RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

I just thought I would throw in a nomination for the ugliest racing programme of the season.

Timaru this Friday: 7 races programmed; two for jumpers. Only one opportunity for winning males, and that a rating 65 1,200m. Also a rating 65 mile, but just for fillies and mares.

This would be a moderately acceptable programme in the NI where there would be a feature meeting coming up on the Saturday. But there is no feature meeting coming up in a few days in the South. In fact this is the only race-meeting anywhere in the SI for 17 days, and the only race-meeting in Canterbury for 30 days. Yes, 30 days.

Ashburton last week, 21 ballots scratched and others eliminated, so no chance for most of them this week.

Are Canterbury trainers quite happy with this?  Do they not mind having a month between races? Are their owners quite happy with the situation? 

Who comes up with these imaginative programmes? Is it the club or NZTR? Is it expected that a similar programme will be on offer next season when this is a meeting on the AWT at Riccarton.

57 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I just thought I would throw in a nomination for the ugliest racing programme of the season.

Timaru this Friday: 7 races programmed; two for jumpers. Only one opportunity for winning males, and that a rating 65 1,200m. Also a rating 65 mile, but just for fillies and mares.

This would be a moderately acceptable programme in the NI where there would be a feature meeting coming up on the Saturday. But there is no feature meeting coming up in a few days in the South. In fact this is the only race-meeting anywhere in the SI for 17 days, and the only race-meeting in Canterbury for 30 days. Yes, 30 days.

Ashburton last week, 21 ballots scratched and others eliminated, so no chance for most of them this week.

Are Canterbury trainers quite happy with this?  Do they not mind having a month between races? Are their owners quite happy with the situation? 

Who comes up with these imaginative programmes? Is it the club or NZTR? Is it expected that a similar programme will be on offer next season when this is a meeting on the AWT at Riccarton.

Oamaru race on Sunday week,a feature meeting then nothing for two weeks at Riccarton,there is actually no reason why Timaru couldn't run a feature meeting on sunday as there is no racing at all on sunday,next year Timaru lose this date completely next year,it goes to AWT,,I've said before Timaru are getting the poor rub of the green,.

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Are you being truthful and have you gathered your facts ?

Historically ,I believe the South Island has always just had 4 meetings in July , possibly due to the fact that it is only one sandhill away from the South Pole and tho Timaru and Oamaru have had some good tracks they have also had some postponed races/meetings also. Always been a little lull before the 3 x days at Grand National week.

Back in the day the best Southern mudders  would go to Trentham for their features !

Ashburton had good stakes last week ,a few ballots maybe but the slow Northern slugs still making their way South by the truckload, Oamaru is next Sunday...at this time of year its a whole region......South ....so whether Canterbury or not hardly relevant.

And Timaru had to drop one race , no surprise....the Open Steeplechase due to insufficient entries.

The 1600m mares race is a Pearl Series race.....though not many eligible but will still be a good sized field while the r65 1200 will take any ballots plus NZTR splitting that race.

Plus ,in their sense of fairness ,they also splitting the Maiden 1200.

Looks like there will be 8 x good sized races......seen uglier !

34 at trials today ,priming up for National week.

2 hours ago, tasman man said:

Are you being truthful and have you gathered your facts ?

Historically ,I believe the South Island has always just had 4 meetings in July , possibly due to the fact that it is only one sandhill away from the South Pole and tho Timaru and Oamaru have had some good tracks they have also had some postponed races/meetings also. Always been a little lull before the 3 x days at Grand National week.

Back in the day the best Southern mudders  would go to Trentham for their features !

Ashburton had good stakes last week ,a few ballots maybe but the slow Northern slugs still making their way South by the truckload, Oamaru is next Sunday...at this time of year its a whole region......South ....so whether Canterbury or not hardly relevant.

And Timaru had to drop one race , no surprise....the Open Steeplechase due to insufficient entries.

The 1600m mares race is a Pearl Series race.....though not many eligible but will still be a good sized field while the r65 1200 will take any ballots plus NZTR splitting that race.

Plus ,in their sense of fairness ,they also splitting the Maiden 1200.

Looks like there will be 8 x good sized races......seen uglier !

34 at trials today ,priming up for National week.

Hello Tas. I know you never agree with my posts, but at least you always read them, and usually comment, so I give you credit for that.

Not quite sure what you mean by " Are you being truthful and have you gathered your facts." I don't think I have made anything up here.

This is the first time in my memory (which goes back quite a few years) that there has been a two week break leading into National week. You mention 4 meetings traditionally in July, that is correct, but this is the first time one of those 4 was at Wingatui, which doesn't really fit logically into any pattern. This Timaru meeting has usually had several races for 65s, 74s, 84s etc, so this is the first time it has been downgraded like this.

You often comment on ex Northerners making up Southern fields, as if that is a bad thing. I think its a good thing. Surely that is what tiered racing is all about? All horses find a level at which they are competitive and we as punters get to have good sized, even races to bet on. And owners get retained with some chance of getting a return. I thought it was great that Beauty Star had a good win and earned good money at Ashburton last week. That's exactly as things should work. In Aussie they send horses to SA or Queensland if they aren't competitive in Vic or NSW. We have seen several NI horses sent to Aussie recently, and others sent to the SI. That's exactly the way it should happen.

You mention Trentham. No Southerners this week, for possibly the first time ever. That is a consequence of running down Southern racing. I have always thought Trentham would struggle without Southern input. Based on fields for feature jumps in the North this season I do worry what the Riccarton jumps fields will be like, but I suspect they won't really care.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:35 PM, We're Doomed said:

Hello Tas. I know you never agree with my posts, but at least you always read them, and usually comment, so I give you credit for that.

Not quite sure what you mean by " Are you being truthful and have you gathered your facts." I don't think I have made anything up here.

This is the first time in my memory (which goes back quite a few years) that there has been a two week break leading into National week. You mention 4 meetings traditionally in July, that is correct, but this is the first time one of those 4 was at Wingatui, which doesn't really fit logically into any pattern. This Timaru meeting has usually had several races for 65s, 74s, 84s etc, so this is the first time it has been downgraded like this.

You often comment on ex Northerners making up Southern fields, as if that is a bad thing. I think its a good thing. Surely that is what tiered racing is all about? All horses find a level at which they are competitive and we as punters get to have good sized, even races to bet on. And owners get retained with some chance of getting a return. I thought it was great that Beauty Star had a good win and earned good money at Ashburton last week. That's exactly as things should work. In Aussie they send horses to SA or Queensland if they aren't competitive in Vic or NSW. We have seen several NI horses sent to Aussie recently, and others sent to the SI. That's exactly the way it should happen.

You mention Trentham. No Southerners this week, for possibly the first time ever. That is a consequence of running down Southern racing. I have always thought Trentham would struggle without Southern input. Based on fields for feature jumps in the North this season I do worry what the Riccarton jumps fields will be like, but I suspect they won't really care.

Hello WD....thanks for giving me  some credit.

Obviously you regularly go into bat for South Island racing , so a thread started by WD can be guaranteed to be negative ,cynical and supporting South Island ,blaming 'they' or NZTR for ruining it and also Jumps racing. So one headed UGLY set alarm bells ringing !

But yet again you distort the facts.....you infer the 7 races programmed incl 2 x jumps is somehow disadvantaging the South Island scene.

You fail to mention this is normal programming as 2 of them were OPEN entry jumps racing , which means that had the numbers been such there could have been up to 4x races run on that day . As with previous  South Island jumps races noms were limited [9] and the following farce reduced starters to only 4 , at least 1 x scratching due to jockey sickness. Maybe that situation could be called ugly ,but the the lack of jumps horses , jumps trainers and next to no jumps jockeys  in South hardly the fault of NZTR who continue to support that arm of Industry.

When the Jumps races limited to ONE race NZTR ,as they do regularly , moved swiftly and split the flat races with the most nominations to make up what was a very good programme for an Industry day in winter. Timaru ,often plauded on here for its good winter track ,seemed a bit heavy as it has over the years but lets not get the facts in the way of a good story !Yes ,Timaru and Oamaru can produce great winter footing.

Sadly tho the race course,like many, has been allowed to decline and decay over several decades and the great volunteers have battled bravely.

Unluckily the year prior to the Messara report Timaru had 2 x meetings disrupted by waterlogged surroundings and their plum date after Xmas was also affected by adverse weather. 

A favourite 'points scorer' for you continues to be the meetings when there are 20 -50 ballots in races , you overlook the fact that many of these are the same horses who start in other races.

And you regularly highlight the grade and distance of races absent from a programme when ,in fact ,there have been ample opportunities eg Maiden stayers.

Grades that the slowest slugs are demoted to and no one bets on them.

South Island racing seems well served ,with racing opportunities and stakes possibly exceeding what the betting would deserve....with 5 or 6 meetings in South per month ,horses well catered for. Of the top 16 trainers in NZ with over 250 starters ,at least 6 are trainers based in South or with South stables .A number of top NZ trainers by results are the Southerners. And the jockeys in South seem to earn OK , too .
As per my comment re North horses moving South , its more to question your distorted view that the South is hard done by re opportunities.If things so tough why do folk keep sending more horses South? I done it myself , several times ,its less competitive !

Weather bad in a lot of places today......if it carries on too long the synthetic tracks may help run a few meetings,certainly help training .If jumps racing has any future the trainers need to step up........we're doomed currently cos of the storms , your negaholic support team from CD will be sucking it up big time with Trentham under water.

It never bothered Kumai , Cambridge Fair , My Binnie , Chumson, Destino etc .