RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Dream Horse...

Every member of the TAB, NZTR, Jockey's Association, Trainers Association, Owners Association, Breeders Association, The Minister for Racing and the DIA need to see this movie. If you really need to know what you've got to do to replicate the engine of success, then take a leaf out of this movie. The facts might not be right, the truth may be distorted a wee bit but the underlying message is there....all laid bare

This is part of the specification for the success of the industry.

3 hours ago, Berri said:

If you really need to know what you've got to do to replicate the engine of success, then take a leaf out of this movie. The facts might not be right, the truth may be distorted a wee bit but the underlying message is there....all laid bare

What is the underlying message?

can't say that this movie had a recipe for success. They did place the horse with a leading trainer which was a smart move, but with only moderate success , over a long period of time, for 5 wins from 30 starts including having to come back from a serious injury, for a small profit ultimately of 1400 pounds each.

Already there are hundreds of Racing syndicates with 20 approx members enjoying mixed amounts of success in Aus and NZ racing fine selected thoroughbreds . Many are first time owners too, like some in my syndicate. There are so many racing Syndicators that are totally professional at their job, they select yearlings for their members and do a great job, selecting Trainers ,etc.

The DREAM ALLIANCE story seemed very 'risky' and 'haphazard' at times , actually breeding the horse , and paying fees for an extended period.

If you haven't seen it, don't comment. If you have seen it and don't get it, your comment isn't required. Go and see it and decide for yourself as to whether this is how we can help market racing. It's not about the betting although it was a small part of the story. It was a very good movie for what it is

1 hour ago, Berri said:

If you haven't seen it, don't comment. If you have seen it and don't get it, your comment isn't required. Go and see it and decide for yourself as to whether this is how we can help market racing. It's not about the betting although it was a small part of the story. It was a very good movie for what it is

I comment when I feel like it thanks,  required or not required by your good self.  I 'get' things fine . People have different opinions. comment away I say !!! 

I never mentioned betting, I have seen the film . The acting by Toni Collette is first rate as usual. The story is poor. I consider it a POOR marketing strategy if you're looking for the very poor ,inc drunks, people that have nearly lost the house betting, etc ,etc to band togeather and breed and race a horse. I could comment on the fights they had regarding injury, shares , family stresses, etc but too awful that those people were put in that situation. All very poor. 

I consider using a reputable Syndicator who has sound yearlings on the ground on offer , and people who can afford the investment, a way better strategy. And has led to a successful industry.

Was my question too hard about what you consider is the' Underlying message laid bare' ? 

I understand both points of view stated in this thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the doco (with the actual people), and the movie, and found they encapsulated in a very moving way some of the reasons many of us became “racing tragics” for the best part of our lives. 

If other people get that message then it can only be positive for the industry.

My Mum took me to National Velvet as a young child. Maybe that was part of why I got hooked?

On 6/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, Pure Steel said:

What is the underlying message?

can't say that this movie had a recipe for success. They did place the horse with a leading trainer which was a smart move, but with only moderate success , over a long period of time, for 5 wins from 30 starts including having to come back from a serious injury, for a small profit ultimately of 1400 pounds each.

Already there are hundreds of Racing syndicates with 20 approx members enjoying mixed amounts of success in Aus and NZ racing fine selected thoroughbreds . Many are first time owners too, like some in my syndicate. There are so many racing Syndicators that are totally professional at their job, they select yearlings for their members and do a great job, selecting Trainers ,etc.

The DREAM ALLIANCE story seemed very 'risky' and 'haphazard' at times , actually breeding the horse , and paying fees for an extended period.

Not sure it moderate success at all  , they won the Welsh National which would be very special to them , and it's a race with a rich history . The horse took them to some big meetings over a long period as these horses can go on for years .The owners experience at some of these big meetings would be worth decent coin. 

They were lucky though,  three other horses out of mare never got a place and closest they got to winner in   those runs was 10 lengths, those ones weren't even moderate  . However one of those slow racehorses has produced a decent chaser at a top yard .

3 trips to Cheltenham Festival, 2 trips to Aintree Festival Inc 1 run in the  big one , 2 wins Inc Welsh National at their home track Chepstow , a win at the big end season Perth Festival in their big race , that would have been massive day out and second to the mighty Denman in Hennessy at Newbury . No way ever by any measure is  that moderate.  

Maybe I have got extremely sentimental in my old age but for me, this story encapsulates the essence of what the horse racing industry should be about:

- no money to start with

- no previous experience in the industry

- market research into pedigree

- gets a helping hand from a bloke who knows something (but obviously not a lot)

- that bloke nearly lost everything due to previous racing experience

- mare kept in an allotment (throws out every thing theoretical as to where you can breed horses

- lots of love care and attention given to mare

- mare dies during foaling

- foal brought up by humans

- taken to good trainer who first rejects it and then accepts it

- Togetherness of all syndicate members going to races first first race (4th was a success)

- enemy toff who is the Goliath of the story

- first race at top racecourse (Newbury) build up was interesting so was like getting to Wimbledon

- success of first decent race

- offer of good money for the horse (declined of course because how could they sell their pet)

- injury

- recovery when in shouldn't have

- whole town now interested in the horse

- Welsh Grand National success (betting included but only a side line)

- whole town comes out to welcome horse home

Moral of this story....teamwork, hope, love for the animal. eject greed....all the characteristics that should make racing horses great

16 hours ago, Berri said:

Based on a true story, 

"Based" being the operative word but contaminated by film industry license and over-acting. 👺 SEABISCUIT for me for authenticity. JMO.

The ultimate test is seeing how many people who taste early success actually stay in the game long term--reminds me of a media person who had success with a Moroney standout in their first racing foray and then promptly left the arena. Probably fewer than those that get burnt by non-performing syndicate horses and after getting plucked a few times head for the hills--I personally know several. It's a tough game either way!

47 minutes ago, Berri said:

Maybe I have got extremely sentimental in my old age but for me, this story encapsulates the essence of what the horse racing industry should be about:

- no money to start with

- no previous experience in the industry

- market research into pedigree

- gets a helping hand from a bloke who knows something (but obviously not a lot)

- that bloke nearly lost everything due to previous racing experience

- mare kept in an allotment (throws out every thing theoretical as to where you can breed horses

- lots of love care and attention given to mare

- mare dies during foaling

- foal brought up by humans

- taken to good trainer who first rejects it and then accepts it

- Togetherness of all syndicate members going to races first first race (4th was a success)

- enemy toff who is the Goliath of the story

- first race at top racecourse (Newbury) build up was interesting so was like getting to Wimbledon

- success of first decent race

- offer of good money for the horse (declined of course because how could they sell their pet)

- injury

- recovery when in shouldn't have

- whole town now interested in the horse

- Welsh Grand National success (betting included but only a side line)

- whole town comes out to welcome horse home

Moral of this story....teamwork, hope, love for the animal. eject greed....all the characteristics that should make racing horses great

Haven't seen the film , what I've heard is its good  . Clearly it goes a bit away from the true facts, the mare dying during foaling looks like quite a major deviation     , unless the studbook is wrong because she had a few slow ones after Dream Alliance one by Beat All and another by M'Bebe . 

Berri

you have hit the nail on the head. Although they call it the sport of Kings but truly you can buy a cheap horse and have a load of fun, and the same applies to the breeding. Your biggest problem in the industry here is the people administering the sport. By the time you pay all the fees registrations and everything else it deters people from having a go. If you minimize the cost more people will participate. And there will be more horses around like Dream Alliance