RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dalboy

Mile racing

Now the jewels look like they are staying in the North Island, there is definitely an opening for Ashburton to stage its own mile day, not 1700m, New Zealand racing needs to break the 1.50 mile time and realistically Ashburton or Winton can do it. If you could get a major sponsor on board and lure some Aussies over with a sub 1.50 bonus, similar to the Monsanto race years ago. I would love to see a Little Brown Jug format with heats and finals on the same day. Just some food for thought?

The original idea was that it would move around the country.  I would imagine/hope there would be a fair bit of pushback against only running it in the north.

Just over half the horses that raced at The Jewels this year were South Islanders so not sure what the rationale would be for only having in the North. 

I would like to see it return to Ashburton as it is the best mile track in the country by far.  

On 6/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, lamour said:

The original idea was that it would move around the country.  I would imagine/hope there would be a fair bit of pushback against only running it in the north.

Just over half the horses that raced at The Jewels this year were South Islanders so not sure what the rationale would be for only having in the North. 

I would like to see it return to Ashburton as it is the best mile track in the country 

Not sure about best me track in the country,  did they not recently start their short coarse races over a different distance. 

As said in another thread , Ashburton could hold the "lost jewels" of 2020 at probably Gp3 level and stakes. Every NZ owner buys a horse either at the sales or privately  with a view to hopefully get one to compete in it . There are 108 horses that missed out 2020. It would be intriguing  with the likes of Amazing Dream and co overseas.

As for the future of the jewels it should be held about 3 to 4 weeks after the NZ Cup at a fair mile track. (Could throw Auckland or Cambridge in on a 4 or 5 year rotation - I could stomach that)