RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pottsie

Trentham Abandoned

41 minutes ago, Caroline said:

No surprises.weather is quite bad here. Had my table booked with friends all ready to go. Love the figure 8 steeplechase, horses changing legs in the approach just a bit more tactical in the running than other chases imo.

The readers just wanted a comment on the abandonment of Wellington, not a life story.

1 hour ago, pole said:

The readers just wanted a comment on the abandonment of Wellington, not a life story.

Sheesh, Pole.

Let me guess, you are one of the folk who wants more 'colour' on TV broadcasts of Racing - more human interest stories etc.

Caroline's post was delightful.

4 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Weather in the Far North bloody awful…gale force winds and rain since last night and still continuing.

Be surprising if Ruakaka is missing it but good sandy based track so should cope…

Even with all the rain they run 1200m in 1.09 and 1.23 for 1400m……….👍

The Prestige jump races are going to Hastings next Thursday:

https://loveracing.nz/RaceInfo/33805/Meeting-News-Article.aspx

I'm not huge on the moving of races - we do it in the UK too often in my view. 

Group or Grade 1 races I understand but there should be a conscious attempt to find a venue as close to the original as possible. Too often, for commercial and media reasons, this is ignored so a race abandoned on a tight right-hand track ends up on a galloping left-hand track. 

I don't know how often the Wellington Hurdle and Chase races have been lost but it seems curious the rescheduled races couldn't be held at a South Island venue.

In the UK, there's so much redundancy built in to the jumps season saving every race apart from the Grade 1 events is pointless but we do it and wreck the season as a result. 

5 hours ago, stodge said:

I don't know how often the Wellington Hurdle and Chase races have been lost but it seems curious the rescheduled races couldn't be held at a South Island venue.

I find it curious that you would expect them to be transferred to a South Island venue.

1 There was no South Island horse in either the Wellington Hurdles nor the Wellington Steeplechase. 

2 The added cost to owners etc of transporting them South

3 The races need to be run asap as not to disrupt the racing programme of the horses.

4. The next South Island meeting is listed for Oamaru Sunday 25 July where  don't have jumps racing. and the next SI meeting being 7 August the first day of the Grand National meeting.

5 By going to Hastings on Thursday this allows the races to be run asap and on a track most have jumped at previously.

The transfer to Hastings on Thursday is a no brainer.   

1 hour ago, rdytdy said:

I find it curious that you would expect them to be transferred to a South Island venue.

1 There was no South Island horse in either the Wellington Hurdles nor the Wellington Steeplechase. 

2 The added cost to owners etc of transporting them South

3 The races need to be run asap as not to disrupt the racing programme of the horses.

4. The next South Island meeting is listed for Oamaru Sunday 25 July where  don't have jumps racing. and the next SI meeting being 7 August the first day of the Grand National meeting.

5 By going to Hastings on Thursday this allows the races to be run asap and on a track most have jumped at previously.

The transfer to Hastings on Thursday is a no brainer.   

My apologies - I wasn't trying to be provocative. You have to remember I'm in the UK and I had a bit of a senior moment and forgot Trentham was Wellington - I thought it was the course in Christchurch !!

:rcf-embarrassed-3:

15 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Why is it you can have your say but Caroline can not??? Did we have a bad day did we.

No I had a good day. I say it as I see it . Looks like I rattled a few cages with my reply to Caroline.

22 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Weather in the Far North bloody awful…gale force winds and rain since last night and still continuing.

Be surprising if Ruakaka is missing it but good sandy based track so should cope…

Come on, it's winter Ohokaman, we always have windy stormy weather in the mid to end of July, just like we always have a storm and heavy rains in January - read the weather history in Papers Past NZ -Facts are all in there, right back to the 1600's in some cases!!
Brilliant website for all manner of facts, including the Weather...and those who lost lives and homes in one's area.

We are fortunate we live in times we have the transport modes and communications we do, because those pre 1960's didn't and suffered far worse, many didn't survive floods , hence remains of old buildings found from time to time where settlements once were.

That said, some may wake up why did the Telecommunication Giants get rid of Landlines when the coverage is oft zilch when storms and earthquakes happen and loss of coverage...Oh that's right, it was to sell useless JUNK Mobile phones that end up in Tips and on good Agricultural land..

On the 16th July 1950 Trentham Races were also abandoned due to storms and flooding..

Third Day of Wellington Winter Races abandoned

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/GISH19500717.2.79

query=Trentham+Races+abandoned

and in July 1946

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD19460607.2.9

Here's a Racing weather report for Wellington and Auckland in the summer of 1937..

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19370122.2.133

May we all remember the July 1941 Race Meeting was abandoned because Trentham was used as a Hospital for the Measles and Mumps outbreak - when Hospitals didn't really exist, but the Public Health Nurses and Doctors did Home visits by electric Motor Cars or Horseback..Ahh those jolly Climate Change and Epidemic situations we have, Hmmmm

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MS19410702.2.7

On 7/17/2021 at 10:26 AM, Ohokaman said:

coped very well. Dead 5 at start Slow 7 at end ...and it torrented down for about half an hour before the first, with steady showers through the arvo.

10 hours ago, stodge said:

I'm not huge on the moving of races - we do it in the UK too often in my view. 

Group or Grade 1 races I understand but there should be a conscious attempt to find a venue as close to the original as possible. Too often, for commercial and media reasons, this is ignored so a race abandoned on a tight right-hand track ends up on a galloping left-hand track. 

In the UK, there's so much redundancy built in to the jumps season saving every race apart from the Grade 1 events is pointless but we do it and wreck the season as a result. 

the reason is called Cook Strait.