RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blossom Lady

Auckland / Counties Merger

Counties Racing Club Chairman Mark Chitty said the merger is a game-changer for thoroughbred racing.

“This marks the beginning of an exciting new chapter for our industry,” Chitty said. “ATR will be aiming to double average stakes money per race to $100,000 to retain industry participants and attract young people into the industry.

Really…..????🤔

https://www.racing.com/news/2021-07-09/news-international-watershed-moment-for-auckland-racing

Why the ???? Dave. Is it about attracting the young people into the industry. Pukekohe is a vibrant town and would make an attractive training base. I can see the big outfits like Te Akau taking some boxes so they can more easily raid the Auckland riches. Time will tell.

Stick is well situated at Ardmore. Hope he can cash in

3 hours ago, Nerula said:

Why the ???? Dave. Is it about attracting the young people into the industry. Pukekohe is a vibrant town and would make an attractive training base. I can see the big outfits like Te Akau taking some boxes so they can more easily raid the Auckland riches. Time will tell.

Stick is well situated at Ardmore. Hope he can cash in

More about the $100k stakes a race Neil…or have I misread this ?

4 minutes ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Is it 100k minimum per race or 100k average.

Happy with either.

It says average.

"average prize money per race is anticipated to be bolstered to $100,000"

3 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Is it 100k minimum per race or 100k average.

Happy with either.

Definitely AVERAGE ....the average currently is something like $65k.

Any average figure is boosted by the 3 x $1million races. 

Every level below that should be boosted but there is NO mention of minimums.

6 hours ago, Nerula said:

I dont think you will see many maiden races except for the odd 2yo one.  So a Saturday 30k would be a 60k.

Given NZTR stakes funding for premier day mdns is being reduced from 30k to 20k, that would not be surprising. The new entity would have to fund the balance wouldn't they?

Premier 30ks are already going to 40k from NZTR funding. It doesn't sound like they plan to chip in a whole lot from the investment portfolio to achieve a 100k average. $1.5m is being contributed to just 2 restricted races.

If you had the time it may be possible to do the sums and see what the minimums would be. But I'm pretty sure I heard Alderslade say 30k becomes 60k.

Its said you need a Saturday horse not a Wednesday one. in time change that to an Ellerslie horse.

10 minutes ago, Nerula said:

If you had the time it may be possible to do the sums and see what the minimums would be. But I'm pretty sure I heard Alderslade say 30k becomes 60k.

Its said you need a Saturday horse not a Wednesday one. in time change that to an Ellerslie horse.

Like to know where that idea came from. None of my data suggests that there is any significant difference in ability between a Saturday winner and a Wednesday one in NZ. Do you have data to the contrary?

37 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Like to know where that idea came from. None of my data suggests that there is any significant difference in ability between a Saturday winner and a Wednesday one in NZ. Do you have data to the contrary?

Racing ,as in sport and life , sees ones level of incompetence kick in.

The data is there are a lot of slow horses and horses of lesser ability that just can't compete on premier or feature days.

The Super club is still a couple of years away so a lot of detail still to be finalised , like Avondale's role and what courses will host the main jumps races.

The current plan talks of up to 40 meetings at Ellerslie , with say 8 of those  run by Avondale .

Currently Ellerslie has about 20 ,Avondale 8 and Counties about 10........assuming Avondale is a very cash-rich club the stakes levels being discussed should be sustainable and targeted by horses from around NZ.

To date ticking a lot of boxes ........a strathayr track able to handle much more racing and higher stakes which should encourage more promising horses being retained to race in NZ.

Other clubs will be encouraged to lift their game to stay relevant , but industry days will still be commonplace around the country.

As the Super Club presentation stressed "Doing nothing is not an option". NZ's ROI of 22% to owners compared with 48% in NSW is a gap that needs closing.

Thats data worth concentrating on !

32 minutes ago, tasman man said:

The data is there are a lot of slow horses and horses of lesser ability that just can't compete on premier or feature days.

Of course, but they wont win or be competitive on weekdays either. What data? Please post it.

34 minutes ago, tasman man said:

To date ticking a lot of boxes ........a strathayr track able to handle much more racing and higher stakes which should encourage more promising horses being retained to race in NZ.

I like the Strathayr idea but it surely won't cope with more racing than any other well constructed turf track or combination of tracks such as we have now?

7 hours ago, Leggy said:

$1.5m is being contributed to just 2 restricted races.

Those races are sweepstakes. The $1.5m is presumably being put in by the owners of the horses. The other $500,000 is generously being donated by the wider industry.

46 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Those races are sweepstakes. The $1.5m is presumably being put in by the owners of the horses. The other $500,000 is generously being donated by the wider industry.

Yes. But it's listed as a club contribution in the draft funding policy doc.

13 hours ago, Leggy said:

I like the Strathayr idea but it surely won't cope with more racing than any other well constructed turf track or combination of tracks such as we have now?

I'm wondering what t he watering costs will be (maybe none since Ellerslie has a water bore). Strathayr was put in at Moonee Valley because of racedays being cancelled due to the track being too rain affected to race on. It drains really well. Surely that must mean it  requires lots of water to keep the grass growing in summer (its going to drain away as fast as its put on). Why doesn't Flemington or Caufield have Strathayr? Surely they know how great it is since Moonee Valley is close by. Singapore and Hong Kong have Strathayr tracks. Singapore has lots of year round rain and Hong Kong heavy rain in Summer.

One of the Strathayr claims is significantly reduced water requirements. The below is quite old though.

Water Savings The perched water table profile encourages deep roots and reduces overall water usage. Experience is that less water is used and savings occur. eg. Suncorp Stadium ­ Reduced water level usage by 54% while maintaining rootzone depth of 230mm

Frank Casimaty said this a couple of years back.

The profile features a perched water table design which means it holds extra water in the bottom part of the profile. This reduces how frequently the track needs to be watered and helps encourage deeper roots which also help to maximize water use efficiency. Also the track is extremely consistent all the way around so all the track needs the same amount of water and so you don't need to over water some areas to make sure poorer areas get enough. While the grass itself uses the same amount of water on any track the fact that you can more accurately apply only what the grass needs without waste can result in very significant water savings. Savings of 20% or more would in many situations is very achievable. More importantly a consistent healthy track will take more use and be better to race on. Also management of irrigation is much easier as the manager does not have to worry about watering close to a race meeting because of the free draining profile.

I was an apprentice chippy working on the Ascot stand,. Vuksich and Borich did the site works. The city end of the Ascot stand ran into live rock. An old Dally opened up a big fissure and to test and the Ellerslie fire brigade came with 2 hoses. The ran water for hours. Thats where the stormwater from the Ascot stand  goes.

Remuera, Ellerslie, Mt Wellington is all on volcanic rock and Ellerslie course is in a basin. Never going to run out of water.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, Leggy said:

Well clearly it does - look at Sha Tin, they race there nearly every weekend and its always good

On 7/10/2021 at 9:19 AM, Leggy said:

Jeez Leggy the Saturday metro winners just earn more. If you have a horse of ability you would want it to win on a Saturday (non industry day) In time an Ellerslie day.