RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Written Tycoon

On the track, Written Tycoon claimed the Todman Stakes (Gr 2, 1200m) at two and ran 11th in the Golden Slipper (Gr 1, 1200m) when trained by Grahame Begg, but his career as a three-year-old, having been transferred to John O’Shea, was cut short with the horse requiring a tie back operation, a fact that made it harder to find a stud suitor.

Race Record

(in Australia)

Age Runs 1st 2nd 3rd Earnings
2 5 2 1 - A$242,950
3 3 - 2 - A$41,000
4 3 - - - A$5,375
Totals: 11 2 3 - A$289,325
At 2 : STC Todman Slipper Trial S., Gr.2 (1200m beating Domesday and Flying Pegasus), AJC Seppelt Wines 2YO H. (1100m)
At 3 : 2d AJC San Domenico S., Gr.3 (1000m to Media and beating Snitzel), STC Satellite S., L (1100m to Crimson Reign and beating Flying Pegasus)

Yeah Written Tycoon is the story of the year of the Australasian breeding industry hands down. It's just heartening to know a stallion can start with such a low stud fee (A$6,600) and climb so high.

The article does well to concentrate on the hard yakka marketing the stud had to put in at the outset, but they must have continued that through his early result years too. I went through the annals to find the last stallion to take their first Australian general title in their 11th season or later, and I had to go all the way back to Zamazaan in 1988 (his 15th). It's a credit to Eliza Park and the owners that they kept pushing. With NZ in breed-to-sell mode these days it's hard to imagine the likes of a Proisir reaching such heights even though he's stringing together amazing results.

Another stat I find interesting about Written Tycoon is his closest cross line is a 5x5 on My Babu. My Babu comes down the Byerley Turk sireline. The closest cross of every Aussie champion since Marscay in 1993 has come down the dominant Darley Arabian line. (Marscay's closest cross was the Goldolphin-line War Admiral).

Written Tycoon's success could be a flash in the pan, or possibly a sign that the breed is crying out for a bit of variety.

Who would have thought Iglesia would leave a son so prepotent.

Looking back now, WT was the sweetest of movers at speed. If you can find a video of his win in the Todman, take a look.

Anders has a similar racing and type profile to WT. And he's affordable.