RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Krug - Blair

Seems to a lot being/has been made about Blair driving this week in Oz.      I think perhaps it mainly media hype/stirring as really I would think no real problem.     While he there, if border closes temporarily or if returning Kiwis are once again forced into a 2 week quarantine surely he could stay over there until normality returns.    He wouldn't have any problems getting drives I wouldn't imagine over there!

Here you go, courtesy MickG:

Champion New Zealand reinsman Blair Orange is set to play travel pause bingo over the next few weeks so he can partner Krug in the historic first running of Australia’s newest race.

That could mean a two weeks stay or even longer in Queensland and the chance to double or triple his meagre number of Australian winners.

Orange will win the New Zealand driver’s premiership for the fourth straight season on July 31 as he sits 40 wins clear of John Dunn at the head of the table, so can head to Australia without having to jeopardise that title.

But there was still some factors to consider before accepting the drive on Krug, second favourite for the inaugural $250,000 Rising Sun at Albion Park in Brisbane on Saturday night.

While Orange can get into Queensland easily enough, he, like any other Kiwi there, will face uncertainty about when he can return, with the next Government announcement expected tomorrow.

“At this stage I am going over hoping to come back on Monday, but we all know that may not be possible,” says Orange.

“And if I can’t that is ok. He (Krug) has the Queensland Derby on July 24 and if I had to stay there all the way through until that it wouldn’t be a disaster.

“My first thought is of course I want to be able to come home, but the racing is pretty quiet here and I don’t often get to to drive in Australia and especially horses like him with big chances in major races. So I will be guided by what the Government  says.

“To be honest a break away from driving so much wouldn’t do me any harm. I am getting to that point of the season when I could do with a small break.”

Remarkably for a driver who has been at the top of his industry for a decade, initially finishing second to good friend Dexter Dunn on the premiership before taking over his mantle, Orange has driven just one winner in Australia.

“I drove Rozelski to win a heat of the NSW Oaks a few years ago but she had no luck in the final,” remembers Orange.

“I have also driven at Albion Park for one night and, of all places, Horsham for a drivers' series, but I have never even driven at a major track like Melton. So I am pretty excited to get back over there, the Rising Sun looks a great race.”

Krug has drawn barrier one in the race for three and four-year-olds and is second favourite even up against Auckland Cup winner Amazing Dream, Miracle Mile runner-up Expensive Ego and Auckland pacer Copy That, the latter a stunning winner at Albion Park last Saturday.

Krug goes into the race an easy winner of the Redcliffe Derby last start when handled by Anthony Butt and even though Butt is committed to Copy That this Saturday he has given Orange a good push for Krug’s current form.

“We all know he is a good horse, he won both our Derbys here, but the dynamics of this race are really interesting.

“I will be trying to make the most of the ace and if we can lead great, but I am told Kowalksi Analysis, who has drawn barrier four, is also very quick, so I see us leading or trailing.

“After that a lot might depend on pressure, but I am looking forward to being part of it and trying to get that second Aussie win, and maybe a third in the Derby in a few weeks.”

Cheers Iraklis

19 hours ago, eljay said:

He wouldn't have any problems getting drives I wouldn't imagine over there!

Wouldn't get a drive.   The drivers for certain trainers are rock solid in Brisbane.

Dixon has Sanderson and Petroff, to help, the 4 McMullen siblings have set stable drives , Dawson's and Grahams likewise, Butler has daughter Chloe and Barnes. not much left for anyone else.

The drivers are in Fact so 'regular' , they Literally Drive in their own 'colours',( instead of owner or trainers colours)  and use their own 'Sulkies' on most of their drives. 

Afterall, Bob Butt hasn't even put him on GOLD CHAIN  this week in the last race???  Why would any locals put him on. ?

4 hours ago, Pure Steel said:

s. 

Afterall, Bob Butt hasn't even put him on GOLD CHAIN  this week in the last race???  Why would any locals put him on. ?

Simply because he leaves them all gasping as far as driving ability goes.      Not much (if at all) inferior to Dexter and look what he's shown them in the States!

50 minutes ago, eljay said:

Simply because he leaves them all gasping as far as driving ability goes.      Not much (if at all) inferior to Dexter and look what he's shown them in the States!

Dexter hasn't 'shown it to them ' in Brisbane though. And Blair has ZERO wins in Brisbane . Grant Dixon has near 5000 wins . Grant's ex-missus Natalie Rasmussen has a fair few wins in Brisbane too. would of plonked either of them on KRUG myself , and take the resulting WIN. although think they may be hoping for an Amazing Dream Win I suspect lol.

The locals drivers in Brisbane are of EXCEPTIONAL standard with thousands of wins between the team of 15-20 regular drivers. No need to put Mr Orange on anything.

You didn't answer why he's not on GOLD CHAIN from NZ ? would he get it home?

ex-pat kiwi Mr ANTHONY BUTT (near best driver going around IMO)  is in town already, as you all know on, COPY THAT and AMERICAN DEALER . has picked up one 40-1 drive in the 2 year old race the Paleface Adios Classic race 9.  one local drive for the champion driver only. Just shows the GREAT quality of the local experienced drivers. .

sorry to say there's EXTREME DOUBT, that there's anyone gasping about Blair on this side of the Tasman. 

Ah settledown Pure mate LOL probably cos Bob Butt drivin the horse (GoldChain) himself, why? cos he wants to 😆 and as for Sat night, after race is done, maybe you will all be gaspin; Krug aint no mammas boy mate, and if anyone can get him home especially from that draw, Blair can! he knows the horse an all his, his quirks LOL Cran will have him cherry for this and if yuh wanna see the last time Cran had him 'cherry' take a look at the Woodlands Nthn Derby at Alex Park....

Cheers Iraklis

2 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Ah settledown Pure mate LOL probably cos Bob Butt drivin the horse (GoldChain) himself, why? cos he wants to 😆 and as for Sat night, after race is done, maybe you will all be gaspin; Krug aint no mammas boy mate, and if anyone can get him home especially from that draw, Blair can! he knows the horse an all his, his quirks LOL Cran will have him cherry for this and if yuh wanna see the last time Cran had him 'cherry' take a look at the Woodlands Nthn Derby at Alex Park....

Cheers Iraklis

Excellent meeting tomorrow night, and yes Krug and Copy That have already done some 'Gasping efforts' in Qid with a track record at Redcliffe Derby for Krug and Copy That's big finish last week.

I was disagreeing with Eljay that 'Blair (winless at Forbury finale)Orange 'wouldn't have trouble getting drives in Brisbane. He certainly would have trouble, 

Youve seen the quality of Queensland drivers first-hand with the amazing NATALIE RASMUSSEN burning up the NZ tracks for a few years now. my pleasure, no need for thanks.

(Nat is still the current Interdominion Champion actually , having won the last one in Auckland, a true reflection of her ability)

GOLD CHAIN copped a lot of criticism for the drive last week. Thought if Blair as good as what NZ says , you'd plonk him on to rectify things.

don't worry I'm still cheering the kiwi's too, would give up my lucky socks lol, to see Spellbound, Spankem and Amazing Dream all win for Mark tomorrow night lol.