are judge and jury and I don't think that's the way it should be.

Liz

Why donโ€™t you buy the Cafe off the owner then Daryl ? seeing you seem to know how he should run it โ€ฆ..or is this your limp wristed woke leftie side coming out whereby you know how everyone should act and thinkโ€ฆ.as long as itโ€™s the same way you choose to act and think ?

Remeber the golden rule ? โ€ฆโ€ฆ..he has the gold, he makes the rulesย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Liz

Liz it was my decision when asked.I agreed end of story.I would do the same for you if you asked me too...

2 minutes ago, NextPlease said:

Is this the same Daryl you referred to here?

Why donโ€™t you buy the Cafe off the owner then Daryl ?

Youโ€™re a Curnow.

Heโ€™s a Burrow, with two Rโ€™s in his Darrylย 

He doesnโ€™t have a gambling problem either, and heโ€™s a nice bloke โ€ฆ..albeit slightly gender non specificย 

ย 

Group One winning trainer bows out

By
ย NZ Racing Desk
ย -ย 
ย 
ย 
ย 
ย 
ย 
ย 
ย 
Campbell-A-Hepinstall-T3913-TD.jpg?resiz
Andrew Campbell (right) pictured with Tommy Heptinstall. Photo: Trish Dunell

Andrew Campbell has become the second high-profile trainer in the past week to announce his retirement.

Last week Stephen McKee, famous as the co-trainer of champion racemare Sunline, went public on his intention to pull stumps at his South Auckland operation, and it can now be confirmed that Campbell is following suit.

The Cambridge-based horseman, likewise a Group One trainer per the outstanding sprinter-miler Tavistock, recently sold the property that he bought in 2017 after training from Mastertonโ€™s Opaki racecourse for more than 20 years.

Campbell worked as a plumber in Wellington before opting for life in the Wairarapa developing and trading horses. His focus changed some 15 years ago when he met Wellington real estate guru Tommy Heptinstall, who encouraged him to raise the bar in partnership with a syndicate of investors.

Thatโ€™s how he became the trainer and part-owner of Tavistock, purchased as a Karaka yearling for $85,000, champion sprinter-miler of his year with earnings around $600,000 and retired to stud with a value of more than $3 million.

As a sire, Tavistock was the source of Campbellโ€™s Gr.3 New Zealand Cup (3200m) winner Gobstopper and his brother Werther, a dual Derby placegetter in Australia before his sale to Hong Kong, where he became Horse of the Year.

At age 54, Campbell departs his profession with mixed feelings yet convinced that life as a trainer has lost its allure. Rising costs versus returns, sourcing staff and other challenges have become a burden, but a recent run-in with racingโ€™s judiciary has fast-tracked his decision.

Earlier this month Campbell pleaded guilty to presenting a horse at a Cambridge trial meeting in May with a banned substance in its system, incurring a fine of $2,500.

The unnamed two-year-old did not compete after dropping his rider and being late scratched, but ironically it had been randomly selected for a pre-trial swab which was to reveal traces of the anti-inflammatory corticosteroid dexamethasone.

At the subsequent Racing Integrity Board hearing on August 9, Campbell stated that the horse had a slight puffy eye, and he was given an ointment by his vet to treat it. He applied a fingertip amount to the eye on the afternoon before the horse trialled the next day. He was not aware that Dexamethasone was a prohibited substance.

Despite an acceptance that the amount could not have influenced the horseโ€™s performance, and that the only intention in applying the ointment was for the horseโ€™s welfare, Campbell was found culpable on a presentation charge.ย 

The horse concerned has since been named Riverplate and won a subsequent trial before finishing second on debut to talented filly Mustang Valley at Te Rapa in June. He is scheduled to be flown this week to Melbourne, where he will continue his career.

โ€œI had already made up my mind to finish in November, but when they came at me like that, I decided Iโ€™d had enough, that was the final nail in the coffin,โ€ Campbell said.

โ€œIโ€™ve never been big on vets and Iโ€™m definitely no cheat, so itโ€™s been tough having to deal with what is my first supposed breach of the rules. Itโ€™s not a good feeling.

โ€œLife as a trainer is a big enough battle without having to deal with that sort of stuff. Staffing and costs that just keep going up are making it impossible.

โ€œMy family and I have to work every Sunday because the cost of employing people is simply too much, so now Iโ€™m actually looking forward to packing up and heading back to the Wairarapa to enjoy life.โ€

Heptinstall, who now lives in Melbourne and has gradually migrated the bulk of his racing team to the likes of Victoria-based expats Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young and South Australian Michael Hickmott, supports Campbell fully in his decision to relinquish his licence.

โ€œI donโ€™t blame Andrew at all,โ€ he said. โ€œAs if trying to get by as a trainer in New Zealand isnโ€™t tough enough, to get treated like that for something so insignificant is just too tough on such a genuine guy.

โ€œTalk about using a brick to kill a fly, itโ€™s pathetic.โ€

Campbell harbours no regrets at the path his profession has taken him, most of all for the people he has been associated with and the horses that have been integral to that.

โ€œRacing has been a wonderful game,โ€ he said. โ€œIโ€™ve had plenty of good times with some fantastic people who have become lifetime friends.

โ€œItโ€™s just a bloody shame it has to end like this.โ€

He had intended for Tannahill to be his final raceday starter at Cambridge on Wednesday, but with the abandonment of the meeting due to COVID lockdown, the final curtain will now be at Saturdayโ€™s rescheduled meeting.ย 

โ€œIโ€™ve entered him for Saturday and hopefully heโ€™ll be a starter,โ€ Campbell said. โ€œThat will be it though, end of story.โ€