RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Winner69

S Phelan fined $800 for misconduct

From stewards report -

S Phelan - Admitted a charge in that he misconducted himself making inappropriate comments of a racial nature in a telephone interview live on Trackside TV regarding his stable runner in Race 5 ‘Big Mike’. After hearing submissions, the Adjudicative Committee imposed a fine of $800

Didn’t catch the comment but must have been a bit dodgy

Will he join Meyers and no more Trackside interviews?

53 minutes ago, Winner69 said:

From stewards report -

S Phelan - Admitted a charge in that he misconducted himself making inappropriate comments of a racial nature in a telephone interview live on Trackside TV regarding his stable runner in Race 5 ‘Big Mike’. After hearing submissions, the Adjudicative Committee imposed a fine of $800

Didn’t catch the comment but must have been a bit dodgy

Will he join Meyers and no more Trackside interviews?

I've read what the comment was , 800 bucks pretty light , in other sports he would be on his arse banned for a decent length , don't know the guy but he needs to up his game .

39 minutes ago, ivanthegreat said:

I've not heard the comments but I can only imagine it refers to the fact that the horse is Black  of the darkest pigment,

Oh really are we not all getting a little too precious. ......... this is going too farnow.

This is a "forum" so let's discuss the perceived infraction that has drawn the reprimand. Evidence please.

1 hour ago, ivanthegreat said:

I've not heard the comments but I can only imagine it refers to the fact that the horse is Black  of the darkest pigment,

Oh really are we not all getting a little too precious. ......... this is going too farnow.

Racing is taxpayer funded at moment so cannot be having it  , he got off light IMHO.  Let's hope he moves on and gets some more winners , lessons learnt and all that jazz .

7 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

I know what he said and the fine is joke, maybe a warning and told to just watch what he says in 

He's got to realise most people , guessing 98 per cent of country couldn't give a crap about racing , garbage like what he said don't help at all, it's embarrassing really  , makes the place look old and stale , racing had to fine him or they would be  shredded .

14 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

He is a Maori himself and just having a bit of a laugh. God help me if Bill T James was still trying to make a career  in comedy in today's world. 

Did the thousands , or  hundreds watching trackside take it as a laugh   that's the problem racing had , he wasn't in the pub with his mates , he was on national TV channel, very unprofessional,  how can racing have people spouting off that crap whoever they are .It's supposed to be getting into modern days .

Billy T was 70s and 80s , those  times gone over finished move on ,  so it's no good using that as an example, also last time I checked Phelan was not a stand up comedian . 

Would it play out well on 6 news TV 1 ask yourself that .

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

He's got to realise most people , guessing 98 per cent of country couldn't give a crap about racing , garbage like what he said don't help at all, it's embarrassing really  , makes the place look old and stale , racing had to fine him or they would be  shredded .

I imagine those 98% weren't watching a racing channel then, so no harm done. It is beginning to sound like it might be PC gone mad.

34 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I imagine those 98% weren't watching a racing channel then, so no harm done. It is beginning to sound like it might be PC gone mad.

Iam going to put my flairs on and get a perm, and watch Starskey and Hutch , this thread is getting retro . FFS you cannot say that shit on national TV , as a licence holder and not expect a fine . There no PC about it , it's common decency . At least he's copped it on chin by looks of it , he's not criminal number 1 , just a wally .

Right iam  off to pub to buy a 50 cent jug , and a 3 buck roast in my big holden then watching snooker on my black and white TV .

8 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Oh I see Red Rum, your chief RIU investigator can call people from South Auckland “savages”, and get himself moved on from the Police after telling the Asian Crime Conference that “you should never trust a man you can blindfold with a shoe lace”….. but a licensee can’t make a joke about a horses colour or habits 

God forbid, let’s delete Noir Filou and the likes from the history books right now

History books are history books ,   Iam no woke warrior for sure .The cop making those comments was a numpty too but worse because he's on the government coin . 

I am certainly not for hung drawing and quartering the bloke , Big Mike is a gallant horse and I wish him more wins with him .

He's has a licence , he make a racial slur , he copped a fine , IMHO justified , pay it move on I reckon.  Each to there own but it's 2021 not 1971.

2 hours ago, chevy86 said:

So what did he say (fudge it a bit if you must) ?

So let me guess! He alluded to the horse's colour and it's ability to show a turn of foot when pursued? Something in that vein? 

I am at a loss that people cannot see a racial slur on one section of the  population on the national racing channel by a licence holder and the term black as a colour as different , you do know black is a colour and it's fine  , some are saying change the names in stud book on here !!!  What a load of bollocks !!  Each to there own , happy punting  . 

This really is a twilight industry here . 

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

We have gone PC mad. The most recent NZ Stud Book I have is the 2000 edition. In it 94 horses have the prefix black. Are these names to be expunged?

Did he just say the colour Black , or was other words in a sentence around it  , like I think this sentence would be fine " Black Caviar was a good racehorse "  or maybe " the chequered flag was black and white " . 

Do you know of anyone saying that Black cannot be used in a sentence anymore . I've never seen that but I'd like to have a read up because that person would be crazy , I've seen people get upset at racial slurs though.  

You do understand this was on National TV .

13 minutes ago, redrew2000 said:

The world is fucked when no one can have a sense of humour any more. Certainly didn't upset me.

Okay , the racing authorities should have canvassed every single viewer to see if they were offended before they acted , maybe the cricket authorities should have canvassed every cricket fan in world before they banned the England bowler the other week for tweets when he was 15 years old  10 years ago .. He was banned , maybe still is for his joke ,  this bloke got 800 bucks and hes an adult, he has hardly been flogged .  We are old buggers in the main , so this shit gets youngsters in does it , they love these old crap jokes , roll up roll up see the show .

3 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

We’ll I’m fucking Irish and I love it when George Simon tells jokes during a race, about “ Paddy walks into a bar….”

You're too fucking precious mate 

Again , it's not about you , it's not about me ,  trust me when I tell you I've had the shit ripped out of me in rough jobs , for many many years since I was 15  . Face to face mates having a laugh, some blokes nasty,  some funny ,  this is not that ,  it's National TV . I love having the shit ripped out of me , I love giving it by the barrel load as it helps when under stressful situations , but you have to cater for the audience,  we can all say I don't mind this and that but trackside has many varied viewers and racing has an image it needs to protect .

Precious,  love it . Cheers .