RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Winner69

S Phelan fined $800 for misconduct

6 minutes ago, JOT said:

I am Maori and laughed out loud when he made that comment.
As an analogy it immediately took me back to many of my mates who have relied on talent and not hard work to get by.

Must so be fitting of the horse.

Glad it made you laugh JOT and took you back to  good memories  ,  no one surely is saying this guy is  a mad racist he just said something on the spot after a fabulous horse he must be very attached to won , iam sure he meant no harm at all however  it was a racial slur even if in jest and racing will have some guidebook and policy of what is acceptable for public consumption , my view is they had no option in this instance but to take action and probably had to fine him  , Iam not a woke warrior or a communist  , it's just the reality of 2021 .Say something someone's gonna get offended by on TV and bang there's a fine and or ban .

9 hours ago, gubellini said:

He (Big Mike) must have a bit of Maori in him. Sometimes he doesn't try.

Presumably in today's PC world you won't be able to incorporate the word Maori in a horses name.

I think you are allowed to say the word Maori on TV , I hear the word on TV , I think  the rest of the words around it  is where it goes wrong for the bloke .

As for names your logic with respect is lunacy , you can name a horse a name if it passes certain tests , English King races in OZ for Moroney , now if he was renamed English followed by something derogatory or used in a way to denigrate a race or nationality it might be rejected  , so you should be fine in your naming . Just stay clear of being an amateur stand up comic using 1970s humour on the racing TV channel  and I  think you can panic no more. 

10 hours ago, gubellini said:

Presumably in today's PC world you won't be able to incorporate the word Maori in a horses name.

Ironically, if he had said Irish or Australian or Pom nobody would have given a stuff.

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Ironically, if he had said Irish or Australian or Pom nobody would have given a stuff.

I reckon dollar to a cent he would have been given a fine  , I would have been most upset if he had said Poms were lazy , I wouldn't have complained though as it's way  too much effort   .

He's got a horse and half with Big Mike though,  good on him .

We have a Fijian chap in our rugby team, he is our winger, a bloody top bloke and his nickname is Marmite, funnily enough it's because he loves Marmite. So are we not allowed to call him that anymore because the PC brigade would obviously think it's for other reasons ... mmmm.

15 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

You’re such a cock sometimes 

I distinctly remember George Simon telling a funny joke about some Irish drunk during a steeplechase a couple of years ago, and no one gave a flying fuck.

Woke and weak pricks like you empower the virtue signallers and culture cancellers who seem determined to make us all think and act in a singular monochromic  manner …. It’s a crock

As for the English, well they smell, they don’t typically bath, they're soap dodgers, they’re lazy bastards, far too left wing, they talk funny, have unwarranted superiority complexes, and they’re fucking useless at nearly every sport on the planet ….. and on that subject they have a family of thick dullards pretending to be of royal stock, one of whom is clearly a bastard, and a ranga at that, whose mother, if captured correctly by the sculptor would’ve been prostrate with her legs in the air 

Woke , weak  pricks  , hahaha.  Love it . Yep that's me .

Not too bad at Rugby , Cricket and Football on the whole the old Poms .Football quite a tough sport because a lot of people play , Poms semi in World Cup , Semi tomorrow not too bad , Rugby team monstered the ABs when it mattered few years back and a cricket team won World Cup with the massive  help of a kiwi / pom . Heavyweight boxers go ok too at times .How many countries won the Football, Cricket,  Rugby World Cup trifecta . 

Bathing is overrated., when you start to smell your own body odour that's the time to bath my parents told me . I always seem to have loads social distance and also  plenty of space in my various sporting pursuits .

Interesting , no one minds Irish jokes , ok have a go in the Falls Road , have you been there ?? , I have, it's not a place for some weak woke pricks by the way , but i was a lot younger and fitter then .

Cheering on the Poms tomorrow P4P  ???? 

22 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

You’re such a cock sometimes 

I distinctly remember George Simon telling a funny joke about some Irish drunk during a steeplechase a couple of years ago, and no one gave a flying fuck.

Woke and weak pricks like you empower the virtue signallers and culture cancellers who seem determined to make us all think and act in a singular monochromic  manner …. It’s a crock

As for the English, well they smell, they don’t typically bath, they're soap dodgers, they’re lazy bastards, far too left wing, they talk funny, have unwarranted superiority complexes, and they’re fucking useless at nearly every sport on the planet ….. and on that subject they have a family of thick dullards pretending to be of royal stock, one of whom is clearly a bastard, and a ranga at that, whose mother, if captured correctly by the sculptor would’ve been prostrate with her legs in the air 

As Pogo would say "best post ever". Welcome back from Rarotonga P4P. Poms not lazy Red Rum? Then why in my past visits to old blighty with friends were the tradies amongst my team in such hot demand ? And I even found the hygiene issue in accommodation a source of frustration--fancy having to pay the landlady 25P for a bath plug every time you wanted to take a bath or needing funds for the califont! Jokes such as "Where does a Pom hide his money?--under the soap" had a basis in truth.

5 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Rugby team monstered the ABs when it mattered few years back and a cricket team won World Cup

Kaboom! 

And I believe with that comment, Red Rum has done enough to drop the mic.

35 minutes ago, Palliser said:

We have a Fijian chap in our rugby team, he is our winger, a bloody top bloke and his nickname is Marmite, funnily enough it's because he loves Marmite. So are we not allowed to call him that anymore because the PC brigade would obviously think it's for other reasons ... mmmm.

Once again,  it's not about individuals here , it's about an organisation catering for  large audience,  no organisation  can ignore that . Accept it move on , you cannot go on TV and stereotype a racial group on a negative way in 2021 and get away with it , it's not an opinion , it's a fact.  

We can all give thousands of examples of being call this and that,  I don't give a flying fuck being call a fat,  lazy ,smelly , soap dodging,  cowardly , weak as batshit  pommy fuckface , but if a licence holder pointed at me on track on TV and call me it on trackside and I said yes I am  of those , the licence holder will get fined,  it's the way it is .

3 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The Falls Rd is in fucking Belfast, that’s not Ireland, it’s occupied territory 

Falls road is in Belfast, and Belfast is in Ireland. The North of Ireland…

As they say from there it’s Derry not Londonderry. The sign says if you want London start swimming…

5 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The Falls Rd is in fucking Belfast, that’s not Ireland, it’s occupied 

Many who live there see it as part of Ireland !! , an occupied part but part of an Ireland they want united at some point . It's called the Island of Ireland by some interested parties .

2 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Falls road is in Belfast, and Belfast is in Ireland. The North of Ireland…

As they say from there it’s Derry not Londonderry. The sign says if you want London start swimming…

Racetracks there not too bad Shane , bit undulating though. 

5 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Ireland is the Republic….that’s occupied territory, it’s not United Ireland ..it’s Northern Ireland and it’s full of fucking Protestants 

That’s the whole argument. The majority of Ireland just see Ireland as 32 counties. Not only the 26 in the republic. 

15 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

They fly the Union Jack…the flag of The United Kingdom …. They’re not Irish…..you need to spend more time with your head in a book ( not a fucking racebook )

D9A7134F-47BB-4457-92E1-27E79C6F24D1.png

What provinces do the National Rugby Team of Ireland represent ? 

I do read a lot of racebooks, surprising the amount of time wasted that I don't get more winners  , but I  have a working knowledge of Ireland and worked shoulder to shoulder with top people from both traditions from there for many a year .PSNI indicates by the name it's Ireland .

One thing I have learnt from my dealings is a lot of  things are not as simple as it seems on the Island of Ireland , but what is simple is   the racing , pubs and countryside are up with best anywhere .

7 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The racing and the countryside ( arguably the pubs too ) in the Republic you mean surely 

Love Leopardstown and one of best days I've been on track was seeing Istabraq waltz home in the Irish Champion . , the roar and emotion of the crowd was great,  and the old boy is still alive and kicking at Martinstown Stud .

The funeral parlour in the rear of the pub in one small town I popped into once time  didn't thrill me, but the Irish fry ups beat the English hands down .

22 hours ago, gubellini said:

I watched the interview & wondered afterward what the fuss was.  Bugga me I missed it, had I heard that,  I too would have done Exactly what I just did, laughed my lilywhite nono off.  Ko tautoko te korero IMHO.  Shaun would be 1 of the least "race ist" tane in Aotearoa & us Maareez should & do joke about ourselves & anyone else for that matter.  Sad state of affairs for those with no sense of humour.  Mostly only racing people who watch Trackside IF they happen to & one can hear far worse oncourse.  A warning should suffice, after all watch TV & far worse is said & done in many programmes including kids ones.  My Rottweiller's name was given as a term of endearment by me, so calling her mai N.....r may get me in deep tiko considering the breeds Pango LMFAO.  PC gone mad, too many offended by too little of any importance.  Biggist race ists IMHO are the very ones pointing the bone, our areas tino pai 4 that.  I'm so over this kinda tiko & those who partake, much more to life as short as it is, to get knickers in knot over something so he mea iti.  Big Mike's a Pangonui we love like Te whanau o Phelan.  Kia kaha e hoa kia tiketike te māhunga

17 hours ago, Ragamuffin said:

I watched the interview & wondered afterward what the fuss was.  Bugga me I missed it, had I heard that,  I too would have done Exactly what I just did, laughed my lilywhite nono off.  Ko tautoko te korero IMHO.  Shaun would be 1 of the least "race ist" tane in Aotearoa & us Maareez should & do joke about ourselves & anyone else for that matter.  Sad state of affairs for those with no sense of humour.  Mostly only racing people who watch Trackside IF they happen to...

Unless mainstream media get hold of it ! 💩😬

Racially disparaging comment about Māori in relation to occasionally slow race horse earns trainer $800 fine

Marty Sharpe11:53, Jul 08 2021

Shaun Phelan agreed completely that his comments were inappropriate and added that he is himself part-Maori. (File pic)
Joseph Johnson/Stuff
Shaun Phelan agreed completely that his comments were inappropriate and added that he is himself part-Maori. (File pic)

A horse trainer who referred made racially disparaging comments referring to his sometimes-slow horse has been fined $800.

Shaun Phelan, who co-trains the horse BIG MIKE with his father Craig, admitted making an inappropriate comment of a racist nature when being interviewed live on Trackside TV on July 3.

The remark was made when Phelan was interviewed before Race 5 at the Hawke’s Bay racecourse.

In the interview he said:

“Yea, as long as the track today is on that better side of slow, if it’s not the holding side -the only worry the big boy can’t get his feet. When he can’t get his feet out of the ground he just, he’s got a bit of Māori in him and doesn’t feel like having a go….”

The matter was heard by the Racing Integrity Board the same day.

In a recently released decision, the board said Phelan “agreed completely that what he said was inappropriate adding that he is himself part-Maori”.

“The interview took place in the jockeys’ room while he was getting ready for the race, and in that situation he said “you tend to forget that phone interviews are going live on TV”,” the board said.

The board said Phelan had a clear record in regard to the misconduct rule. He had been an apprentice rider and had held a jumps licence for many years. More recently he had become a licensed trainer out of Cambridge in partnership with his father.

“This incident was out of character for him,” the board said.

Shaun Phelan and Upper Cut, on which he won the Grand National Open Steeplechase during The Grand National Carnival week held at Riccarton Park in 2017. (File pic)
Joseph Johnson/Stuff
Shaun Phelan and Upper Cut, on which he won the Grand National Open Steeplechase during The Grand National Carnival week held at Riccarton Park in 2017. (File pic)

Chief stipendiary steward John Oatham said he knew of no other similar cases. The closest was a jockey who had been suspended for two days for making a racial comment to a fellow rider.

Oatham said the stewards did not condone anything of a racial nature in racing and said a fine of not less than $1000 would be appropriate.

The board’s ruling noted that Phelan said the penalty had to be such that neither he nor anyone else in the racing industry made the same mistake in the future.

“It was a wakeup call for him to be more careful and to remember that everything can be recorded. It was not a good look for him or his business,” it said.

“The comments made by Mr Phelan on live television were insensitive, inappropriate and thoughtless. Not only has this reflected poorly on him, but also on the racing industry in general,” the ruling said.

The board said Phelan instantly recognised his comments were racially offensive and unacceptable. He was contrite, did not attempt to downplay his comments, and accepted that he must be held to account.

He was fined $800.

The board said that if Phelan had failed to recognise or understand the gravity of his comments the fine would have been much higher.

26 minutes ago, Shad said:

Personally I think their decision was rather tough, didn't sound to me that there was any intent, we do live in a p c world these day, so anything is possible.

Spot on, lesson for the week for some & 1 I learnt 50 yrs ago, until everyone other than owners pay the bill for nag/s got no say & NO right to any comments so Shauny next time "media" wanna korero,  that mix of Maori/Irish you inherited from your awesome tipuna,  me kati tonu te waha &  Haere ra e koe 

Baz, thank you for quoting the seemingly offensive comments word for word.  I read the comments out to my wife.  She was born in Greece and has been a bit pissed off with Kiwis who ask her 

;How do they separate the men from the boys in Greece.  The cryptic answer is,..."with crowbars".

She had lived in Greece in the 1967-74 period when the grossly offensive fascist Papadopoulos regime, ably backed up by fleas such as Henry Kissinger, reigned supreme.  A repugnant regime that sent the likes of Mikis Theodorakis into exile.  She tells me that not even that contemptible regime would have been so harsh on somebody such as Shaun Phelan.  She is becoming worried as two of our four grandchildren are of Ngati Kahunganui and Ngapuhi extraction.  The idiocy displayed by the extortionate fine placed on Shaun Phelan does absolutely nothing to enhance race relations in New Zealand in the near future.  Indeed, it inflames racist attitudes.  For that reason it is deplorable.

And, Red Rum; for so long I have enjoyed your informative and intelligent comments about European racing.  Your knowledge is a thing of beauty.  But in this instance you are barking up the wrong tree.